VLD Feeding issue?

SMF

I keep hearing about people having issues getting VLDs to feed from their rifle's magazine. Is this really an issue or an isolated incident?

Thanks,

Steve

The only way that I could see a VLD having a feeding issue from a magazine is if the person was trying to load his rounds as long as possible and still fit in the magazine. Sometimes when doing this, you can seat the bullet out too far and still have it go into the magazine with a little force. This can cause the rounds to bind up in the magazine.
I don't know about the factory loaded ammo though as I have never tried it.

I personally have never have a problem with them.

Thank you. That's what I thought it could be. I'm loading them about 0.010 off the lands and they seem to be feeding fine for me.

Anyone else have any input on this that we're unaware of?

Steve

Thank you. That's what I thought it could be. I'm loading them about 0.010 off the lands and they seem to be feeding fine for me.

Anyone else have any input on this that we're unaware of?

Steve
You got a pretty good answer above. It's going to depend on what type of action and length of magazine. If the bullet is seated too far out the tip is going to bind on the top of the chamber in some cases because of the angle.

The custom builders take this into consideration and angle their feed ramps accordingly whereas factory rifles will be designed to SAAMI Specs including maximum length.

Of course with a controlled round feed like the M-70 that's not even an issue and you will have no problems as long as they don't exceed your magazine length.

Once again, thank you! So far they feed just fine in my rifles. Even my Savage 10 FLCP-K in 308 Win where I sometimes seat them just touching the lands.

I'm getting ready for a little hog hunting adventure and the .308 Win is what I'm taking on this trip.

Thank's again,

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.