Weatherby feeding issue

The problem on mine was the feed rails didn't lift the bullet higher enough and it was hitting the flat of the barrel well below the chamber.
The answer was.to built the front of the new magazine until it lifted the front of the round and the bullet up high enough to enter the chamber instead of hitting the flat of the barrel.

My weatherby started life as a 378 bee, when I got the rifle in trade, it was chambered in 30-378. Worked a deal with a friend and he chambered it in 338 Norma mag. Mine still has the drop bottom metal (hinged floor plate). I took a pair of pliers and bent the internal box feed lips out to adjust for the larger taper of the 338 Norma mag round. Mine feeds just fine. Second picture shows which rail I adjusted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 79
Along with a careful examination of the spring and follower, I would also suggest you consider a gentle polish of the feed ramp. Fine emery and oil. Don't change the shape, just make it smooth. My Mark V 300 Weatherby Mag started life as 30-06. A Customer purchased it from the PX while in the Navy,. never shot it . He was aboard ship. I bought it from Him. I purchased a new magazine box ,and spring and follower from Weatherby, when I Purchased a 300 Weatherby Mag barrel, from another customer. That guy was re barreling his nearly new 300 Weatherby to 340 Weatherby mag. He was convinced, after he shot his first Elk, the 300 Weatherby was just not enough gun for Elk. He was angry because he needed a second shot. He asked $125 Dollars for his Mag na Ported 26 inch #2 Weatherby Barrel, barrel, I said OK!!! Ill take it. Yes!!!The Bolt face was a magnum Bolt Face of the correct size. I never had a feeding problem , or any problem, after the new parts were installed ,and massaging was done. I had the sights and barrel band installed , just because I can't leave stuff alone.

Attachments

• 300 Weatherby  mag  Leupold Scope.jpg
    300 Weatherby mag Leupold Scope.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 41
  • photo (13).JPG
    photo (13).JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 40
Well..a closer look shows that the rounds (both loaded and empty) are diving. Going to call Weatherby in the am to see if they have the right spring/follower. Now.....One of the guns is printing 10 - 12 inch groups.....went through everything I could think of. Nothing worked and my buddy was getting ****ed. Then a bulb went off....maybe its the bullets making contact with the brake....it was bored from 30 to 338. Three shots without the brake and Presto fixo. Will Take care of that in the AM, also. The other gun is having bolt opening issues....like high PSI. Like a "clicker". Things were fine and now everything right down to 85.0 Gr H1000/300 Hybrid on new Lapua brass has issues. He had no issues at 91 gr last week...and now??? I will dig into that tomorrow. I wish these guys would have started this process 3 months ago. To easy, I guess.

But....it's good to be back in the saddle again. 9 months away from shooting and everything that goes with it was HELL. Looking forward to next season!!

Tod

I am sorry to hear your issues I would check the CBTO. To ensure the bullets aren't in the lands. Was the muzzle break dialed in on a four jaw chuck? so it is concentric before boring from 30 cal to 33?

Any chance ones a left handed action I am always tinkering, the only thing that bothers me about my bee is that it is right handed unfortunately I was born wrong handed

I am sorry to hear your issues I would check the CBTO. To ensure the bullets aren't in the lands. Was the muzzle break dialed in on a four jaw chuck? so it is concentric before boring from 30 cal to 33?
Not in the lands.......we had to reduce OAL to fit in the factory mag. As far as the smithing...I am just the go between. You win a few National championships and everyone wants to use your smith.:cool:

Just talked to the folks at Weatherby. They said that all three...the 30-378, 338-378, and the 338 Lapua ALL TAKE THE SAME MAG PARTS. Back to the drawing board!!

Just talked to the folks at Weatherby. They said that all three...the 30-378, 338-378, and the 338 Lapua ALL TAKE THE SAME MAG PARTS. Back to the drawing board!!
Try adjusting the spring for the bullet dip, and perhaps talk to a smith about the feed rails. I think now it's the magazine spring out of wack. Good luck Cheers.

We have 2 Weatherby MK V Accumark 30 - 378 WBY's re barreled to 338 Lapua. Rounds will not feed from the mag on either gun. Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Tod
You can't chamber it the same as a model 700. This is a Weatherby chamber issue and once correct is will feed like a squirrel going down his hole. Nothing feeds better than a correctly chambered Weatherby Mark 5. It's my favorite action to build on. If anyone ground the feed rails the action is ruined.

You can't chamber it the same as a model 700. This is a Weatherby chamber issue and once correct is will feed like a squirrel going down his hole. Nothing feeds better than a correctly chambered Weatherby Mark 5. It's my favorite action to build on. If anyone ground the feed rails the action is ruined.
Nope......I simply took a little of the taper off of the mag box and ground the corner of the mag box lips a little bit. They both feed great now!!

Thanks

Tod