Accuracy decrease with supressor on

Sykes

This is the first time I have had a rifle that shot worse with my suppressor on. Has happened with 2 differnt loads, 88 gr hammers and 108 eldm. Both loads shoot a little under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with no suppressor. Any explanation?

6mm Creedmoor, Bartlien #4 Carbon Fiber, 24" on a Tikka bedded in a Manners stock. BA was built by Deep South Tactical. Gemtech Tracker suppressor

1" groups at 200 yards today with the 108 eldm no suppressor.
20220130_135025.jpg

Suppressor on the group went to 3.7"
20220130_135031.jpg

First time with the hammers I thought it was because I was in a hurry trying to get ready for hunt. Today confirmed this set up doesn't like a suppressor. Just curious why maybe that is

Dang, that's a lot. My first thought is drop the charge back down to 93% of your max, run one ladder up with the can on, and see if you hit a node where it calms back down, but that horizontal spread means you might be completely blown and need to change seating depth or powder, basically clean sheet the loads again.

I've had things group that badly when the velocity node is really off for the barrel, but I've never had more weight of a suppressor be what pushes the group out like that.

I have one of these to try but haven't had to yet, can be run behind the suppressor. Could trying tuning to see if that swings the group tighter:

I agree its all barrel harmonics. The weight and pressure issues your can has on the barrel timing for that load and bullet dont match up

Other than tuning the ammo, the other thing you can try is installing an ATS type barrel tuner in front of your can. Then you can tune the barrel instead if the ammo.

Bring the barrel back into tune even with the can. I run a tuner on my .338 LM in front of a super beast 5 port brake

Attachments

• 20210917_144915.jpg
    20210917_144915.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
Hodgdon online max load is 41.6 of H4350 for 3006 fps with the 108 eldm. My load on target is 40 grs for 2970 fps. Bartlien recommends a minimum contour for suppressor use, can't remember what it is, but the #4 in there eyes is too light for a suppressor. Maybe there is the issue. But I run the same can on my Cooper Timberline 280AI with no issues. I'll try this weekend to rework the load with the can on and see what happens.

Last edited:
I thought the same but no all is good there. Hodgdon online max load is 41.6 of H4350 for 3006 fps with the 108 eldm. My load on target is 40 grs for 2970 fps. Bartlien recommends a minimum contour for suppressor use, can't remember what it is, but the #4 in there eyes is too light for a suppressor. Maybe there is the issue. But I run the same can on my Cooper Timberline 280AI with no issues. I'll try this weekend to rework the load with the can on and see what happens.
6 Creed?

Last edited: