Accuracy decrease with supressor on

Yeah, doesn't matter for accuracy only for sound reduction. They are all are a little over sized on the bore to reduce the chances of a game of ping pong going on inside your can but generally you want to match bore to caliber for best decibel reduction.

I just had a similar experience with a 6.5 PRC this past weekend when I added a can to try it out. The results were all over the place. The gun shoots 1/2" to 5/8 consistently. Put the can on it and the group was 2-3" every three shot string.

Last edited:
My experience has been different. POI changes a little but groups have usually been as good or better suppressed.

Barrel Profile matters big time with a can. You should not run a can with a super slim profile. Adding a ton of weight on the end of a barrel will introduce different stresses, barrel harmonics, etc. Even an ultra light Titanium can could be problematic with too slim a profile.

Loads should always be developed specifically for your can, on your barrel. You should expect a difference in both group size and accuracy otherwise, you introducing a ton of back pressure into the system.

Barrel Profile matters big time with a can. You should not run a can with a super slim profile. Adding a ton of weight on the end of a barrel will introduce different stresses, barrel harmonics, etc. Even an ultra light Titanium can could be problematic with too slim a profile.

Loads should always be developed specifically for your can, on your barrel. You should expect a difference in both group size and accuracy otherwise, you introducing a ton of back pressure into the system.
Yep its all harmonics. Spaghetti
sporter barrels thin and long will be more susceptible to harmonic waves and vibrations and weight distribution than short fat barrels.
This is a fact.

PhotoGrid_1588292736757_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I posted this on another thread but you may try putting a tuner behind the can. I have never tried this but KSS had this pic on their ATS tuner page. I would check it with an alignment rod as you tune it just to be safe.

As Plinker147 said..
Harmonics...I have the same problem with a 338 Savage Elite Precision.....I have tried 3 different EXPENSIVE BRAKES from three Top manufacturers.....nothing works. The moment I thread anyone of them on groups go from .337 five shots to......HELLO...just like yours....and no amount of load development can cure the shotgun effect!...It's harmonics

More than one Savage has had crooked threads from the factory, I think it happens from every factory but a bud had a Savage 338LM like yours that shot really well with no brake or can, put a brake or a can on and it was a 5-6 minute rifle. Tried to chase the thread and there wasn't enough left of the high side so cut and crown with good threads and it was easily sub minute again without the brake or can and WITH the brake OR the can. If you like the rifle I'd lose 3/4" of that barrel and get back to shooting.