Supressor Accuracy

Minnesotan

I just recently picked up a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor and jumped on that bandwagon. I also have SilencerCo Hybrid and I wish to use it on this rifle for hunting. Am I going to have any problem with the weight of the suppressor on the end of such a light contour barrel? Could it impact the Harmonics or accuracy to the point where it would be outside of 1 MOA which is where I need my hunting rifles. Thanks for any insight.

I just recently picked up a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor and jumped on that bandwagon. I also have SilencerCo Hybrid and I wish to use it on this rifle for hunting. Am I going to have any problem with the weight of the suppressor on the end of such a light contour barrel? Could it impact the Harmonics or accuracy to the point where it would be outside of 1 MOA which is where I need my hunting rifles. Thanks for any insight.

You may to see some POI shift. It should be repeatable.
It a lighter weight barrel you will see more POI, versus a heavier taper barrel.
Running a SICO OMEGA you should have good repeatability.

You may see some increase in velocity as well.

Thanks
Steve
RLTW
816-718-9489

Ranger since I am not running the Omega Can is there that much difference between that 14 oz weight and the 17.3 oz weight of the hybrid? I guess I am curious as to why you bring up the omega since I already have the hybrid.

Ranger since I am not running the Omega Can is there that much difference between that 14 oz weight and the 17.3 oz weight of the hybrid? I guess I am curious as to why you bring up the omega since I already have the hybrid.

Sorry my mistake for some reason it read omega not Hybrid. they should both be about the same. however the heavier the suppressor the more shift you have.

Sorry my mistake for some reason it read omega not Hybrid. they should both be about the same. however the heavier the suppressor the more shift you have.

I guess what I'm getting at, if I do any sustained target shooting with the suppressor can it permanently alter the POI with such a light contour barrel and such a heavy suppressor. I do intend on shooting this gun a lot and I if I shouldn't shoot excessively at one time (20-30) rounds that isn't terrible as long as I can still use the can hunting shooting 2-3 times.

Can you safely thread the barrel on your Mesa? Can't imagine you'd have much of a shouldet to tighten your can/muzzle device against.

I ask this because I considered the Mesa when looking for a light weight hunting rifle. Per TBAC thread specs the Mesa muzzle OD is not sufficient so I couldnt suppress it.

Regarding your POI shift, you may find shooting suppressed and unsuppressed can be annoying. Even the slightest change in POI will require adjustment of scope every time you decide to put a can on to shoot or remove it to shoot. If you get a velocity change all of your dope will change slightly as you extend your range.

One I started shooting suppressed, I never felt the need to shoot without a suppressor.

The mesa is threaded to at a 1/2x28 pitch as I'm sure you know and the hybrid has changeable thread plates so it would thread onto that rifle no problem. But as you say the OD of the barrel being so small, feather weight is under .720 which silencerco recommends as a minimum for .30 cal supressors which the hybrid obviously is berry enough for. I am wondering whether or not I should suppress it, and if that much weight on the end of a a small OD barrel will permanently negatively impact POI and also the lack of enough shouldering will be an issue

Last edited:
By "permenately" you mean: bend the barrel or change its shape in such a way that it will not shoot the same with no suppressor. I would lean towards, no.

I've never heard of a rifle being changed in this way. In fact, I've never head of a rifle that has ever been damaged by a suppressor. It's usually the rifle or shooter damaging the suppressor.

But, I'm a Minnesotan who has only been allowed to legally own a suppressor for about two years!

i know this is not a good answer to your question, but if you are questioning how safely you can suppress the mesa, why not just save up a few more bucks and get a ridgeline...which i believe has comparable features? (exception being the barrel) again, if i am not mistaken, the rest of the CA bolt action line will have a 5/8 24 thread

i was in the same boat with you when i placed my suppressor in jail, it basically came down to "yes, its doable...but why" one shop, up by the gopher rifle range, told me that they would likely have to cut my barrel back X amount to inches to get enough shoulder to safely thread on the can. i realized this was not the way to go, especially when you put this much <wait> time and money into getting a suppressor.

again, i apologize for a null comment to your question...keep us posted on what you do! i am patiently waiting for the call to pick mine up :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.