Accubond

jpbaker

Guys, what kind of performance have you had with accubond on heavy bone.

I have read alot of mixed stuff and want to hear what your experience is.

I have some 200gr Accubond ordered for my .300wm for a spring bear hunt, but now hearing the problems some guys are having with them falling apart on heavy bones especially at closer ranges.

If the bugger is close I wanna make a High shoulder shot to immobilize him so I need something that will retain lots a weight and penetrate well for me.

Im considering making a phone call and getting some ttsx instead.

What do you think?

The whole reason I shoot Accubonds is because they DON'T come apart.
I've killed bears at 27 yds with my 270wsm with bonded bullets & recovered them. For close range impacts I wouldn't shoot anything but a bonded, or partition style, or monometal bullet. I'd go a step further, & say bonded or partitioned over monometal at that range, & velocity just to ensure enough expansion. I've blown thru bone, & missed bone complety, & have nothing bad to say about Accubonds at any range I've used them. I've never seen one come apart, aside from shooting ballistic steel.
I wouldn't have any reservations about using an Accubond at all. I hunt Deer, Elk, & Bear from point blank to as far as I can effectively shoot with my current equipment. I choose to shoot Accubonds for the simple reason that I can trust that bullet to perform as designed & retain wt. & penetrate as well as expand.

Folks are gonna have good & bad to say about any, & all bullets due to personal experience, or opinionated hype from something they read or hered.

I have no experience with Burgers, mostly because I don't have a dedicated, long range only rig yet. But they seem to shine brightest, past 6-800 yds. Oddly enough.....they are a long range bullet... But with no personal experience with Bergers, I cannot form an accurate opinion. However after pouring over tons of posts on them, over the last couple years, here on LRH, I still find mixxed reviews.
Very trusted marksmen on this forum use only Bergers. Other very trusted marksmen on this forum won't go near them.
I have had bad personal experiences with other brands of bullets comming apart, & will not use a frag type bullet at the ranges I currently hunt because of these experiences. That is why I use the Accubond.

I live in the land of Big bear and for decades hunted with the Partition bullet for the fact of up close and personal need from a bullet. The partition never failed me once. It was not the most accurate however.

I spent a couple years testing the Accubond carrying my pet partition load as a backup. The Accubond shoots match quality and has done everything I have ever asked of it. The partitions stay at home these days so I am comfortable with the Accubond in every day bear sightings.

My wife took a 6 year old bison bull @ 50 yards under the horn boss and between the eyes with a 200 grain 338 Accubond bullet. It dropped and did not move. The bullet was found in the neck tissue after it took out two vertabra and deflected.
LisasBuff.jpg

Neal

The whole reason I shoot Accubonds is because they DON'T come apart.

Yes, I understand and that was my whole point in picking up a box for the hunt. I wanted a bonded bullet that would provide the accuracy that I was looking for.

Then I read where people say that they dont perform well up close and were alot like the ballistic tip and open up very quickly and failing to retain their weight.

I have used ballistic tip and they work well, but would not trust them on real heavy bone or at high velocitys.

Here is a video for a test federal did with 4 of their bullets including Nosler ballistic tip.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMKvetaMqhE]Federal Premium® BULLET BREAKDOWN - YouTube[/ame]

Well, if it works for you guys, no reason that it wouldnt work for me.:rolleyes:

Im looking forward to see how they perform for me!!!!gun)

TKS
JPB

I like the Accubond, my current first choice in bullets. I haven't recovered a 30 cal 200 yet . I have blown some pretty impressive holes all the way through stuff though. Any of them can "fail", even the hard monometal types. Go hunting let us know how it comes out.

I have hit moose through shoulder bones including leg bones with 200 grain accubonds and my cousin shot clean through both shoulders of another bull with the 150. Both 30 cals.

All in all, I would say the AB does well on big bones. It may be noteworthy that the closest shot was 600 yards. Any closer and I cannot say.

If you have doubts, Barnes is the next best thing. For black bears though, even a 450# bear, the AB should do fine up close or far. If you are dealing with grizzlys, I would concider Partitions or Barnes for close shots and the AB for further shots. Bone or no bone.

M

OK, now im feeling better about my decision for the 200gr AB pills. I have a couple months to get my gear together and deverlop a load before I hit the trail.

I appreciate all your responses!!!!!!

TKS
JPB

You'll be fine with the AB. I prefer the TTSX or TSX at any range. I've killed game with both and the Barnes gets my vote hands down. Never lost anything with Barnes. Lost 2 with AB back when Nosler was having problems with the tips falling off. Must have been some bad batches of bullets.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBDmlNwfoR4]Barnes Bullets Interview.mpeg - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL-liPFY5-I&feature=related]Triple-Shock X-Bullet - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV8ij1gK-ck"]Barnes TSX TTSX MRX Bullets - YouTube[/ame]

You have NOTHING to worry about in terms of bullet expansion from a TSX or TTSX. They are so tough and accurate, we've downloaded our bullet weights and still have flawless success. For example, we load 110s in our 270s primarily, and 130s second for deer inside of 400 yards. Bang flop every time.

OK, now im feeling better about my decision for the 200gr AB pills. I have a couple months to get my gear together and deverlop a load before I hit the trail.

I appreciate all your responses!!!!!!

TKS
JPB

JP, you made the right decision the first time, and you made the right choice sticking to it. That Accubond will not let you down, and there's a dead bear out there waiting for it. ( he just don't know he's dead yet) that bullet is as good as a partition, and that bullet needs no Introduction, but the AB flies better. You are right about the other considerations that you looked over. You made the right choice. Good Luck. AIM !SMALL MISS SMALL. 7STW.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.