Accubond LR

siege36

Hello everyone, i am a new member so wanted to say Hi first. Been reading a lot of post from this sight, just never joined til now. lol

Hope this is in the right thread of the forums. Also, if this was covered somewhere in here I apologize.

My question is if anyone has experience with .30 caliber 210 gr nosler accubond long range bullets, and even more specifically out of the 30-06 Remington 700 Long Range.

I have yet to find the rifle in the LGS yet, but I will be getting one as soon as they come in. Probably topped with the viper something (not exactly sure yet). And I will be installing a timmney trigger.

I am not a long range shooter as of yet, However I have started reading and learning from local experts at the range. I will be working up to 700 yards to start (as that is the ranges furthest isle)

I currently shoot 165 gr accubonds behind 50 gr of IMR 4350 with decent results (only decent due to lack of my own experience) upto 300 yards. These 210 ABLR's look very interesting, but they are double the cost, so I guess from a hunting stand point, are they worth the extra money? When I get good enough to take shoots out further I would like the bullet to perform well up close say 100 yards to 600 yards? Is that realistic expectations from a 30-06? On paper it appears I should still get around 1650 ft/lbs of energy at that range.

I have read a lot on paper now looking for any real experiences. The guys at the range are awesome, just none of them shoot nosler, lol

this gun will be mainly used for hunting, with the added learning long range shooting in the process. If there is anything you would add subtract from this whole Idea feel free to chime in.

Welcome. The 30-06 is very capable at 600yrds for game. I don't have any experience with the 210 ablr. Nor the 165 ab for that matter but I do think that 50grs imr 4350 is a very mild load for the 165. The 30-06 is a good cartridge to learn long range you get a lot of drop and wind correction so it will teach you a lot about shooting that far. I personally would find a cheaper bullet with a high BC and shoot ALOT at the range. I use 200gr smk at 1000 with 52grns of imr 4350 it does really well for me. For ranges out to 700 I use my 178gr Amax load they are cheap as hell and accurate. I have just don't like the price of the ablr for target and steel especially if your just learning a day at the range with them would cost you twice as much as it would me with my preferred loads.. good luck

Yes the load I have now is pretty low in the books, but it has served me well for the current purposes. But its time to step up my game, and that is why I was asking about the NABLR is because of their price, they are a bit high. lol

The AMAX gets really great reviews and I have seen it in action, I personally do not like it for hunting,

Maybe since I will be getting a higher end scope than my current simmons, it wont be as bad to get something cheaper like the AMAX for target practice while staying with my preferred hunting bullet in the 165-180 range? but currently (I do not know if its me, the scope or the gun) but it is a pain in the rear. Just this year I backed of from the 50gr IMR4350 to the 48 gr IMR 4064 behind a 150 grain bullet and It was 6 inches high at 100 yards, the first target I had up wasn't even big enough to get on paper. lol finally got it on paper and the grouping was worse than when I was using factory ammo so I went back to what I know for this hunting season.

I don't blame you on going on what works for now, I have go to load that I used to get several 06s to shoot 50grns. 4064 165gr hornady btsp seated to the cannelure. It shoots very well in every 06 I tried it in. It hammers critters out to 500. Your recoil is probably fairly light in those loads you will see a difference once you start going heavier with charges and bullets. And once the long range bug bites you. You'll start running loads a little hotter to get better trajectory. So if recoil is a factor consider a brake. I would also get a 20moa rail for your new gun trust me it will make 1000yrds easier to dial on your scope.

Thanks for tip on the rail. I have not looked at or researched rails and rings yet.

Recoil hasn't seemed to be an issue. i used to load my loads very hot, but than realized at the distance I am shooting there was no need for it. I am one who actually likes recoil. But I did dial them down a bit hoping to help the youngster not be so gun shy. He has since started to shoot the big ol 30-06. :)

I'm also looking at the new Nosler Accubonds for long range hunting. Same as you I'm using 165g from my 300WSM. I just got a load I like with IMR4350 66grains but always looking for better. My range doesn't go past 300 though so I'm going to focus on that for now until I can get consistent at that range. I'll follow this thread though and see what people say. Welcome to LRH!

Yes the load I have now is pretty low in the books, but it has served me well for the current purposes. But its time to step up my game, and that is why I was asking about the NABLR is because of their price, they are a bit high. lol

The AMAX gets really great reviews and I have seen it in action, I personally do not like it for hunting,

Maybe since I will be getting a higher end scope than my current simmons, it wont be as bad to get something cheaper like the AMAX for target practice while staying with my preferred hunting bullet in the 165-180 range? but currently (I do not know if its me, the scope or the gun) but it is a pain in the rear. Just this year I backed of from the 50gr IMR4350 to the 48 gr IMR 4064 behind a 150 grain bullet and It was 6 inches high at 100 yards, the first target I had up wasn't even big enough to get on paper. lol finally got it on paper and the grouping was worse than when I was using factory ammo so I went back to what I know for this hunting season.
I would look real hard at getting some good optics. I would also shoot the Amaxes or SMK's to practice with. Would try different powder charges and seating depths also. If you are going to shoot long range you need good optics and good equipment to consistently hit the target. A lot of guys use NAB's for hunting but they are too expensive for targets. Keep working on loads and practicing and you'll get there. Good Luck and Enjoy...

I just ran the numbers. Looks like with a 1:11" twist rate (my rifle, not sure what your twist rate is) I can stabilize up to a 190g Accubond. Elevation seems to have an effect so if you are closer to sea level the calculater lowers the stability number. So if you are hunting at higher elevations looks like you can get away with a heavier bullet. Good to know as my range is around 1,000' elevation but I hunt from 2k to 6k generally.

So I might have to check out the 190 ABLR when it comes out, though my 165g seem to be working just fine so it'll be for fun more than need.

-edit-

After further research it appears with a 1:11" twist any Accubond .308 above 180 starts to be risky. Depending on temp and elevation there are situations where a 190 won't work for me and even the 180g is close to 1.5 stability. So looks like I'll be sticking with either 165 or 180 for stability, at least until I can test the Berger bullets for hunting application or find a more affordable, accurate hunting bullet.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Who has experience with 3006 150 gr. Ttsx for whitetail , up close and long range , using factory.
Shot placement , exits, terminal performance and accuracy? Thanks !!!!!

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Who has experience with 3006 150 gr. Ttsx for whitetail , up close and long range , using factory.
Shot placement , exits, terminal performance and accuracy? Thanks !!!!!

If you'd like you can start your own thread about the completly different bullet and weights, that would be nice, thanks,

I currently have a 1:10 twist rate and my new rifle will also have the same twist. I will be putting on great optics, maybe not the best, but should be a great start for my needs. Vortex Viper (haven't decided on the exact model yet, HT, HTS).

I just ran the numbers. Looks like with a 1:11" twist rate (my rifle, not sure what your twist rate is) I can stabilize up to a 190g Accubond. Elevation seems to have an effect so if you are closer to sea level the calculater lowers the stability number.

I have been using some calculators, which one do you use? I have not run into one that calculates twist rate, that would be very beneficial. Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.