Absolute Hammer load data

@Grifm

I've been thinking about your earlier post. A lot of us have been working with the new AH bullet. As BBean stated in his reply, what we have learned is that the AHs are an entirely different animal when developing loads. Traditional rules and expectations do not entirely apply in the way we have always thought.

There are a couple of misconceptions in your earlier post. "The same principles apply to AHs that apply to all other bullets." This is not entirely true.

First, the design of the AH is such that engraving pressure does not change with powder charge. The ogive of the bullet never touches the rifling. Only the PDR drive bands touch the rifling – and this is a significantly lesser engraving pressure – always. It is also constant. The bullets are so easy to move, they can move "prematurely" before full ignition is achieved; before the case mouth seals and speed is reached. For this reason, Steve recommends magnum primers to help give the bullet a little "start" on it's trip toward full speed. Also, most have learned that increased neck tension helps in this process of retarding bullet movement until more pressure is generated. Increased neck tension may mean using 3-4 thousandths neck tension rather than a more customary .002 neck tension. Others (most notably BBean) have experimented very successfully with additional neck tension after bullet-seating using the Lee Factory Crimp Die. BBean has achieved some eye raising speeds in his rifles, as have others using factory crimp dies or jamming the drive bands into the rifling just a little to delay initial bullet movement (25WSM).

In my testing, I found that increasing neck tension up to .004 shows measurable results in some cartridges. Beyond .004 I could see no improvement. My thinking is that once you seat the bullet, you stretch the neck out to bullet diameter and the case can only exert so much pressure at that point. Neck crimping can add additional tension after seating the bullet.

Your basic logic is sound with traditional bullets. AHs behave differently. Because of the low friction with the AHs, you are correct in that traditional powders may not achieve the full velocity potential of the bullet. That is why most use significantly faster powders, with increased neck tension, to achieve the best velocity possible within pressure constraints.

If you cannot achieve desired velocity, go to a faster powder. After you try several powders, you will bracket the pressure/velocity envelope that you need. If you max out in case space before velocity, drop down to a faster powder. Keep doing this until you arrive at a decent case fill amount, and achieve the fastest velocity you can without pressure. I went through 4 different powders and 3 primers developing one load. Others have had the same experience. This is all "new ground" with these bullets. It was Steve's idea (Hammer Bullets) to try and capture this new knowledge. That is the reason for the data spread sheet in this thread. Sharing information saves a lot of confusion and mis-steps for others like yourself.

In your example of the Creedmoor, you are correct in one aspect. You can go up in powder charge with R-17 to see if you can gain more velocity before hitting pressure. My bet would be go to a much faster powder because you can run a lot more of it before hitting pressure with the reduced friction of the AHs.

In fact, if you look at the load data spreadsheet (post #2), you will find that the most successful Creedmoor loads used powders Waay faster that R-17.
GLTaylor,

thanks for the explication, i agree with what you said and you did a much better job of articulating what I was trying to say with respect to bracketing the pressure/velocity envelope.

JTH posted his finding with varget and his 6.5CM. Since he found pressure, in my head he found the bottom edge of the pressure/velocity bracket and should look at slower powers to see if he could gain velocity.

Both JMW and Butterbean, who from what I have read in other threads have more experience both with reloading and hammer bullets, say to go faster. I have gone back through this thread I see where 99% of the time everyone is using faster than "Normal" powders for a given cartridge/weight class to achieve best results but I did not find where someone found pressure with a powder and then went to an even faster powder and achieved better results. I said 99% because off the 30-06/H100v example from Steve.

-Matt

GLTaylor,

thanks for the explication, i agree with what you said and you did a much better job of articulating what I was trying to say with respect to bracketing the pressure/velocity envelope.

JTH posted his finding with varget and his 6.5CM. Since he found pressure, in my head he found the bottom edge of the pressure/velocity bracket and should look at slower powers to see if he could gain velocity.

Both JMW and Butterbean, who from what I have read in other threads have more experience both with reloading and hammer bullets, say to go faster. I have gone back through this thread I see where 99% of the time everyone is using faster than "Normal" powders for a given cartridge/weight class to achieve best results but I did not find where someone found pressure with a powder and then went to an even faster powder and achieved better results. I said 99% because off the 30-06/H100v example from Steve.

-Matt
I am so tempted to keep tinkering with my 30-06 and 151AH load. Found pressure with a compressed load of Varget and great groups/velocity a grain lower (3130 is what I settled on)...but I have some IMR 4895 that I could try to get them moving faster. Pretty pricey to experiment with these bullets though!

I am so tempted to keep tinkering with my 30-06 and 151AH load. Found pressure with a compressed load of Varget and great groups/velocity a grain lower (3130 is what I settled on)...but I have some IMR 4895 that I could try to get them moving faster. Pretty pricey to experiment with these bullets though!
Yep, but that's how we learn. Then post results to save the next person some time and $
G

GLTaylor,

-Matt
Matt,
This may be an example of how AHs behave differently. You wouldn't know until you tried.
To bracket the burn rate you need (especially in a very short barrel, as in this case), try faster powder until you pressure out at a lower velocity/charge than with the Varget.
In this Creedmoor example, JTH was at 42grs getting 2900 fps and starting to see pressure. 45 grs is about max capacity of the CM case.
You could try a slower powder and try to get more in the case, but I wouldn't be very hopeful.
Because of the "slippery" nature of the AHs, it may be possible to use a faster powder to get more velocity before pressuring out. If it works when tested, this is just another example of how the AHs don't behave as most would expect.
The Varget load may be the best he can do - but I would put my money on faster powder........

Last edited:
GLTaylor,

-Matt
Matt, I have found pressure a bunch of times with a bunch of powders ( Slow and Fast ) but I only post loads that work, I've got a box of Brass with the primers blown out of them, I'm here to help so if you need anything just hollar

Matt, I have found pressure a bunch of times with a bunch of powders ( Slow and Fast ) but I only post loads that work, I've got a box of Brass with the primers blown out of them, I'm here to help so if you need anything just hollar

Thanks! My next step in the 308 is to try Alliant PP Varmint. I started with imr8208xbr and never hit pressure before I filled the case, then to benchmark and hit pressure right at 48gr. So my thought was to go back slower, but to a ball powder that will allow me to fit a larger charge in the case. I was hoping to find TAC but no one had it locally.
Max load for the varmint is between 46-46.5gr depending on which 150gr bullet you look at. I put 50gr of varmint in a case and am not all the way up the shoulder so I should be able to get to 50gr maybe a little more before I start compression. When I get back from visiting family for the holidays I will work up and see where I get. What are your thoughts,

Do you think I'm going the wrong way?

-Matt

Thanks! My next step in the 308 is to try Alliant PP Varmint. I started with imr8208xbr and never hit pressure before I filled the case, then to benchmark and hit pressure right at 48gr. So my thought was to go back slower, but to a ball powder that will allow me to fit a larger charge in the case. I was hoping to find TAC but no one had it locally.
Max load for the varmint is between 46-46.5gr depending on which 150gr bullet you look at. I put 50gr of varmint in a case and am not all the way up the shoulder so I should be able to get to 50gr maybe a little more before I start compression. When I get back from visiting family for the holidays I will work up and see where I get. What are your thoughts,

Do you think I'm going the wrong way?

-Matt
H335 is gonna be your Huckleberry I think

Matt,
This may be an example of how AHs behave differently. You wouldn't know until you tried.
To bracket the burn rate you need (especially in a very short barrel, as in this case), try faster powder until you pressure out at a lower velocity/charge than with the Varget.
In this Creedmoor example, JTH was at 42grs getting 2900 fps and starting to see pressure. 45 grs is about max capacity of the CM case.
You could try a slower powder and try to get more in the case, but I wouldn't be very hopeful.
Because of the "slippery" nature of the AHs, it may be possible to use a faster powder to get more velocity before pressuring out. If it works when tested, this is just another example of how the AHs don't behave as most would expect.
The Varget load may be the best he can do - but I would put my money on faster powder........
Out of curiosity, I loaded up some rounds in the 6.5 cm with H4350 this afternoon. Started at 39.0 and worked up to 44.0 in 0.5 grain increments, velocity started at 2450 fps, topped out at 2795 FPS with 44.0 grains. Zero signs of pressure. I didn't push any further, figured a max of 45 grains is likely only going to get me into the 2850 ish range.

I might try another powder if there's something faster than Varget but still reasonably temperature stable to consider. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I loaded up some rounds with H4350 this afternoon. Started at 39.0 and worked up to 44.0 in 0.5 grain increments, velocity started at 2450 fps, topped out at 2795 FPS with 44.0 grains. Zero signs of pressure. I didn't push any further, figured a max of 45 grains is likely only going to get me into the 2850 ish range.

I might try another powder if there's something faster than Varget but still reasonably temperature stable to consider. Any recommendations?
have you looked at the load data file on post 2 it gives alot of options I assume you are still talking about a 6.5 creed with the 123 AH not trying to be an A-hole there is just alot of options so no need to relist them

have you looked at the load data file on post 2 it gives alot of options I assume you are still talking about a 6.5 creed with the 123 AH not trying to be an A-hole there is just alot of options so no need to relist them
Yep, if you look at the file, you'll find the rest of the info in there, same details as the Varget load I posted about a few days ago.