A True LR Hunting Challenge?

xsn10s

Ok so I've been pretty critical of BF challenge for various reasons. But how about we come up with a challenge for LR hunting. I think rokslide already did this once before, although I think it's a little different than this one. But I'd say a ten or twenty day change. This simulates a decade or two of hunting coldbore shots. All coldbore shots on the honor system. Coldbore killing shots count on game even if a follow up shots are taken. But must be honest about whether the coldbore shot hit the vitals. Targets whether they are steel or whatever should be 9- 10 inches, or whatever the group deems proper for realistic big game vital zone. If a challenge is found that another group did let's give them credit. We can figure out a challenge and start anew thread. Whatever the group wants.

Rokslide has done the same thing. Cold bore at your self proclaimed max effective range at a 10" target. Very eye opening results.
Yeah I think they called it their coldbore challenge or something like that. You had to pre-qualify and there was a time frame to compete the challenge. I don't think they took that many shots either.

That seems hard to evaluate being some of us live east coast and shoot in minimal wind compared to you guys out west. How would that difference be accounted for? I see wind as being the biggest challenge and taking 100 shots on targets on a range protected from the wind being an unfair advantage.

That seems hard to evaluate being some of us live east coast and shoot in minimal wind compared to you guys out west. How would that difference be accounted for? I see wind as being the biggest challenge and taking 100 shots on targets on a range protected from the wind being an unfair advantage.
I made another thread for another challenge that we could do. A coldbore challenge since that's what we do when we're hunting. We could just report the wind/ weather conditions on that day. You could even choose the distance for the weather conditions as that's what we do when we're hunting anyways. This challenge most likely won't have a "winner". More like seeing what we're capable of in our hunting areas.

I really like the idea whether I have an audience or not. Really feel confident I could make first round impacts in decent conditions on randomly placed milk jug size targets out to 600 yards if I'm not trying to rapid fire a 6.5-300 weatherby 100 times. Been wanting to purchase a swellpro fishing drone to fly out biodegradable targets but a little nervous about the new drone laws coming about. I shoot a lot off a tripod and feel pretty confident at 3" targets with my 300 prc so I'm a little perplexed at all this fuss about milk jugs with a choice of any cartridge. The 6.5-300 with hand loaded 156 bergers of my brothers would seem more challenging with clay pigeons out to 600 but I have to admit I don't always focus on my cold bore shots and I always wait at least 3-4 minutes between rounds otherwise the hits will become misses. I've shot the 6.5-300 in a 600 yard hunter class br match and it's a winner for the first couple rounds but once the barrels warmed up, it's game over

I really like the idea whether I have an audience or not. Really feel confident I could make first round impacts in decent conditions on randomly placed milk jug size targets out to 600 yards if I'm not trying to rapid fire a 6.5-300 weatherby 100 times. Been wanting to purchase a swellpro fishing drone to fly out biodegradable targets but a little nervous about the new drone laws coming about. I shoot a lot off a tripod and feel pretty confident at 3" targets with my 300 prc so I'm a little perplexed at all this fuss about milk jugs with a choice of any cartridge. The 6.5-300 with hand loaded 156 bergers of my brothers would seem more challenging with clay pigeons out to 600 but I have to admit I don't always focus on my cold bore shots and I always wait at least 3-4 minutes between rounds otherwise the hits will become misses. I've shot the 6.5-300 in a 600 yard hunter class br match and it's a winner for the first couple rounds but once the barrels warmed up, it's game over
RS's CBC had a 10" diameter target. They had 100 slots for prizes on their website. There wouldn't be any prizes here another than our own knowledge. We don't even have to have a criteria of how many shots. My string of successful cold bore shots ended almost two weeks ago. 1750 yard shot on a coyote that was watching me from a rock pile. Actually the whole pack was sitting there watching me. I should of video recorded it but I really don't feel like messing with video equipment when I'm hunting. Before this miss I had coldbore hits on rock chucks, badgers, and coyotes from around 100 yards out to 659 yards on a badger. I normally wouldn't have taken the shot on coyotes at that distance. But they are a big problem here.

My first round impact dreams at 1 mile were shattered by reality. I do have visions of success out to 1000 which I've had success but need to get my drone plan going for different environments to see if I've just been lucky. What the heck were you shooting at that distance?

My first round impact dreams at 1 mile were shattered by reality. I do have visions of success out to 1000 which I've had success but need to get my drone plan going for different environments to see if I've just been lucky. What the heck were you shooting at that distance?
My 260 AI with 145gr MB. It's dead on out to 1405 yards. I've been trying to get at these coyotes for about a month now. They are very wary and picked a perfect vantage point to see miles away from them. That's why I took the shot. They got nervous the last time I got within 1400 yards from them.

I'd definitely take a crack at a coyote at a mile with my 338am. Though I've shot it a good bit farther.
I was thinking I should of used my 7mm RM. But the trigger on it is a bit heavy at 3lbs 12oz. I have alot more trigger time behind my 260 AI too. But the optics on the 260 AI aren't great, fixed 10X SWFA.