Equipment check for first true LR Rifle?

goebs66

First off, before someone says to use the search button or whatever, I have read a lot of stuff on this site and many others, I am purely doing this for a 2nd opinion on what equipment/lesser known items that have helped you guys and are lesser known but crucial (like a torque wrench for example)!! A brief background of myself, I have a few shotguns, 22LRs, 22-250, AK, and SKS. My new Sako 85 hunter comes in Saturday as my first LR rifle. I most hunt Illinois/Iowa so no hiking is involved, and I will mostly be doing LR shooting and hunting coyotes 300+ yards to hopefully 800-900 with my 7mm rem mag. I wanted to know if you guys could give me an equipment check (as this is my first true Long Range Setup) and anything I may be missing out and that helps you guys!

Rifle/optics related
-Sako 85 hunter 7mm rem mag
-Vortex Razor HD 5-20X50 EBR3 MRAD
-20MOA Sako Picatinny Rail
-Seekin rings 35mm 1.0"
-Wheeler FAT torque wrench
-bubble level attachment

Equipment:
-Leica 1600B
-TAB Gear Sling w/ heavy duty swivels
-Harris Bipod 6-9in
-Plano 54in case
-Shooter app
-(Hoping to get a Kestrel 4500 AB this winter)

Cleaning Supplies (my biggest concern for something missing?)
-Custom Lucas Bore Guide 7mm
-Dewey 36in cleaning rod
-Shooters Choice bore cleaning solvent
-Dewey "No Harm" bore brush
-100 Tipton cotton cleaning patches
-Dewey Parker Hale rifle cleaning jag
-Frog Lube
-gun cloth

Besides reloading equipment (college interferes with that at the moment, 2 years from now hopefully!) Anything you guys use that isn't so common that really helps you guys out? For example, I had no idea about torque specs and the need for a torque wrench until a few days ago... that could have really been a problem with mounting my base and scope... Just hoping Im not missing on anything else! Thanks!

Last edited:
What the heck, I haven't posted for awhile. First get some good pre owned reloading equipment. Practice shooting those rifles and getting used to them. Take them to an f open event and get some really good wind training. Those shots you are talking about at 800 yards are going to require some practice. Last a little more reading like applied ballistics would help for reference and learning. Hope this helps, and if you need anything else let me know.

What the heck, I haven't posted for awhile. First get some good pre owned reloading equipment. Practice shooting those rifles and getting used to them. Take them to an f open event and get some really good wind training. Those shots you are talking about at 800 yards are going to require some practice. Last a little more reading like applied ballistics would help for reference and learning. Hope this helps, and if you need anything else let me know.

Can you explain the f open event? I live near Chicago...

This will get you started.
http://centralalabamagunclub.com/main/files/5613/2632/3413/F-Class-Rifle-Rules.pdf
F-Class: Where to shoot spreadsheet. (Rev 19, 12/30/2014)
Also check out accurate shooter forum, great bunch of people with tons of long range competition experience. Use the where to shoot chart for closest shooting range near you and look up the organization online for match dates. Usually they charge around 20$ per shoot match. You wouldn't necessarily have to shoot all courses of fire if you wouldn't want to either. It's fun and can be addicting so beware. It's also a good tool to learn wind age when pit crews put spotting disks after each shot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 96
If you ever really plan on pushing out beyond 1000 yds I have found that my Leica does not provide adequate ranging capibility. I first started with the 7 ultra planning to go up to 1200 yds so the leica was a good choice but now with my edge I am wanting to go to a mile and getting a good range is proving to be the limiting factor.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.