A new 300 RUM

jmatson

I going to get a 300 RUM, I was thinking about a Rem Sendoro or getting a used Rem 700 for custom build. I'm more leaning to a custom job, 28 inch barrel, Jewel trigger, the works. I would like some opinions on stocks etc. or anyting else.

stocks

laminate? Joel Russo makes a awesome laminate stock. I have an A5 laminate he made which is perfect. He is a member at this site and a great guy to deal with.

Synthetic? Manners makes a nice one I don't have one but I seen a few. Mcmillan makes nice ones I have a A5 which I love they can cost as much as a custom action though. Bell and Carlson makes a nice stock and for the money they're hard to beat I paid around $225 for a tactical medalist stock.

It all depends on what you want your rifle to look like there are some awesome color schemes in both. Look at gunphotos thread to maybe help you get some ideas.

Brent

You get what you pay for. If you cut corners now you'll pay for it later. Go with a Manners stock or a McMillan stock, or an AICS. Any of those three will serve you well, and there are none that are better (McRee is another). Stick with a standard Remington trigger and have it tuned, Jewell's (HVR, etc) are very tight and can malfunction with dust, dirt, etc in the area. As far as the barrel, 28" might be a little long, try 27" and put a Badger Ord FTE on it, it'll get it to 28" and tame the recoil down. For manufacturer try to stay with Schneider, Obermeyer, Rock Creek, Lilja, Hart, Krieger, Bartlein, Broughton, or Benchmark. There are others yes but the small difference in price isn't worth it to skimp, buy the best and shoot it out. Seekins makes excellent bases and rings, along with Badger Ordnance. Badger Ord also makes the M5 DBM, a good idea if you want to shoot it outside of hunting, but not necessary per se. Optics are a whole 'nother thing.

PM me if you have any questions.

Another option, buy one built. There are usually several offered on this site that are built by smiths that frequent this site. Also check with what they might have in stock. Will save a lot of time and headaches.
db

For the money time etc. that you would spend building a rifle it might be more worth your while to just bite the bullet and get a rifle from one of the smiths on this site... most will guarantee accuracy when you purchase from them.

If you are going to buy a Rem 700 just to accurize and build on, you would be much better off just going with a good custom receiver from the start and really not much more in cost once you figure in machining cost on the Rem 700.

In my opinion, for the 300 RUM, there is no receiver better then the Borden Timberline Magnum which can be ordered with a Wyatts 3.820" mag box window ready to go. You would be far ahead of the game going this way in my professional opinion.

Wasatch Precision Arms Brad can build you a custom rum or a tejas give him a call

I second the motion. There is nothing like a 300 Tejas.
It can be built on an accurized Remington Ultra Mag action, it must be an UM action for the feed rails to work correctly. Don't worry about custom actions, the Rem will be fine.
It will shoot a 168 gr. Burger VLD from a 27" barrel at 3700 fps.
A 180 grain bullet at 3550 fps. The Tejas absolutely wakes up the 300 UM.
You just have to love statistics like that!

Brad Stair is at Cross Canyon Arms, ph. 801-731-0172.

Your friend, Chuckersgun.

I agree with Kirby about not buying a new rifle to build on. I would either make the decision to shoot a factory rifle or have a good gunsmith do one on a custom action. But buying a new rifle to build on puts you behind the eight ball to begin with. If you have a donor lying around then thats another thing.

You will enjoy the 28" barrel 300 RUM. I have two 300 RUM's on 28" Hart barrels that shoot awesome. I made two consecutive long range shots this year on deer and antelope the same morning. First shot the deer over 1000 yards and the next shot an antelope just under 1000 yards. You are looking at a really nice rifle for long range hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.