300 RUM and a 338 RUM???? ***

WarKitty

I wanted a 338 RUM but I could not find one so I got a 300. Its actually very nice. A 700 with the Bell and Carlson stock and Heavy Varmint Barrel fresh out of a Remington box. Very Sexy. Wouldn't you know it, 2 days after I picked up the 300 from my FFL, I found a 338 XCR II brand new. Well, I just had to have it, so now I have 2 RUMs as of tomorrow.

I really wanted the 338 and although the 300 was settling, now that I have it I really like it.

I still really want the 338.

Looking at all kinds of graphs and charts, they look to be fairly close in performance, do I need both other than satisfying my desire for wanting both?

Is it silly to have both?

What can the 300 do that the 338 can't?

What can the 338 do that the 300 can't?

What is the biggest 30 caliber bullet available? What kind of velocity can you expect with that bullet?

What is the biggest 338 caliber bullet available? What kind of velocity can you expect with that bullet

For hitting paper, what is the optimum load (theoretically) to go the furthest distance for both calibers. (For hitting an animal I already have those in mind).

Make the argument for me to keep them both and where their tasks might differ. Keep in mind I have never sold a gun so making that case shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the help. gun)

Here is a simple solution - one that allows for you to maintain your "never sold a gun status" as well as keeping the 338RUM and trying something new....

Simply trade the 300RUM for a "big" 7mm mag of some sort - straight up. No money exchanged unless benefitting you of course. That way, you can have an intermediate to long-ish range rifle in the big 7mm (which could be a nice mountain rifle) AND the 338RUM of your dreams.

There, problem solved.

Nothing wrong with having either or both.

I think components are a little more available, and cheaper in the .300.

Without implying the .300 is inadequate, the .338 offers a bit more terminal performance, at very close, or very far.

Set them up so there configured a little differently, Make one a walking around rifle, one as a committed "pure" LRH rifle.

The 230 Berger or the 300 Berger will work at range.

The 220 Nosler Partition is what I'd pick for a big bear up close in the .300, but here is where more caliber will begin earning it's keep. The 275 Swift A-Frame I've seen work well on a friends grizzly. If I ever have another grizzly tag one day this will be what I'm using. The 300 grain Accubonds may grow on me though.

I wanted a 338 RUM but I could not find one so I got a 300. Its actually very nice. A 700 with the Bell and Carlson stock and Heavy Varmint Barrel fresh out of a Remington box. Very Sexy. Wouldn't you know it, 2 days after I picked up the 300 from my FFL, I found a 338 XCR II brand new. Well, I just had to have it, so now I have 2 RUMs as of tomorrow.

I really wanted the 338 and although the 300 was settling, now that I have it I really like it.

I still really want the 338.

Looking at all kinds of graphs and charts, they look to be fairly close in performance, do I need both other than satisfying my desire for wanting both?

Is it silly to have both?

What can the 300 do that the 338 can't?

What can the 338 do that the 300 can't?

What is the biggest 30 caliber bullet available? What kind of velocity can you expect with that bullet?

What is the biggest 338 caliber bullet available? What kind of velocity can you expect with that bullet

For hitting paper, what is the optimum load (theoretically) to go the furthest distance for both calibers. (For hitting an animal I already have those in mind).

Make the argument for me to keep them both and where their tasks might differ. Keep in mind I have never sold a gun so making that case shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the help. gun)

If it is not a hardship, keep both 'just cuz'

300RUM - biggest bullet is the 230grain Berger Hybrid with a G1 BC of .743. Depending on your barrel length, you could get these bullets going 2900+ (I had a 32" barrel 300RUM that sent the 230s at 3000+). This combination will outperform the 338RUM in drop and drift out to a certain point (my guess is that point is beyond 1000yards).

338RUM - biggest bullet is the 300grain Berger Hybrid with a G1 BC of .818. As before, depending on barrel length, you could get this bullet going 2800+. The advantage it has over the 300RUM is retained energy and longrange (read: beyond 1000).

Nothing wrong with having either or both.

I think components are a little more available, and cheaper in the .300.

Without implying the .300 is inadequate, the .338 offers a bit more terminal performance, at very close, or very far.

Set them up so there configured a little differently, Make one a walking around rifle, one as a committed "pure" LRH rifle.

The 230 Berger or the 300 Berger will work at range.

The 220 Nosler Partition is what I'd pick for a big bear up close in the .300, but here is where more caliber will begin earning it's keep. The 275 Swift A-Frame I've seen work well on a friends grizzly. If I ever have another grizzly tag one day this will be what I'm using. The 300 grain Accubonds may grow on me though.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I could trade either. once I get a gun I bond with it and have a hard time parting with it. The closest thing is I let my dad take with him an AR-15 and AK-47. Doesn't really count since I know where they will end up when he dies. I still have a Core 15 1:9 DI AR and a Adams 1:7 Piston AR and an AK I got from my father in law when he died. It was a single stack Clinton era ban model. I had the mag well modified, put on a quad rail, and a Tapco stock.... its awesome now.

LOL point is once I get em I don't let them go far. But I prolly will go the dual setup idea. Make the 300 the new all around animal killer and make the 338 a long range boomer or Alaska bear gun. I'll demote the 6MM to target and critter duty although it has killed a lot of game including a bear. The bear was by accident when I was young and it was about 30 yards away on its back legs staring at me. I was scared stiff. My plan was take the shot with the 6MM, drop the rifle and immediately pull the Python and blast away. I aimed for the throat as I thought the bullet would not penetrate well in the chest and I also thought at close range it might shoot high. To make a long story short the 90 grain Nosler bullet entered its throat and decimated its spine at the brain stem area. I dropped the rifle for no reason. It didn't kill it instantly but, the nervous system was sufficiently damaged that the bear was paralyzed or for whatever reason it did not move just fell over after who knows how long as I was too scared to notice. My dad ran up on me a few minutes later as he wasn't far. Said I was holding the Python with arms extended ready to shoot but shaking like a leaf. Kinda freaked him out seeing his daughter like that. Anyways, he finished him of with a 44 Mag.

Crap I'm rambling. Point is the 6MM has been very good to me.

keep both
rechamber the 338 RUM to the 338 EDGE !
you will only need to buy 300 RUM brass for both which is easier to find
Remington, Nosler, Norma and Federal make the stuff and Bertram makes the 338 EDGE which you can also use for your 300 RUM , you can use 338 Rum dies to load the 338 Edge so there is no need for expensive custom dies

plus the best reason is the 338 Edge is a lot sexier than the 338 Rum !

IIWM What Swamplord said.

Oh, I did.

Rem 700 300RUM
Custom Hall E 300 RUM
Target 300RUM, R700 action single feed, Barrel Block mounting...
338 Edge, Wby. Think TRR in 338 Edge.

Actually the Rem 700 is available. Not looking to part with it for any reason other than the Hall E exists. The Rem would be much better for hunting if it had to be carried any distance.

Maybe I should keep the Rem 700, same reason we are telling the OP to keep both...

It's already in the safe.

Oh and

The Hall E will become a .375 of some sort. The action is an R700 type but 1.48" around with a 1.25 tenon over the Rem 1.065 tenon.

oh goodness.....

What have I done. Yep, same as the OP.....:D

I'd get rid of the .338 RUM. I would also turn the .300 into a switchbarrel clambering a barrel in .338 Edge. This is just me.

Thanks for the replies. Now that I have both in hand I will keep them both. I have never been much for wildcats so I will keep original chamberings.

Just ordered bullets and brass.
190 grain HPBT Match King Sierras for the 300 RUM
250 grain HPBT Match King Sierras for the 338 RUM
55 grain Nosler Silver tips for my Model 722 244 (6MM) 1:12 Twist
95 grain Nosler Ballistic tips for my Model Seven & Model Four 6MM 1:9 Twist

Thank you for the feedback.

Just ordered bullets and brass.
190 grain HPBT Match King Sierras for the 300 RUM
250 grain HPBT Match King Sierras for the 338 RUM

Interesting choices. these are neither great hunting bullets nor do they have the best BC's in their caliber. Why not go with the 230 and 300grain bergers? Is your intent to engage targets at closer than 1000?

Interesting choices. these are neither great hunting bullets nor do they have the best BC's in their caliber. Why not go with the 230 and 300grain bergers? Is your intent to engage targets at closer than 1000?
a buddy of mine dropped coin on a 500 count box of the 220 sierra hpbt last month and sent it to my house for loading. The reason, these things shoot!! He's got a finicky rifle and only that and the 225 hdy seem to shoot well.

a buddy of mine dropped coin on a 500 count box of the 220 sierra hpbt last month and sent it to my house for loading. The reason, these things shoot!! He's got a finicky rifle and only that and the 225 hdy seem to shoot well.

That's his rifle. Yours could and hopefully would shoot the higher BC bullets. Although many hunt with SMKs, they are not optimal.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.