A Max

beyond

.308 cal 168 grain Amax pushing 2600 fps. Will It kill to 700yrds on a muley? Rifle is a rem 700 VTR 20moa nightforce rail, burris xtr rings, custom trigger, bushnell elite 5-15 x 40mm with target knobs. Getting groups at and under .50 moa with this rifle and load combo. First round hits to 900yrds on calm days. Lots of range time and very comfortable with this rifle.

That round will be generating around 900lbs or so energy (rough guess) and thats pretty fair amount of energy , plenty enough to kill a deer providing that the bullet expands and of all the match bullets i think that the A-max is the best for expanding at lower speeds.

All that said , I'd try the 178 A-max and run them a little faster , you should be able to get the 178's pretty close to 2700fps or at least run the 168's a bit faster.

Theirs alot of guys that say the bullet should hold 1000lbs of energy to kill deer , I don't think thats nearly as important as the bullet performance , if the bullet expands well and will dump most of its energy then it cleanly kill game.

Think about it ,if you stick a 45 ACP right up against the rib cage of a big ol'buck and shoot him he is gonna die correct? and that less than 500lbs of KE

All i would say is that if you make a good shot it will die. I beleive that shot placement means 3 times as much as bullet choice. I know of people that have taken big game animals including elk with a 243 shooting a 105gr. Amax at extreme ranges, up to 900 yards. Some i am sure will be mad about taking that shot but what i can say is that he knew what he was doing and all the animals never went farther than 50 yards and were dead. If you feel you can take the shot well then take it. If you dont feel comfortable then try to get closer.

Last edited:
178 gr A-MAX

Did you try the 178gr A-MAXes yet? My gun shoots 0.3" or smaller (0.089" smallest 3-shot @ 100yds). 41 grs varget, cci br2, 2.882" col). I have a review on my website in my signature.

2009-01-26.jpg

3-shot group @100 yds: 0.089"​

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.