208gr A-Max

freebird63

How many on the forum have came up with a decent load for the 208gr A-Max for the 300RUM???
How sensitive are these bullets to seating depths???

Ive shot a ton of Amaxs, and they are not sensitive to seating depths. Ive shot 168s, 178s, 208s, and 162s.

No experience with this one in the RUM but we have worked with it in a couple bigger chamberings, the 7.82 Warbird and my 300 AX. In my AX, I had a 1-8 twist barrel, not good for this bullet. Came apart well before velocity peaked.

In the Warbird however, which has pretty much the same velocity range, it worked very well because of the Warbirds much slower twist. I believe its a 1-12 if I remember correctly.

We never played with seating depth, there was no real need. Seated 10 thou off lands and went with it. Shot very well.

In my next 300 AX, I will fit a 1-12 twist barrel and give them another try because I have really liked what I see on LR impacts on deer size game, very impressive.

Again, we did not have any issues with seating depth issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.