7mm 162gr A-Max

I used 140 Amax in 6.5x284 Killed a number of deer both Whitetail and Mule all shots at under 300 yards. I only found peace of bullets, and have had at least Two backbone shots where the bullet traveled a good distance in the spinal collum I switch to a 140 Nosler that shot the same group It's a bone crusher and holds together. I would not use Amax on Elk they are a much tougher animal I learn a painful lesson along time ago in Montana. Tracked a wounded Elk over 10 miles shot with a 270 and the bullet came apart A third of the meat was soured and jellied.

I wouldn't use it on elk, just coues. I have other bullets set aside for Mulies and Elk. Thanks for the input

Been killing coues since 1983. Twice I used the 162 A-max with a 7 Rem mag to take them. Both shots were between 300 and 400 yds. Exited both times.

With two guys it is easy to hang one up in a tree, skin and pack out all the cuts. Cloth bags work great, even pillow cases will work. Usually do the gutless method, making a slice into each side of abdomen near hips to retrieve tenderloins at the end.

While I have packed out all the deer's meat by myself, I prefer to have a helper or two. Haven't taken out a whole gutted deer in well over 20 yrs.

This will make everyone grin, one time I got to the deer (500 yd cross canyon shot) that was quite a trek to go down and up to deer and forgot to bring a knife!!! I tied the entire deer on my backpack frame and brought it back to the truck. Would not want to consider that now!

We always hunt in pairs for safety and we tag team carrying them out. Agreed, its a lot easier and faster for 2 people.

Thanks foe the input

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.