A&D FX120I and V4 worth it?

Nuclear Worker

Ok guys still pretty new to reloading. Me and my wife have 6BR ,6.5x284,6.5 Grendel. Only reload for the 6.5x284 now plan on reloading for all. We do not shoot competition just for fun and hunting. I have a Hornady dispenser now and another scale that I check against. Is spending over 1000$ really worth it for what we do? Or am I just jumping in that rabbit hole deeper?

Everything in this sport is a rabbit hole…lol

there was a thread a few days ago, where everyone went fairly deep into this… it was titled "Which Scale"..
I'm also looking at buying a new scale is the scale worth it for just a stand alone without the auto trickler. David

I have a $300 chargemaster I bought when they came out several years ago, and I retired a balance beam 505. Several months back I picked up a used V3 and and brand new FX120i. I was surprised to find that the chargemaster Is way more accurate than advertised. Plenty accurate enough for anything other than f-class competition. My v3 does throw faster so I like using it.

I would assume they make the inserts for the Hornady as well, on the Chargemaster they speed up the dispense and increase the accuracy. I run 2 pans on a CM and hand transfer and trickle on the FX120 and it is pretty fast for me. It depends on how many rounds you are doing if the trickler is worth it but for sure the FX120 is, it stopped all scale drift and rezeroing issues.

I'm also looking at buying a new scale is the scale worth it for just a stand alone without the auto trickler. David
They are very nice scales and the auto trickled looks like it will be outstanding as well. I have used the charge master and charge master lite for years and they have been worth every Penney, but I just wanted to step up a level. If the price doesn't bother you, the A&D 120i would probably be the last scale you would ever need to buy.

I have no doubt the V4 is best.

That said, I am really happy with my chargemaster lite at 1/4 the cost. It has been very accurate (to the .1 only) and has only overthrown twice. Much, much better than my old unit. I bought two actually and the two running are fast and consistent.

I can't shoot well enough or have a need to notice more precision than .1gr.

I have no doubt the V4 is best.

That said, I am really happy with my chargemaster lite at 1/4 the cost. It has been very accurate (to the .1 only) and has only overthrown twice. Much, much better than my old unit. I bought two actually and the two running are fast and consistent.

I can't shoot well enough or have a need to notice more precision than .1gr.
Brother I am with you on that. I just ordered the 120i scale and V4, only because I wanted it, not because I needed it to produce quality ammunition for hunting and fun shooting. But, my equipment is improving and I would like to get everything out of it that I can. For the last 40 years bootstrapping it worked just fine for what i do. Sometimes its just nice to treat yourself to something better.

I've had my FX120I for a few months now and the speed at which it weighs powder has been my favorite part. I used to use my Lyman electronic dispenser to get close to a charge and then trickle using the fx120i. However I actually found it is faster and easier to just use some measuring spoons to dump the majority of the powder and then trickle up to my charge.

I'm current waiting on my V4 so no experience with it yet. However I find the idea of saving some time dispensing powder worth the money in the long run as I like to reload but I also like to shoot more. Thus if I can save some time reloading it should give me more time to spend shooting and with family.

Ok guys still pretty new to reloading. Me and my wife have 6BR ,6.5x284,6.5 Grendel. Only reload for the 6.5x284 now plan on reloading for all. We do not shoot competition just for fun and hunting. I have a Hornady dispenser now and another scale that I check against. Is spending over 1000$ really worth it for what we do? Or am I just jumping in that rabbit hole deeper?
I say no but whatever floats your boat.

No!

I don't find it to be significantly more accurate than tricking on a lee balance. I do find it to be a LOT faster. I started with a V1 throwing with a spoon and letting it trickle to charge weight. I like the automated scale. One thing I do wish it had was the ability to tweak when the trickler takes over from the barrel and the ramp down rate independently.

In my experience, the only high dollar tool that made a significant improvement in accuracy has been the AMP annealer. Everything else was an improvement in speed.