Is a Labradar worth it?

I got mine and out of the box it wouldn't pick up suppressed shots, maybe 50% unsuppressed, and pistols I had to shoot from one specific spot (tested for about three days off the back porch). Totally frustrated I emailed them with a *** email and they handled it very quickly. I think they may have even sent a return label? They tore it down and found a defective mic (which they said mine was in a lot the suspected as having them in our first email). Turned it very quickly as I recall.

Some other folks talked about external mics, mine now functions flawlessly to include .22. I don't recall trying .22 pistol suppressed or subsonic ammo but I'd bet it picks it up.

I would never go back to an optical chrony that has issues with light, not enough light, to close to the gun, to far from the gun, gets shot, etc. I also like it over the magneto speed because I can set up once and fire multiple firearms in a single sitting (I have four children and two of them are developing their own loads now so it gets busy for the chronograph).

It's a big investment but totally worth it IMHO.

I like my Labradar. I agree with McFraser that it could be better engineered and the software could be more intuitive, but once you learn how to operate it you're good to go. If shooting through a barrel gives you problems with triggering, get the remote trigger.

I had issues with mine. The kind caused by placing magnums kinda close, for a few thousand rounds, well past the warranty.

As I mention in this post, they treated me well, and did it in a pandemic.

what issue is that?

i have a std cell phone charger battery hooked up to mine....10000 mah.....I've been out 3 days and haven't dropped a light! I would think one of the much cheaper 5000-8000 mah packs would be fine. Still working on getting a 90 deg plug.

I kind of worry how the tube will effect it, but it should be ok if tube is big enough. FYI, to trigger, it is supposed to be close to the muzzle.

I like mine. I reload pistol, rifle and really didn't want to shoot for accuracy and velocity data separately. That is where this and a std chrony are the only ones that work. The setup on this is amazing comparatively. I'm pretty anal about lining up the v notch, but it works well enough for me so far.

You need some kind of mount and probably a battery pack. All else is optional.

Last edited:
My Labradar has been sent back twice and the last time it returned with the same problems it left with, being unable to tune out other shooter's shots. They accidentally returned someone else's unit to me this last time and it worked great so I know that some of them do. I was unaware of the mistake they had made and had several great trips to the range, then sent the unit to the person it belonged to, got mine back and back to same ole s%$#. I have wasted much ammo and numerous charge weight rounds trying to get it right.This has been going on for over a year now and I dread making another call to them, the return shipping, waiting etc. I bought a Magnetospeed and it works great just have that weight hanging off the barrel. I am now trying to decide which one to buy aftermarket parts for.. I am feeling like the guy mentioned above that tied his LR to a post and ended his misery and frustrations.

Personally the Magneto speed Works great for me you load up three to four additional shells for your velocity after you find the best load cause up to that point the velocity does not matter. Your going to be watching two things group size and pressures. Once you find the sweet spot you need the velocity for your ballistic cal's. I may just be lucky but working loads up like this then shooting velocities at 100 yards I've been on 18 inch steels at 600 each time I've done this and then Tweaked my velocity to dead center at 600.

I use the magneto speed. My load development starts with a wide spectrum ladder test, ie 20 rds over a 6gr range in the 6 creed. I then pick a node for a narrow spectrum ladder, ie 3 rds at .1 gr steps over a .5-1 gr range depending how wide the node is. This chrono data is done on gongs out to 600 yds and is by no means wasted barrel life. I use it for practicing form, learning to track through the scope, building shooting positions, etc.

From that data I pick the charge with the best ES & SD and start with seating length to tune the accuracy I need. This is done without the MS attached.

Using this method I may not get the MOST accurate load at 100yds but i get excellent ES/SD and in my experience that really starts to count out past 400 yds. I've been burned before when i used other methods where I found a really accurate load at 100 and the load fell apart at distance because of ES or a weather change kicked it out of the tiny node it was running in.

I thought that I would get on the Labradar bandwagon until I saw 3 of them, owned by 1 person, go down. AFAIK, it was never resolved, but I do know that they were sold.

Other that this incident and what I have read multiple times, I have no personal experience with them.

Take this or not.

I am partial to my Magnetospeed Sporter for less than $200. It works great so I see no reason to invest more money in a chronometer. It does not change groupings for me but it does change point-of-impact by about an inch at 100yds. I use it for all my load workup and I only take it off for final scope adjustment.

My Lab radar has been well worth it to me. I shoot both brakes and suppressed and have gotten good results with both though occasionally it takes a little fiddling with the settings and placement.
Others on the thread seem confident that the barrel issue won't be a problem and they are probably right. I think the instructions say the placement is supposed to be with-in 18" or so from the muzzle so if your set up allow this, I think you'd be fine. I certainly wouldn't put mine inside the barrel confines with the muzzle though as there have been reports of damage from muzzle blast. (I have not had problem even though I use it with larger magnums with muzzle brakes)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.