A&D FX-120i powder scales worth it

Love the machine but to be honest, I don't feel it's worth the price tag.
I can run 3 other chargemasters for the price of one AutoTrickler and yes, I've owned one.
It's not like I'm anymore accurate shooting to warrant the price tag either.
It's way cool and a great luxury but it stops there for me personally.

Last edited:
Love the machine but to be honest, I don't feel it's worth the price tag.
I can run 3 other chargemasters for the price of one AutoTrickler and yes, I've owned one.
It's not like I'm anymore accurate shooting to warrant the price tag either.
It's way cool and a great lecture but it stops there for me personally.
Thats my hang up. I don't think I'll ever shoot the difference. Not to mention, that assumes that one can improve their ES with more precise measurement of powder. Its not a cure all- measuring powder that accurately doesn't keep you out of all the other rabbit holes involved in obtaining consistently low ES. If the node is good, charge is down the list a ways (Assuming it is reasonably consistent anyway). I may buy one at some point anyway, but not because I NEED it.

Thats my hang up. I don't think I'll ever shoot the difference. Not to mention, that assumes that one can improve their ES with more precise measurement of powder. Its not a cure all- measuring powder that accurately doesn't keep you out of all the other rabbit holes involved in obtaining consistently low ES. If the node is good, charge is down the list a ways (Assuming it is reasonably consistent anyway). I may buy one at some point anyway, but not because I NEED it.
Here's the thing for me... why would I want a load that only shoots good if my loads are within one kernel. At that point I'm not in the most forgiving load anyways.
I just run my chargemasters so they throw charges .1 shy and then trickle charge from there. You'll have to wait a couple seconds to verify charge change but honestly it was surprisingly super close to the AutoTrickler scale doing it this way.

Here's the thing for me... why would I want a load that only shoots good if my loads are within one kernel. At that point I'm not in the most forgiving load anyways.
I just run my chargemasters so they throw charges .1 shy and then trickle charge from there. You'll have to wait a couple seconds to verify charge change but honestly it was surprisingly super close to the AutoTrickler scale doing it this way.

This is my view on it. The only reason I got the one I did was for speed of repeatability and not having to worry if my scale is working/accurate or not. That and I like nice lab equipment. I'd have bought a mettler toledo analytical balance if I had the money... Just for fun

I just picked up a used lab/pharmacy balance that is good down to .001grams (about 0.015 grains). Other than the hassle of converting loads from grains to grams, the consistency and speed is very much worth it IMHO.

eBay has them from time to time down to $100-$200. Only thing different I would do is wait for one that has grain units.

Whats the difference on target between a good beam scale and a good electronic? Seems as though the variation in neck tension would negate any advantage of a precision scale. I guess it just minimizes one more variable in long range. I just dont see a few kernals of powder making much difference, at least IME

Whats the difference on target between a good beam scale and a good electronic? Seems as though the variation in neck tension would negate any advantage of a precision scale. I guess it just minimizes one more variable in long range. I just dont see a few kernals of powder making much difference, at least IME
Some guns .5 gn doesnt matter one bit. My 28 nosler could care less in the node. Easy to tune as any gun Ive had. But boy is my 6.5 PRC finicky .2+/- and she will throw out and inch at least.

Whats the difference on target between a good beam scale and a good electronic?
There being 20 holes in the target vs 100 holes in the target.

I don't have all day to load, and an electronic scale with dispensers run faster. And I'm not in the "run two Chargemasters simultaneously" group, that would makes it even faster. Probably faster than I could seat bullets at that point.

FWIW I do weigh a lot of my ladders manually still. I'm currently loading 5x5 groups in 30-06 (5 cases each of 5 different powders, same bullet), I don't want to clean five different powders out of the throwers so I used my old Redding manual trickler and Lee dippers into the cup on the scale. But once the time comes to produce 100 of the same load, I'm all for getting fast AND accurate.

Last edited:
I don't use an A&D because I think my loads will be sensitive to a kernel of powder, or even a 0.1 gr of powder, but I love knowing that my charges are that consistent. And the Autotrickler will give you super accurate charges twice as fast as the RCBS Chargemaster will give you semi-sloppy charges, so the speed alone almost makes it worth the price.
Before I had the Autotrickler for my A&D, I would use the Chargemaster and then verify with the A&D, and it was surprising how far off the Chargemaster would be sometimes, even though it showed the right charge.

I don't use an A&D because I think my loads will be sensitive to a kernel of powder, or even a 0.1 gr of powder, but I love knowing that my charges are that consistent. And the Autotrickler will give you super accurate charges twice as fast as the RCBS Chargemaster will give you semi-sloppy charges, so the speed alone almost makes it worth the price.
Before I had the Autotrickler for my A&D, I would use the Chargemaster and then verify with the A&D, and it was surprising how far off the Chargemaster would be sometimes, even though it showed the right charge.
I guess I'm a little more patient when trickle charging with the chargemaster. When comparing I'd be within .1 grain of the A&D.

It throws a single charge faster but to be accurate you generally have to throw your charge under intended weight and then trickle charge from there to be accurate. If you put in desired charge exactly you will get some over charges.

Last edited:
Same here and as said above I'll never be able too shoot the difference, I had one but it made no improvement in groups or ES and SD over the beam but it was faster which matters very little to me but by all means if you want one they are a great scale

I guess I'm a little more patient when trickle charging with the chargemaster. When comparing I'd be within .1 grain of the A&D.

It throws a single charge faster but to be accurate you generally have to throw your charge under intended weight and then trickle charge from there to be accurate. If you put in desired charge exactly you will get some over charges.
I like to set the Autotrickler to 0.02 below the target and that helps. The charge is almost always within +/- 0.05 gr of the target.
Sometimes the chargemaster would be dead on what it read, and the next charge would be nearly 0.2 higher than what it read.
Probably doesn't make much difference, I just like to know that they're good

Last edited: