A Brief History of Reloading

mwkelso

I chose this topic for a college course and am having to present on it.
I knew a vague history of the transition from muzzle load to breech load, then picked up the history again around 1928 with the production of Pacific Tool's C-Press but was having a tough time filling in the space between. I found this article and thought some might find it interesting.
I'd also love to hear about other gaps in the history this article doesn't cover from those far more knowledgeable than I am.

If JE were still here, you can bet confidently that I would have messaged him already for this.

https://loaddata.com/Article/LoadDevelopment/The-History-of-Handloading-Not-Just-a-Fad-Anymore/448

Give Kirby Allen a shout, he'll be as well versed in that period as anyone.

Reloading has been alive and well since smokeless centerfire cartridges first made the scene, especially the larger calibers such as 45-70-45-110 and the big fifties that were popular with the buffalo hunters following the Civil War as well as for the big African Magnums since factory ammo was very scarce, hard to come by, and often prohibitively expensive.

The biggest growth in handloading however started in the post WWI Era.

You might enjoy this article as well.

Here's another from Loaddata.com . It's a good resource, a subscription service I've used for a few years.

Give Kirby Allen a shout, he'll be as well versed in that period as anyone.

Reloading has been alive and well since smokeless centerfire cartridges first made the scene, especially the larger calibers such as 45-70-45-110 and the big fifties that were popular with the buffalo hunters following the Civil War as well as for the big African Magnums since factory ammo was very scarce, hard to come by, and often prohibitively expensive.

The biggest growth in handloading however started in the post WWI Era.

You might enjoy this article as well.

Here's another from Loaddata.com . It's a good resource, a subscription service I've used for a few years.

I will definitely read these! I'm working through the introduction of smokeless powder again. There are so many things that happened in those few years.
Then again after both WW's with the surplus rifles and supplies, wildcats, etc.

I will definitely read these! I'm working through the introduction of smokeless powder again. There are so many things that happened in those few years.
Scroll through this section on Ebay, it will blow your mind.

We had some 1870's, 80's, and 90's reloading gear passed down from my G Grandfather that we donated to a museum a few years back.

He was a Federal Marshall in that era with a huge territory spanning NW NM, SW CO, Western KS and OK, and the Western TX Panhandle.

Wild times... .

Whatever you do don't skip past the invention of non corrosive primers. That one advancement did more to change the firearms industry than anything since the invention of smokeless powder. You'll blow your professor and peers away.