Cost of reloading

I may have missed a post but I did not see mention of depreciating the cost of the reloading equipment (press, dies, calipers, scales, remers, trimmers etc. As I look at my reloading room and all the stuff needed to do good handloading I know my costs are a lot higher than the cost of brass, powder, bullet, and primer. No matter what I tell my spouse!

I started reloading 58 year ago. Powder was under $2.00 a pound, primers were about .50 per hundred. 100 bullets were about $3.50 per box of 100. I put together a per cost per round this morning. I make it out at about $1.60 per round presently. I generally purchase powder by 8 lbs at a time. I try to get different powders purchases at one time to cut down on Hazmat cost. Long story short my costs are about $1.60 per round. Figuring on 5 uses of case, generally I get twice that much or more. I looked up Trophy Grade ammo, and its running about $2.75 per round. I will take my hand loads over any Trophy grade any day. Reloading is a labor of love, and expanding knowledge on performance of your firearms. I keep my eyes open for brass that the other shooter is not taking it with him after shooting at the range. If he doesn't want I ask if I can have them. Generally I get it free. Some I use and others I traded for other brass. Take a 308 Norma Mag I shoot. Try and buy ammo or brass for that rifle. Generally you can't, but you can resize 300 Win Mag brass to conform to my rifle. I have started to have a 6mm-06 build. There isn't any brass for the cartridge let alone dies for that round either, but I can get it built for me. I am a hand loader until I die. The only thing I buy is 22, 17WSM ammo factory made. I have had rifles built for me for years now. Now I am going in deeper into rifle building, with wildcat build.

Last edited:
I load for economy. One of my favorite rounds in 375 H&H. Do a comparison for the cost of a loaded round to a reloaded round keeps me in reloading. Some of the black powder stuff runs $5.00 or so for a loaded round. I can made good cartridges economically.

I am not concerned about costs I have opportunity to by a 90% turn key 338lm or build a rifle.
Then not sure why you asked the question??

If your purely getting into reloading to save money then dont start imo!

To get a true round cost some other factors you need to work into the overall cost is all the reloading equipment you buy as well & then your time.

I was lucky I got a lot of my reloading gear from the USA when our $AU was close or on parity so I saved a fair bit from what the price was here on dies, powder dispensers, etc but even then if I tallied up all my gear with brass its probably about $3000 of gear or more?

I know guys who keep track with a sliding scale with an XL spread sheet but to me the most important thing is its an enjoyable hobby within a hobby & I tailor my loads to get the most out of my rifles accuracy wise.

I can still recall the fuzzy feeling I got inside when I shot my 1st fox, my 1st pig, my 1st deer from rounds I put together myself, tested them & improved them to get them to all shoot 1/2 moa.

Thats a feeling you cant put into money terms!

Last edited:
Right: The challenge has many facets depending on ones shooting interest. Sure enough I got money tied up in equipment. Based on rounds loaded the cost per round in gear is in cents. Today I shot one hundred and fifty rounds in a handgun match. The match was a challenge. I cast my own bullets. This is another challenge. I have worked up my loads that is yet another challenge. I'll be back to the rifle shorty. That will be a built up 256 Newton. This rifle is more nearly like a wildcat. Forming cases and working up loads are challenges.

Last edited:
When I first got into reloading, I did all the figuring in the world to see how much it would cots, and how much I'd save. Ha,ha,ha. Save,,,, I was so naive. I've spent way more on equipment, components, etc, I haven't saved a nickel, because I shoot far more now than I ever have. So I gave up looking at cost. As others have said, its a hobby, I enjoy it. And yes, that first deer I shot with my own reload, I still get a smile inside me just thinking about it.

Like others have mentioned I thought I would save money when I started reloading and I know for a fact that the per round cost is still cheaper than I would have spent on factory ammo for the cartridges I shoot, but I have spent so much more on components and gear than I ever would have if I stuck to factory. If I just stuck with the components I have I could probably shoot for 10 years without buying anything else and even including the gear it would average out way cheaper. But I always get excited and have to try the newest powders and bullets and brass and keep building rifles in new cartridges that I really don't need. But that's the fun in it. I still think I can make top quality ammo cheaper per round than standard quality factory stuff. I feel the same about rifles. I can buy a factory rifle cheaper than I can build one, but for what I spend building one I can get a better rifle than an equivalent cost factory gun.

What 280ai are you selling?
Rem 700 remage 26" stainless with radial brake. Manners stock with flush cups. No idea on round count. Bipod not included. Leopold rings 30mm.
My wife loves horses to so much it cost her 6 broken ribs broke back broke collar bone and a punctured lung isn't it sweet. David
That's deducation

Attachments

• 20200913_171648.jpg
    20200913_171648.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
I may have missed a post but I did not see mention of depreciating the cost of the reloading equipment (press, dies, calipers, scales, remers, trimmers etc. As I look at my reloading room and all the stuff needed to do good handloading I know my costs are a lot higher than the cost of brass, powder, bullet, and primer. No matter what I tell my spouse!
It's funny that I have learned, that I have had to figure in some other coast into my reloading. Say for example:
A new scale set up for the reloading room costed me a new Washing machine and dryer for the wife.
Plans for next years custom rifle project, $8.500.00 budgeted with NF scope. Will also cost me a NEW CAR. DAAA
Who would of thought. REALLITY.