Masters of Reloading.....

AtownBcat

I read the article by Jerry on load development and i had a quick question. If you find the sweet spot as far as the powder charge goes and then play with seating depth does it change the "sweet spot" on the powder. I just figured that by changing the seating depth you were changing pressures therefore affecting the amount of powder you would need. It seems the more i read the more it becomes apparent that the different combinations of powder/seating depth/primers/bullets are endless and you could spend forever looking for the "perfect" load.

Last edited:
It could very well be true. I'm sure most shooters NEVER find the 'best' load.
What they happen across, are loads that are 'good enough'.
There is no standard that works across the board other than to copy(as best as you can) something found to work really well.

The best apporach I've seen to compile combinations as actually better/worse, was with use of 'Design of Experiments' software.
Wish someone smarter than me would put something together in DOE.

With such a setup you would put together ~30rnds with no two the same(many combinations). After scoring each shot in a Ladder, a table would be loaded and analyzed.
Your BatComputer would spit out a ticker with the best combo, and you send Robin off to load-em-up.
Quality time with BatGirl,, and worth alot of barrel expenses..

I read the article by Jerry on load development and i had a quick question. If you find the sewwt spot as far as the powder charge goes and then play with seating depth does it change the "sweet spot" on the powder. I just figured that by changing the seating depth you were changing pressures therefore affecting the amount of powder you would need. It seems the more i read the more it becomes apparent that the different combinations of powder/seating depth/primers/bullets are endless and you could spend forever looking for the "perfect" load.
In short, no it doesn't!
What you are changing is the barrel harmonics, which is detrimental to accuracy. The powder is still performing at it's optimum, very little pressure/velocity changes will result by changing seating depth. Although if you start at a COL that is .050" off the lands, and you change it to be .005" off the lands, pressure CAN increase, but not always. It's wise if doing this to back off and work back up to the previous load.
Also, I will add, that the powder that gives the highest velocity with the least pressure is generally the most accurate because it will have a wider 'node'.
gun)

OK that makes sense. thanks for the info....
I would also like to say that with 75 views and only 2 replys..this forum seems to have more masters of baiting than masters of reloading...:cool:

The only time that I can see the pressure going up would be from a bullet with a jump 0.020 off the lands to one that is jammed 0.030. I may be way off course. I do not think that someone would every see any pressure signs between the two unless the load is already at max. You would probably have to use a strain gauge to determine this type of pressure difference.

If you want to eek out all the velocity and accuracy from your load that you can, you might just start with your max safe load and experiment with seating depth and work down in charge until you find a recipie you like. If starting with your max load, changing seating depth could affect your pressures. When your blullet gets seated to the lands it will likely cause an increase in pressure. And when you seat the bullet deepr into the case you will decrease case capacity and also probably slightly increas pressure.

Another option to think about.

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.