880" of elk in one pic.....

Kirby, I still think you should have taken that to be scored at the outdoor show last weekend. I would have loved to stand back and watch the fish and game guys stumble and fall all over themselves running over to find out where you shot him. That would have been a hoot, and to watch their faces when you said "Nebraska!" You do have a wicked sense of humor!
Jim

Mikenc,

I am one of the biggest proponants of wild game hunting but it has become a reality in this day and age that its simply not possible for many of us to take the time or spend the investment in the "POSSIBILITY" to harvest a bull elk in the wild.

If you hire a good outfitter and can get lucky enough to draw some highly desired permits, you have a much better chance of getting a wild elk and a good one at that. That said, no outfitter will garantee you a shot opportunity, just out of their power.

Living in Montana it may sound strange but I do not have the time to put into elk hunting. Just can not take that much time away from the shop for the time required to get a good crack at a good bull in the wild. Most outfitters around here that have 370 to 400" potential bull elk in the area will charge around $10K for a weeks hunt. If you shoot a bull its easier to swallow, if you do not and there is a real chance you will not or shoot a much smaller bull, the bill is still $10K!!!

I am a whitetail hunting nut. Love it over all other hunting I have done so far in my life. As such, I sped alot of time doing it but I can do that and still get work done in the shop. I can not do that for elk so I did some research on some elk hunting ranches.

There are many good hunting ranches out there that will offer you as much of a hunt as you care to make it. Personally, if I had not been testing my new 338 AX and the new Wildcat 265 gr AT RBBT for Richard Graves, I would have probably used one of my specialty single shot handguns and the hunt would have been a SERIOUS challange even with 400 yard reach on my handguns.

Point being, if you want to do it, look into some of these ranches, THere are many in several western states including Several in Nebraska, Idaho, Utah and Colorado to choose from. Look into them and you will find that many will get you hunts that are very little different if any different then a wild elk hunt. Only that your odds of shooting a big bull are much higher.

There are certainly some very low class places to shoot elk. I am not talking about those, I am talking about hunting on ranches that have more then a square mile of hunting area and often many times this much area to hunt.

If you want a big elk, you can get one. Making it as much of a hunt as possible, that will depend on your research and the specific ranch you go to but there are great hunting challanges out there to be had on high fence hunting ranches. It makes many burr up hearing that but its a fact that most of us just do not have the time or resources to take two weeks a year to travel and hunt wild elk. Simple fact.

Kirby Allen(50)

MT4XFore,

Hell, I would still be in that little room with the Fish and Game boys all over me about where I shot that bull.

it would have been fun to watch but not worth the lingering headaches!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, great elk, looks bigger than when I saw it in your shop. They always do look bigger when they are on a shoulder mount. Can't wait to stop by and see those monsters on the wall!

Forget the whitetails, go get that big Muley you saw last fall. I'll come up and shoot the Muley if you don't want it! You know I like Muley hunting! 338 AM will knock a big one down next year!

No, they were behind high fence. IT was on a large acreage hunting ranch and these animals were born and raised on this property for MANY MANY generations, starting long before threse two bulls were born.

But, no they can not be considered wild elk and I have never claimed this. There is a link to the original hunting story by one of the posters to this topic.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thought they looked like livestock bulls,if those were fair chase they would probably be in the top of the B&C book.To each his own but I see nothing but overpriced livestock when i look at highfence bulls,not impressed at all.

Last edited:
Nonya,

I used to feel the same. But that was before I learned the importance of money.

If the money turns out the way it should do this year, I'll spend a lengthy piece of time in the local mountains and I will get the shot that I am after.

After last years money loss while enjoying the hunt $1900.00 is more than reasonable.

There are high fences involved but you have to really hunt to find them as you do to find the elk.

I figure a high fenced hunt is very similar to hunting a large Utah, Wy or MT ranch were all you have to do is spend the time.

I don't much care about horns but am really interested in evaluating terminal bullet performance of some of these newer product bullets.

Everyone enjoys the outdoor opportunities in their own way.

Working in a gun shop i get into the high fence conversations all the time. as far as i see it high fence hunting is what you make of it. i know a couple of guys who hunt some awesome animals that are high fence but they will never tell you that. they claim to the honest end that they stalked up and down 10,000 ft mountains to finally claim there trophy. to me that is crap!!!! then i know alot of guys who hunt high fence stuff and will tell you straight up that it was a fenced animal and that is the end all.

there is a 99.9% chance in my life i will never get the chance to harvest a 440" bull elk in my life let alone see one so if i had the chance to harvest one in a fenced hunt,especially on the spread kirby hunted on, i would jump on it. Just as kirby has done i would tell people straight up that it was a fenced hunt and i would be proud of the animal just as i would be proud of a 300" bull i shot on public land.

i just dont see the point of knocking someones trophy, no matter what the hunt type, when they give you the story straight up.

steve

impressed?

No one requested you to step in and judge based on your impression. But since you have, it's now fair to state the thing I'm least impressed by, is your post.

Not quite - hypocritical would be if I searched for one of your threads and puked all over it. An opinion? You're too kind to yourself. It's called a lack of discretion, courtesy, and judgment. But let me leave you feeling warm and fuzzy with this opinion... Sir, you're always right when you cast judgment on other's practices, methods, and preferences - it's the rest of us that just don't get it.

Nonya,
If is not fairchase its foul

No Nonya, its not called an opinion, its called an insult. You deliberately set out to insult people and when you achieve that you try to call it expressing your opinion. That is dishonest on your part.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.