Pic of my spike bull

remingtonman_25_06

I was hunting 2nd season general, just like I always do because Oregon doesn't want to seem to give me a big bull tag. I hunted hard for 6 days and we knew there were a couple spikes in this herd. We put them to bed that night and planned a hunt in the morning. My dad and uncle went to one ridge, me and another guy went down the opposite ridge. One of us was going to get some shooting. The elk hadn't moved since that night. Me and the other guy were in the perfect position. We watched them feed out of the timber into an opening. I had been practicing and hoping for a 700-800 yard shot all year. The long shot never came, but I'll take a 250 yard shot any day. Jerry let me have the first crack and I clicked my scope up from my 200 yard zero to my 250 yard zero. I held tight on his shoulder and let loose the 200g AB. He dropped at the sound of the shot. Upon inspection, the bullet hit his shoulder and exited the offside leaving a gaping hole and taking half his liver out with it. Could not have asked for better performance.

nwkcc2.jpg

Thanks for all the pix , looks like you had a good year . I can especially relate to the whittail story part where you were running back and forth about to cry cause you felt you had blown it . And yes you , like me had blown it but was given a second chance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They'll give you that big bull tag one day, just hang in there .

Jim B.

Thanks guys. Yah I would say I had a decent year. We had a really good year on spikes. I think we got 8 or 9 combined for 1st and 2nd season, out of 10 or 11 hunters. One of our better years, thats for sure. We have also been seeing a lot more bears over the last 3 years. It use to be a rarity to see a bear, now its not unusual to see at least 1 when your up there for a couple days. I'm just glad I did not give up on that whitetail. That boy was smart, he crossed the bottom and pretty much went to the whole other side and bedded in the thickest stuff he could find. That thick draw was at least 800 yards long and 150 yards wide. I am just so thankful I found him. I would still be sick to this day to know I wounded a buck like that. I've been putting in for a big bull tag since I was 13. I have 7 points. I'm gettin fed up with Oregons ways of tags. I've had to hunt spikes every year and they are tough. I hunt my butt off every year, and I rarely even see a spike, let alone get a shot. I have only shot 2 spikes in those 7 years. There the only 2 i've shot at, so I"ve made them both count. Being able to shoot long range helps immensely where we hunt. There was a time I was the only one in elk camp with target knobs, now out of 10 or so hunters, every person but 1 I have help set up there Leupold scopes with knobs. Most shoot .300 WM, and a couple 7 RM. They use to shoot at least 5-6-7 shots at an elk across the canyon at say 500 yards. I told them with the leupold clicks and being able to hold dead on at that distance, 1 shot kills are very possible. They all told me while im siting there ranging looking at my clicks etc... they'd alrady have the elk down, or the elk would be gone. They have really redone there thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just glad I can help put more meat in the freezer for everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.