7WSM velocities?

6x47lapua

I am thinking about building a new long range hunting rifle and looking at the 7 WSM. I want to make shots up to 1,000 yards so need enough energy at that distance to make clean kills. Will be using a long action so I can seat the bullets as far out as I want. I will probably go with a 28 inch barrel.
What kind of velocities are you getting from the 168 grain and 180 grain bullets?
Thanks

If you are using a long action I would just go with a 7mm Rem Mag. WSM brass is hard to find, especially 7mm. Performance will be about the same with either.

Using a 28" barrel will give you great velocity, probably around 3000 fps with 180s. I'd consider such a setup plenty adequate for deer sized game at 1000.

I'm getting 2950 fps out of mine with 168gr Berger's out of a 24 in barrel. Stiller Tac300, Krieger 1/9 barrel seated .120 off the lands. That is where I was getting the best groups. And at .120 off the lands, I didn't really need a long action, but didn't know that going in.

And like stated above 7WSM brass is hard to come by. The last bag I bought was on gunbroker, $90 for a new bag of 50 Winchester brand.

You could chamber It for the 7mm/300 and simply neck down 300 WSM brass or neck up 270 WSM brass. But, as others have stated, there are good reasons not to go with the pure 7 WSM.

I'm currently shooting 4 7WSM's and think highly of each of them. I'm in CA and our no-lead requirements pretty much define that the Bergers are limited to non-hunting uses. So here is how they shoot. Kimber 24 inch shoots 160 TSX's at 2900. Borden / Benchmark 26 inch shoots 168 LRX's at 2950, Rem / Bartlien 26 inch shoots 150 TTSX's at 3230, and lastly a Borden / Shilen 26 shoots 180 Bergers at 2925.

As for brass, i buy Norma 300 WSM brass, neck down and fire form. The brass is very easy to get access to.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.