7wsm update

Looks cool, Chris! It is very satisfying to do what work you are able to yourself. Good luck this fall.

Yea 4by, I've kinda noticed something was up. My loads are way under max, and they seem a little warm. It's gonna suck having a 30" barrel if I have to use it to gain back velocity lost due to less case capacity.

Yea 4by, I've kinda noticed something was up. My loads are way under max, and they seem a little warm. It's gonna suck having a 30" barrel if I have to use it to gain back velocity lost due to less case capacity.

Not quit following yall here. A tight chamber is a good thing, there's less room for expansion and keeps things more consistent. The chamber shouldn't have anything to do with how warm a load shoots or not. Get new brass and fireform it to your new chamber while you are breaking your barrel in and developing loads. Are you able to seat your bullets out to the same length or is the throat on this barrel shorter than the other, if so, this is why you might be seeing pressure. No reason you shouldn't be getting 3150 with a full case of H-1000, RL25, or Retumbo.

That makes pretty good sense. The throat is shorter in this barrel, and I adjusted seating depth accordingly. I have only used new brass in this barrel. For both break in, and load development. It just seems like a tighter chamber would mean less case capacity, therefore less velocity. Unless pressure is all I'm looking for. If it is, would that mean equal velocities with less powder than more powder in a "loose" chamber?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.