300RUM Velocities

JMack

Averaging 3000fps with 200gr Nosler partition with 91.5gr retumbo book max according to Nosler volume 8. My volume 6 is showing 95gr max. Accuracy is .35" 3shot group. Is it worth working up toward the 95 chasing another 100fps? Kind of liking the speed keeps me within the optimum recommended bullet performance range out to about 725yards which is plenty for me.

If I wanted more range I'd try switching bullets over pursuing more velocity. If I was to chase more fps, I'd consider what the guys are getting with the 166-181 Hammers, the mid range trajectory these are capable of in the bigger .30's, with no sacrifice of terminal performance. Up to and including water buffalo.

Fairly certain you've got more velocity if you want it.

My old .300 H&H was 2900 and change with the 200 Accubond it always treated me well.

I might get some flack for this but oh well, here goes. I don't use loading manuals. If you check out a few different manuals for same cartridge bullet and powder you will get different starting and max loads, fact. I once found the starting load in one online manual to have a higher charge than the max load for the same cartridge, bullet and powder in another manual.

Most folks buy a RUM because they want higher velocities and longer effective ranges. I was getting 2950 with a 210 Berger, RL17, 24" barrel, 300 WSM. My 300 RUM pushed a 230 gr Berger 3100 out of a 27" barrel using RL33. You're getting WM/WSM velocities and using a lot more powder. You're choice.
1475698786093.jpg

I have some 200accubonds, I was a little concerned about them coming apart on a close(less than 100yard?) shot on say a large boned (grizz) animal @ high velocity. I also have some 180 ttsx I may tinker with.

I've always had great performance from the partitions which is why I have been working with them in my rum.

I have 210gr Bergers going 3050 with 91.0 gr of Retumbo....accuracy @ 500 yds is beyond my belief.....custom Krieger bbl, Jewel trigger....I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't own a 300 RUM. I didn't build it for plinking, so bbl life isn't a concern. I don't know if I was ever concerned with not enough velocity....rsbhunter

I have some 200accubonds, I was a little concerned about them coming apart on a close(less than 100yard?) shot on say a large boned (grizz) animal @ high velocity. I also have some 180 ttsx I may tinker with.

I've always had great performance from the partitions which is why I have been working with them in my rum.
180 TTSX have worked great in my 300 rum with Retumbo. Great accuracy and great on elk and deer. 185 and 190 Berger VLD anf 180 Accubond good also. Bought some Hammer 181 gr. to try this Fri.. Going to try some Berger 180 Elites , Lehigh 175 gr. copper, 178 gr. ELD X and Barnes 175 gr. LRX. I have too many new bullets and powders to try and not much time to do it ! Going to start shooting heavier bullets. I've never shot anything over 190 in the rifle. I know....

No worries with those Accubonds at close range. mtmuley
The 200 accubond may hold together better than a 180 will? But i can tell you from experience a 180 will blow up completely coming out of a 300rum at close range(~3350fps) Wounded black bear at close range, it definitely still put him down though. I found nothing but small pieces of jacket and shrapnel inside after inspection. If i was going for grizz it would be a solid copper bullet. I now use barnes ttsx after that experience.

I might get some flack for this but oh well, here goes. I don't use loading manuals. If you check out a few different manuals for same cartridge bullet and powder you will get different starting and max loads, fact. I once found the starting load in one online manual to have a higher charge than the max load for the same cartridge, bullet and powder in another manual.

Most folks buy a RUM because they want higher velocities and longer effective ranges. I was getting 2950 with a 210 Berger, RL17, 24" barrel, 300 WSM. My 300 RUM pushed a 230 gr Berger 3100 out of a 27" barrel using RL33. You're getting WM/WSM velocities and using a lot more powder. You're choice. View attachment 132968
I have found that the brass I use has a noticeable amount of bearing on pressure and therefore powder charges. Take a look at brass they are using next time you look at the manuals. Primers have a minimal effect as well. My guess is that this is the reason for the varying charges.

For comparison a well known combo for the 300 WM is the Berger 215 grain & H1000 in the 3,000 fps range so I would say yes, you are not using the RUM near it's potential. I ran the Berger 230 OTM at 2,980 fps at mag length(~3.7") with 89.9 Retumbo.
I would try the Hammer 181's over the Barnes as they are not sensitive to seating depth, no pressure spikes, and more velocity due to less engraving pressure. Easiest bullet to work up a load for too. If that isn't enough they are guaranteed of your money back. Steve probably has a load he can share with you also. And they are the king of penetration !
https://hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-181g-hammer-hunter/

Last edited:
I think we do more custom ammo for the 300 rum than anything else. We just did one with our new 196g Hammer Hunter at 3300 fps. Many loads with the 181g Hammer Hunter. They generally finish about 3400 fps give or take. The rum with this class of bullet is nearly unbeatable out to 800y.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts