7mmSTW vs 7mm remington ultra mag

Problem is both are handicapped in FACTORY rifles due to TWIST RATE.
The RUM I played with topped out with RE25, the slowest powder available to ME at the time, with barely 80fps on a 7STW.
We tried Retumbo, but had zero data, and had issues with dented shoulders and sooted cases.
Sure, nowadays there are better suited powder, but as Butterbean said, the long throat erodes quickly.

Cheers.

Problem is both are handicapped in FACTORY rifles due to TWIST RATE.
The RUM I played with topped out with RE25, the slowest powder available to ME at the time, with barely 80fps on a 7STW.
We tried Retumbo, but had zero data, and had issues with dented shoulders and sooted cases.
Sure, nowadays there are better suited powder, but as Butterbean said, the long throat erodes quickly.

Cheers.
I agree they should have come with 8 twist barrel's. My Sendero stw will be passed down to my son, that's why I'm in the process of having a new one built with a 1-8" twist. Contemplating even going 7.5"

The RUM will have the advantage when loaded properly. Feed it slow powder like N570, RL33, or IMR 8133 and it's going to have a leg up on the STW. Both are great cartridges nonetheless.
I'll have to disagree, as I said earlier, a bunch of us had them and they just don't work. On paper it should but in the field the STW is still the King

I'll have to disagree, as I said earlier, a bunch of us had them and they just don't work. On paper it should but in the field the STW is still the King
So what im getting is if you got rid of the insane amount of free bore and got to a much quicker twist in the rifling then we can run up some much higher speeds and stabilize some heavier bullet's correct? Im still learning here and i appreciate you all sharing with me. Im not scared of spending a little bit of money to make something awesome

So what im getting is if you got rid of the insane amount of free bore and got to a much quicker twist in the rifling then we can run up some much higher speeds and stabilize some heavier bullet's correct? Im still learning here and i appreciate you all sharing with me. Im not scared of spending a little bit of money to make something awesome
Bud I'm not knocking it and by all means build what you want you want to build, The 7 Rum IMO falls into the class of "Diminishing Returns" Simply put it's too much powder for too small of a bullet, a bunch of us had them and sent them down the road as the STW is way more efficient

Bud I'm not knocking it and by all means build what you want you want to build, The 7 Rum IMO falls into the class of "Diminishing Returns" Simply put it's too much powder for too small of a bullet, a bunch of us had them and sent them down the road as the STW is way more efficient
Like i say im listening and learning sifting facts from theories and i do appreciate the help . It will make the next rifle i build that much better.

You get away from the .5" + freebore that the factory 7rums use and you can no longer use factory data. I blew the primers badly on a few casings trying to do just that. I settled on basically a top load for a 7mm stw in my 7rum using h50bmg with my 175 eld-x pills. I'm not going to push either rifle to the wall; I'm sure I could run either rifle to 3200 fps with a 175 but a couple % down gives a lot better bore and brass life. You will still be faster than the 7rem and 280ai and should be over 1K barrel life; my sendero was still shooting at 1400 rounds even though the bore looked a bit tired.

Like i say im listening and learning sifting facts from theories and i do appreciate the help . It will make the next rifle i build that much better.
Like I said Bud, there is nothing wrong with the Rum at all and it will do a fine job but I feel sure the STW would impress you

I started this one with a factory barrel and action so the things i probably could have changed were already set in stone. I will continue using the same action or the defiance equivalent which i believe is a blueprint replica but will be able to go with whatever barrel make profile ,twist and freebore i chose. This will be when what im learning or not learning will show itself. Im thinking you all might just save me alot of money on screwed up ideas that i may have had when i go to a complete custome rifle and yes perhaps it might be a 7STW

I do NOT suggest running a short throated 7rum. The powder charge drop associated with keeping pressures in check dropped nearly all powders below the 80% fill threshold you really need to keep powder orientation issues at bay. The only powders I found that were usable were 50 cal stick powders. rl50 and h50bmg were tried and h50bmg shot well with the 175 eld-x. It didn't smoke cases and tear bullets up (the bullet thing is probably the bore) like retumbo and the 180/183 sierra pills. I would probably work with rl50 a bit more but h50bmg works and I'm not burning up bore life on a rifle that shoots below 1/2 moa already.

Well, actually having built (chambered with custom recievers) and shot the STW, RUM, and Mag. I feel I have some working knowledge, the STW and RUM are barrel burners for sure, especially when ran at high pressures, you can get a little more velocity but for what price, not sure its worth it. (Imho) That being said they are classic cartridges and like any cartridge has its pluses and minuses. I love the 7mm Rem Mag, it is the best all around cartridge out there, I know there are plenty of people that will most certainly disagree, dont beat me up over it. All 3 are great performers, just find what you like and.... what you can get components for. If you would like specifics about any certain cartridge, please feel free to PM me.