7mm remington ultra mag

Have had a 7 RUM in a Left Hand Stainless Remington with the Grey/Black Laminated stock, for 20 years. Lovely looking rifle that will shoot .3s with 3 shot groups. Thin 26" barrel does heat up in a hurry, but never needed more than one round on any animal. I do not target shoot with it, have lots of other guns for that, this is strictly a reach out there and touch them hunting rifle.
Mine really likes 7828 and Hornady 162 Grain bullets with Fed 215 primers. This is NOT a round you want to load below the max published loads. Do not go below published minimums. They are hard on barrels but they are also an awesome performer. I got 400 brass when I bought the gun and that is more than enough to wear out 3 or 4 barrels. I neck size my brass and am still using the first 50 cases I started with. They have been loaded and fired 6 times each and are sitting loaded on their 7th go around. This usage covers load development of 150 rounds, 2 shots a year to check zero, the rest all used on game.

Have had a 7 RUM in a Left Hand Stainless Remington with the Grey/Black Laminated stock, for 20 years. Lovely looking rifle that will shoot .3s with 3 shot groups. Thin 26" barrel does heat up in a hurry, but never needed more than one round on any animal. I do not target shoot with it, have lots of other guns for that, this is strictly a reach out there and touch them hunting rifle.
Mine really likes 7828 and Hornady 162 Grain bullets with Fed 215 primers. This is NOT a round you want to load below the max published loads. Do not go below published minimums. They are hard on barrels but they are also an awesome performer. I got 400 brass when I bought the gun and that is more than enough to wear out 3 or 4 barrels. I neck size my brass and am still using the first 50 cases I started with. They have been loaded and fired 6 times each and are sitting loaded on their 7th go around. This usage covers load development of 150 rounds, 2 shots a year to check zero, the rest all used on game.
Excellent thanks vary much that is exactly what I was expecting and hoping to hear about this cartridge and rifle I appreciate the knowledge sharing as it costs money to aquire this first hand experience. Thank you very much Dean 2 I'm pretty impressed with how many loadings you've gotten out of that brass

I acquired a 7mm rum myself a few months ago a practically new Remington sendero SF only been able to get 2 boxes of ammunition for it . I keep looking for brass to reload for it so far have not found them either.
Nice you may want to try contacting Jasonco the first guy to coment on my post I believe he was implying that he had available ammo. The sendaro is a beautiful rifle by the way .I wish you luck

I have never heard of anyone getting that many firings out of a Rum case, no matter how the load. Kudos

Dean
So I am curious, if you aren't getting 5 or 6 loads out of your RUM cases what is the cause of the failures. Are you losing the primer pockets or are you getting splits somewhere on the case?

So I am curious, if you aren't getting 5 or 6 loads out of your RUM cases what is the cause of the failures. Are you losing the primer pockets or are you getting splits somewhere on the case?
I had expected to only get 3 maybe 4 reloads before the start splitting especially with the pressure that rum operates at so I for 1 am very glad to hear what your saying

The 7RUM is a spectacular round love em... you shouldnt be getting any case splitting no matter how old the brass is!?? 5+ plus rounds reloads per case isn't that hard to do. run a powder that matches the case size... slower the better do not run 869 in it .. rl33, retumbo, n570

I shoot 100 Sierra HP out of mine and totaly disreguard the brass's feelings, in fact I load it like I'm mad at it. I do get well over 4000fps for my efforts though. You can only use that primer pocket tool so many times on the same piece of brass.

Dean

PS: I can still shoot the 150s even with that twist It's a 30" barrel.

PPS: Rum brass does not last no matter how you load it, apart from present company.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I had expected to only get 3 maybe 4 reloads before the start splitting especially with the pressure that rum operates at so I for 1 am very glad to hear what your saying
I am using factory Remington brass, so nothing special. The only way you are going to get splitting in a very few rounds is if you oversize the cases. Only way to get case head separation is if you have excessive headspace from pushing the necks back too much. Once the case fits your chamber, the brass isn't being worked much at all, except at the neck. Loading too hot will pooch the primer pockets. Bushing neck dies and annealing the case necks will stop you from having splits there. I have not annealed any of the 50 brass so far as I want to see how many loads I can get before I get neck splits. First one to split I will anneal the rest.

Last edited:
It's coming with 5 boxes of brass and dies but if you have available ammo I will definitely keep you in mind and probably pick your brain on what worked best for you as far as recipes go if your willing to share
Can you find out how many firing on the brass? You should take note of that. It would be good to know.

I am using factory Remington brass, so nothing special. The only way you are going to get splitting in a very few rounds is if you oversize the cases. Only way to get case head separation is if you have excessive headspace from pushing the necks back too much. Once the case fits your chamber, the brass isn't being worked much at all, except at the neck. Loading too hot will pooch the primer pockets. Bushing neck dies and annealing the case necks will stop you from having splits there. I have not annealed any of the 50 brass so far as I want to see how many loads I can get before I get neck splits..
That's excellent thanks for the info I'll not ******** anyone on here im not a reloader. I have a very good friend of mine who has top notch loading equipment and lots of experience doing it so I leave that technical stuff to him

Recent Posts