7mm08 for elk?

Also give the 140 gr Nosler partion a try. I have used them in the past out of a 280 rem as a low recoil (2600 fps) loading after I had shoulder surgery and my elk went a whopping 5 yards.

Not sure why folks are giving the 7mm-08 a luke warm reception as an elk caliber. I would not hesitate to take a 7mm-08 on an elk hunt. You can easily get 2750 fps out of a 140 gr bullet and that is plenty for an elk under 300 yards. You don't have to bring out the big toys to kill an elk, and I've seen way more elk killed with a 270 then a 300 wm or greater.

The 7-08 will work fine for elk. Just keep the yardage reasonable, and use a well constructed bullet. You may want to run some ballistics on the 160AB vs the 140Ab and the velocity you can get out of the 7-08 with each. I did made the same choice several years ago for my daughter, and went with the 140AB due to better performance at the ranges that would be reasonable. I don't think the 7-08 can get the 160g bullet up fast enough to give you any benefit over the 140g. You already have the 140g load working. I think you are good to go.

Steve

A long time ago when the Remington model 7 came out, i had great success with the 140 grain bullet in the 7X08 and elk. Took my elk six years in a row with the 7. None went more than 15 yards, the five that were unmolested dropped on the spot.

Be confident that the 7X08 will get-R-done.

Neal

I don't think the 7-08 can get the 160g bullet up fast enough to give you any benefit over the 140g.

That's probably true with most powders. With RL17 you will likely see velocites increased 100 - 200 fps which would give the 160 about the same velocity as the 140 gets with other powders. With the 7-08, I would try to get every adavantage I could. In any case the 150 E-Tip would still be my first pick.

-Mark

Last edited:
Have so rl17 on the way and 150 etips. I am going to try to get 2850-2900 with the 150s and go from there.

thanks again guys

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.