Best bullet weight for 7mm08

This is a really old thread...but ill add to the discussion.

RIFLE: SAKO A7 7MM-08 1:9.5 twist
FOR HUNTING AND TARGET SHOOTING

I started reloading using 120g bullets with varget and imr4064 starting at min and increasing by .5 gr...and seated anout 20-25 thou of the land..and it did not produced anything i was satisfied with. I also tried the barnes 145 xlr, hornady 139 and 152. And it was thesame story. So then i went for the heavier bullets and the magic started to happen. In conclusion this particular rifle loves the big bullets over h4350. I settle with bergers 168 as it prodeced the best results

This is a really old thread...but ill add to the discussion.

RIFLE: SAKO A7 7MM-08 1:9.5 twist
FOR HUNTING AND TARGET SHOOTING

I started reloading using 120g bullets with varget and imr4064 starting at min and increasing by .5 gr...and seated anout 20-25 thou of the land..and it did not produced anything i was satisfied with. I also tried the barnes 145 xlr, hornady 139 and 152. And it was thesame story. So then i went for the heavier bullets and the magic started to happen. In conclusion this particular rifle loves the big bullets over h4350. I settle with bergers 168 as it prodeced the best results

My custom 7-08 doesn't like hornady bullets. It shoots the 162 A-MAX okay. But switching to Berger was a smart choice. You may want to try the 140 VLD's into the lands.

I'll add my experience with lighter bullets in a 7mm08 that Ive had for a couple of years. My Tikka likes a 120gr TTSX @ 3000 fps, it has been sub moa accurate and deadly. I shot a cow elk last year at about 200 yd that went right down and didn't move again.

Old thread but still useful. i use 140bt in a pistol. about 40 deer kills. Double lungs dead in 35yrds or less. Will still go through a shoulder at 330 yrds. MOST hit the ground dead. Most no exit with exploded lungs. 300 yrds from a pistol is 400 from a rifle. The best deer cartridge there is. Now factory ammo is on endangered species list. I used these bullets because I needed deer to be drt, (fence line) and with few exits and bullets that explode if they hit ANYTHING I felt they offered safety with our hunter to land ratio. I have flipped deer over backwards with straight on shots. This all at 2550fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.