7mm WSM on elk?

Railroader82

Hey guys I just bought a browning bar 7mm WSM with a boss system. I'm also going on my first elk hunt this year. I'm gonna use my browning bar 300 win mag for the primary. I wanted to hear some elk stories with the 7mm WSM. Any bullet (factory) suggestions would be grand. Also some budget scope ideas would be appreciated.

I used a 7WSM on elk, deer, and antelope from 2006 until about 2012 or 13. On elk, the shortest shots were about 60 to 100 yards and the longest were at 750 and 800. I can't say anything about factory loads but found the 150 Sciroccos, 160 Abonds, and 168 Bergers to perform reliably on elk. I probably took 7 or 8 elk with it and was more than happy with the performance. My 7WSM needs a new pipe so I moved on to my 7RM, which offers identical performance. You have a great caliber in my opinion. Go forth and conquer!

Thanks I really appreciate the knowledge. I'm so pumped up about using this rifle. I'm also excited to try the boss system out. It's the only rifle I have that has one. Hopefully it'll tune up a serious elk cartridge!

Hey guys I just bought a browning bar 7mm WSM with a boss system. I'm also going on my first elk hunt this year. I'm gonna use my browning bar 300 win mag for the primary. I wanted to hear some elk stories with the 7mm WSM. Any bullet (factory) suggestions would be grand. Also some budget scope ideas would be appreciated.

If you're looking for a factory ammo, checkout HSM's 150 Berger VLD.

What's your budget for the scope? SFP or FFP?

I've never tried the HSM brand of factory ammo before. I've always wanted to but around here that's order only. I'll definitely order some of those. For the scope, my budget is gonna be sfp. I did look at the Horus vision Hunter model which is ffp and 30 mm but had never seen any real reviews on it. What would you go with?

Unfortunately I've never heard any good things about the Horus line of optics. I do like their reticles and own a Bushnell HDMR with the H58 FFP reticle. I think you would be much better off finding a used Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40 LR with target turrets. That should be around the $550 price point and provide all that you need in a good hunting scope.

I watched my cousin roll a bull elk with the 7mm WSM a few years ago. I have killed a ton of elk with a 25-06. There is no reason that cartridge will not be effective for elk.
Thanks, Kirk

Sure that 7 WSM will kill elk. But your 300 win will kill them faster. We had management hunts here on the ranch I manage both before and after the regular elk season. We took 78 elk in the 2015 season, many with my rifles. We started with the 7mm-300win using 195 gr bullets, also used my 300 win mag with 215 gr bullets as well as my 338 Terminator with 300 gr bullets. The 7mm was the only one where we had to use follow up shots on some of the elk. It became clear that the 300 killed quicker than the 7 and the 338 quicker than the 300. 78 dead elk don't lie. Not to mention, the dozens of others I have been there to take over the last 10 years.

Again, your 7 will kill elk just fine with good bullet placement and if you place the bullet you use where it works best. But if your off the mark a little, the larger rifles will be your friend.

Good luck with your elk hunt.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts