7MM vs. 6.5 x284 ??

With all things considered the 7's higher BC's will trump the the 6.5 at any range.

I had quite a bit of experience with both and sendero is right the 7mm with a high bc bullet beats the 6.5 but the 6.5x284 is way more fun in my opinion. For up to deer sized game the 6.5 is a blast to shoot where is the 7mm will have quite a bit more recoil. If I had to pick one for all around long range rifle I would take the 7mm. Just my .02.

If accuracy's one of your objectives, the 6.5x.284's trumped all the 7mm cartridges in long range matches where the rifle's shot off the shoulder. Its milder recoil makes it easier to shoot accurate.

What 7mm round are you talking about? If it's one of the magnums, the 6.5x.284's got twice the barrel life.

What 7mm round are you talking about? If it's one of the magnums, the 6.5x.284's got twice the barrel life.

Saying 7mm doesn't convey much information.

7mm TCU
7mm BR
7mm Waters
7mm 08
7mm SAUM
7mm WSM
7mm RM
7mm Dakota
7mm STW
7mm RUM
(and others)

I doubt barrel life would be of much concern in choosing between a 7mm SAUM and a 6.5x284.
There are more important considerations, like recoil, wind deflection, time of flight, and terminal energy. What's "better" depends on more things than the cartridge, though it's important.

In answer to the OP's question, 7mm is better because it offers such a wide of range of choices.

If using the 7mm RM, I'd always heard that it had a much longer barrel life than the 6.5x284.

If using the 7mm RM, I'd always heard that it had a much longer barrel life than the 6.5x284.

Yes me too. I've never heard of a 6.5x284 outlasting a 7RemMag barrel, unless talking about JB's preference (Accuflite) of LW barrels. He stated to me that the LW bbls last many thousands of rounds.

Assuming we are talking the 284 case in both choices, the bigger 7's win, but it's close. Any larger case, the 7's win.

In a smaller case like the 260 / 7-08, I take the 6.5.

With my experience with the 7mm speaks for itself, it flat-out performs and the bullet selection is better, has good SD and BC.
You just got to love the 6.5mm though, it performs also, but lacks a little in bullet selection, but the 140's are freight trains and they will flat-out ware out a deer also, bucks the wind good too. I love the caliber, in fact I am building a 6.5-06 right now.
I have to give the edge to the .284 on bullet selection, 160gr.@ 3000fps you can't beat it.gun)

In competion, where top level folks have used both cartridges, the 7mm Rem. Mag. delivered about 800 rounds of accurate life before noticable accuracy got worse. The 6.5x284 goes about 1800 rounds before that happens.

thats kind of a blanket statement too. How do you figure a 7mm allways has a higher bc. A 140 6.5 will have a higher bc then a 140 7mm bullet and the same goes for any bullet if your comparing bullets from the same manufacture. Like a comparison between two ballistic tips or to sierra prohunters. for example nosler list a 140 7mm bt bc at .485 and a 140 6.5 bt at .505. Bottom line is im a big fan of both calibers and in real life theres very little differnce between a 7mm and a 6.5 bullet of the same weight and construction going at the same speed but other then the fact that theres heavier bullets available for the 7mm theres is no clear winner here.
With all things considered the 7's higher BC's will trump the the 6.5 at any range.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.