7mm STW load work complete

I love the STW but haven't been able to wrap my head around not taking advantage of its velocity potential. I had some lots of 7828 that ran 160 accubonds at crazy speeds using Remington brass. Subsequent lots were over pressure. I've been playing around with RL26 and have had OK results with Nosler brass. They are neither as fast or as accurate. I've also noticed the RL 26 runs notably dirtier. The Nosler brass has bee driving me nuts in that the primer pockets run shallow and I've had mixed luck uniforming the depths without impacting the width. I'm running Federal 215Ms.

CatsK, I bought a match primer pocket cutter years back ,it's machined out of carbon steel and it's cuts great ,it also chucks up in my 1/2 inch DeWalt drill . Gentlemen if you love the STW 😉I'd advise you to read the STW Brotherhood's forums pages . Got a BDL /700 Remington that started out as a 7mag,had it rechambered to 7STW,gs told me it was the straightest factory bbl he ever spun between centers , it's 24 blued bbl n action ,and sits in a synthetic stock , it loves the 150 Barnes bt and Alliants RL/22 powder ,shoots as tight as my sako ,Cheers everyone 😆

I am yet to try H50BMG in mine with the 168g ABLR…have a myriad of loads to try with that powder in quite a few cartridges. The 264WM being another good candidate with my custom throats.

Cheers.
H50bmg has been good to me in my short throated 7rum. It's one of only a few powders than I can actually get decent case fil in and stay within pressure. The thing eats about like a 7stw; 86 H50bmg with a 175 eld-x nets 2900 fps. I never have really used it in the 7stw, but I or H 5010 was good with a 175 somewhere between 84 and 86 grains depending on the usual. Bullet, case, etc..

The Nosler brass has been driving me nuts in that the primer pockets run shallow and I've had mixed luck uniforming the depths without impacting the width. I'm running Federal 215Ms.
I've used a Lyman tool chucked into a drill and it's been fine for hundreds of cases. I had a hundred 6.5 creed import brass (S&B?) that was terribly uniform(weight, once fired length, etc.) but with very shallow pockets. The Lyman tool and Milwaukee drill to the rescue. Same with some ww 270 brass. Heck, I've got an older tool I use to scrape pockets lately. The newer tool cuts problem ones.

I run 7828 and 160 Partitions or accubonds at 3200.

Very very accurate combo in my stw.

Elk don't like it either....
2012-12-18_17-40-04_267.jpg

I run 74g IMR 7828 with 160 AB, CCI250, OAL 3.062, 3050 fps. Moose don't like it either. Best gp. at 100yds .216, sub MOA at 600 yds. This is in a stock Rem. 700 Sendero SF 9.25 twist 26 inch bbl.

Last edited:
Very good group. I had better velocity running slower powder. AA8700 was very fast and accurate. I know it's not available anymore but try something in that burn rate and speed will pick up... only if you're wanting more velocity though.
That's not my burn rate chart. Do you remember another with close to that burn rate??

I love the STW but haven't been able to wrap my head around not taking advantage of its velocity potential. I had some lots of 7828 that ran 160 accubonds at crazy speeds using Remington brass. Subsequent lots were over pressure. I've been playing around with RL26 and have had OK results with Nosler brass. They are neither as fast or as accurate. I've also noticed the RL 26 runs notably dirtier. The Nosler brass has bee driving me nuts in that the primer pockets run shallow and I've had mixed luck uniforming the depths without impacting the width. I'm running Federal 215Ms.
That terrible esp with the price of that brass. I refuse to buy it at that price. Can't see spending close to $100 for 25 pieces