7mm stw grizzly load

Absolutely .........

I have a 7mm Norma Mag Imp (7mm LRH) and still would not choose it over even a 30-'06 and 180 gr Swift AFrame bullets when looking for griz ... 30 cals kill better than any 7mm every time and always will

Had a 7mm Rem Mag and absolutely hated the damned things failure to drop moose, It was always a multiple shot affair or search mission, my old man still uses it but I've gotten tired of searching and now always shoot his moose after his shot, got last Septembers moose on video, 7mm shot through lungs and heart at 50 yards, moose takes off towards steep thick brushed impenetrable canyon, My 338 barked and a 270 gr Badlands bullet smashed the bull into the turf

go ahead and take a 7mm on a griz hunt, rest assured it won't be happening in my camp .... no 7's , 30-'06 and up, no exceptions

:rolleyes: This is a joke right? Now you are taking a 30-06 with 180's over a 7STW with 175s? Sigh...hard to take some people and their advice seriously on these forums.

Shooting and hunting build Confedence ,over time they turn into Accuracy ,and that puts the Meat on the Platter . Sure sounds like your Father has no problem with his 7Mag ,remember it's the Indian not the arrow?or do I have this back words lol, we both know his moose was dead as aDoor nail but didn't get the memo. Cut your Pappy some slack,& Rejoice He's there in camp with you !. With respect I know a bit about calibers & cartridges mine are pretty simplistic compared to some of your Wildcats ,but I'd like to think we are still like minded enough to share moose camp some time ,I'd probably pac my sako 75 7stw just because it was born in moose country across the pond , even though the rest of my Gals will be kiking n screaming . Cheers !!!

No Idea ,maybe some one will Chime in .

I don't know if I would take this bullet hunting for a grizzly. I would much rather take a partitioned or bonded bullet that I know will hold together, penetrate deep and cause massive trauma. This is one critter I wouldn't take any chances with.

If I was going after big bear hunting I would take a big bear gun. 338, 375 and leave the flatland gun at home. My 2 cents.

If I was going after big bear hunting I would take a big bear gun. 338, 375 and leave the flatland gun at home. My 2 cents.

I agree with you. I'm a 7mm guy all the way, 7mm-08, 7mm SAUM, 7mm Rem Mag, but for grizz, I would take a big bore. I know some outfitters in Alaska will let you take anything less than 338 or bigger, they ain't taking chances with their lives.

I agree with you. I'm a 7mm guy all the way, 7mm-08, 7mm SAUM, 7mm Rem Mag, but for grizz, I would take a big bore. I know some outfitters in Alaska will let you take anything less than 338 or bigger, they ain't taking chances with their lives.
I want the bigger bullet and that extra 1000 pounds of energy.

Pretty good...it took until post #40 before we degraded into the "Bring a bigger gun!" tangent.
My #1 vote: 175 grain Nosler Partition
upload_2019-7-30_14-10-6.png

If you can't get the Partitions to shoot to your satisfaction, then the Barnes TSX recommendation would be vote #2:
160 grain Flat Base Spitzer (TSX FB)
upload_2019-7-30_14-13-32.png

Barnes does offer a 175 grain version of this bullet but it needs a 1:9 twist or faster. If your gun has a 1:9 (or faster) then I'd use this heavier version. It's all about sectional density and penetration on the big bears. The Partition and Barnes will expand nicely and penetrate deeply. Pick the one that shoots best?

175 grain Partition did the trick. Thanks for all the help. I tried uploading a pic but it didn't work. Got whole thing on film. Awesome hunt. The Ol' STW performer flawlessly. Put first shot right in the wheelhouse and bear just spun in place. Second shot right in the pumper. Bear didn't go a foot. 129 yards free hand. Thanks for all your help!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts