7mm stw short barrel loads

bigcasey123

So recently my Grandfather gave me his savage 110 chambered in 7mm stw. He told me that It was originally a 7mm rem mag and when the 7mm stw came out and started to become popular he sent it out to get chambered in the 7mm stw. Its a beautiful gun and im excited to try out a new cartridge. My only concern is that it has a 22 in barrel, and it has porting in the last 2 in so the barrel is pretty much 20in long. Im aware that the ideal length is 26-28 inches. My question is there an optimal load for such a short barrel? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It's really going to be up to what your gun likes. The stw that I carry the most and fits good in the Scabbard on the horse is a 700 adl in 7 mag with a 24" barrel pushing a 175 Nosler partition right @ 3000 Imr 7828 is it's favorite powder.

Attachments

• KIMG0729.JPG
    KIMG0729.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 62
Depending on your hunting conditions (open ground vs heavy brush) I would go with a 140 Berger or 140 Accubond. Try h1000 first then 4831SC. One of those options should get you something that will work.

Okay I will try those. I ordered the dies for the gun from midway and they should be here soon. I have 20 Winchester brass but I will probably buy 50 of the hornady brass online too. I have both the h1000 and 4831SC so I should be able to just buy some bullets and give them a whirl. Also I have some 139 hornadys laying around I might try as well.

I've mainly shot RP and Winchester brass, some Norma 300 HH fireformed. I haven't used hornady brass much but the times I have it's been inconsistent. Some lots hold up well others the pockets go instantly. I've had good luck with the RP after prepping it. Usually get at least 5 shots out of it.

Okay sounds good I will look into it. I've used Hornady brass with some success before (other calibers) but its good to know that the RP should be good.

You might also consider IMR 7828 powder because it was developed for the 7 STW. It seems to be one of the height velocity powders in a 24 " barrel but shorter barrels for the STW are rare and uncharted territory. IMR 4831 is a very forgiving powder with a slightly faster burn rate than other recommended powders and might work best in a 20 to 22 " barrel. There are loads for Imr that could be used for the 140 class bullets.

J E CUSTOM

I found my RP brass to be very good, out of the 100 I bought, there was only one dud in the bag.
Weights were very close also.
I actually use RP brass in one of my target LR rifles in 300WM cuz it is so consistent. The Norma I started with didn't handle the pressures I was running.

Cheers.

I've noticed the same thing. RP is usually pretty good for the price. Norma is consistent but generally soft and the primer pockets go almost right away.

I bought some 8mm new a few years back and neck turned it. Shot very well and held up for about 6-7 firings.

To the OP: have you tried any loads yet?

Contrary to what many believe about shorter barrels, the powder that gives optimum performance ie; pressure & velocity obtained, is always the same powder in a short or long barrel.
So far, I've only tried 2 powders in my own STW, RETUMBO & H1000, accuracy was excellent, as I have only tested seating depth with a middle load. RETUMBO was a good 150fps faster with the same bullet weights.
I think this barrel is a shooter, only 30 rounds in, velocities are also in the upper eschalon.

Cheers.

I had my 24" bbl'd 7stw doing nearly 3500 fps with a 140 using rl26. there were other issues with the rifle, so the barrel is off the rifle in my basement now. I suggest that powder if you can find it. You may well net 3300 fps or better out of that 20" bbl...

Contrary to what many believe about shorter barrels, the powder that gives optimum performance ie; pressure & velocity obtained, is always the same powder in a short or long barrel.
So far, I've only tried 2 powders in my own STW, RETUMBO & H1000, accuracy was excellent, as I have only tested seating depth with a middle load. RETUMBO was a good 150fps faster with the same bullet weights.
I think this barrel is a shooter, only 30 rounds in, velocities are also in the upper eschalon.

Cheers.
yes, but other factors such as muzzle blast are at play too, so in a shorter barrel powder choice isn't quite as cut and dry as just using the best powder for a longer barrel. The speed will be the best, but if it isn't accurate it's still no good. I just put a striker together in 7-08 with a 14" bbl. including brake so it'll make a 20" bbl. for a 7stw seem long.
As to retumbo or h1000 in a stw... I've never gotten good speed out of h1000... I'll burn that in a 300win on occasion but it's been 20 years since I've done that. I prefer rl25, but retumbo with a 183 is what I've been playing with lately. I haven't even set up the oehler; I barely care about speed anymore. I'll check for uniformity one of these days. Prolly shoot the 7-08, my kids 7rem, my 7rum (175 e;d-x), and the 7-08 at one sitting.

I would take muzzle blast AND the fastest speed with good accuracy over less muzzle blast and poor velocity any day of the week.
That is why ear protection was invented.
I have only ONE rifle that has a brake, my 338-416 Rigby Improved 45 degree. Without it, it has more velocity and recoil than a standard 416 Rigby pushing a 410gr Woodleigh @ 2550fps. Yes, I have both in the same CZ 550 Safari Magnum actions.
Without the brake, that rifle, even at 15lbs has vicious recoil from prone shooting.
H1000 is the fastest powder I would use even with a 22" barrel.

Cheers.

So recently my Grandfather gave me his savage 110 chambered in 7mm stw. He told me that It was originally a 7mm rem mag and when the 7mm stw came out and started to become popular he sent it out to get chambered in the 7mm stw. Its a beautiful gun and im excited to try out a new cartridge. My only concern is that it has a 22 in barrel, and it has porting in the last 2 in so the barrel is pretty much 20in long. Im aware that the ideal length is 26-28 inches. My question is there an optimal load for such a short barrel? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
My friend, you have a balancing act to do. To anywhere near the potential velocity, your going to have to go to a faster powder. Using the usual slow burners, your going to have a muzzle flash, akin to that of a bazooka. The long and short of it is that something in the range of Imr4350 or so is about your best option.
Ultimately, the rifle you have can very easily be re barrelled, something in the 26+ length. That cartridge, thrives on a long barrel, and a propellant that stops burning just short of the end of the muzzle. You will learn to fall in love with that cartridge, I certainly did, for more then 30 years,I was obsessed with it. Still am. Good luck to you, enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts