7mm STW For Elk

dakor

I will be hunting Elk next fall and I would like to use my 7mm STW. My shots from what I am told could be out to 600 yards. I am having Wildcat Bullets make me some 180gr ULD Point Flatbase Bullets with a really thick jacket. The bc on this bullet will be around .700 If my rifle likes these bullets would this setup work well? I shoot this rifle probably the best out of any I have that are big enough for Elk. Has anyone hear used a 7mm STW on Elk? If so what range did you shoot it at and what bullet did you use?

The 7 STW is a ballistic twin to the 7 Dakota which I have used to shoot elk. In fact, my son and I each shot an elk with a 176 grain, Cauterucio VLD bullet last year. Mine was shot at 600 yards.

Bob's 176 grain bullet uses the thicker 30 caliber Matchking jacket for the 176 grain 7mm bullet. I feel it is perfect for long range elk hunting where you have time to pick your spot, though not so for close-in hunting in brush where you can't pick your spot on the elk.

If you only need a 600 yd max, I would recommend the 160 gr Barnes TSX. This is a proven big game bullet, that will probably pass through from just about any range and still expand reliably. With elk, most shots are under 200 yds, depending on the terrain. I would want a bullet to not explode at close range which is often a problem with the high velocity of the 7STW. You have plenty of gun, now you need plenty of bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Well I am gald to see other people do not think you need a 30 cal to kill a Elk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif A lot of people I have talked to say a 7mm is to small. The bullets I am having made will have a really tough jacket on them from what Richard at wildcat bullets has told me. He said he found a new jacket that is really thick. If my rifle for some reason does not like the bullets I am having made I will just use 160 Accubonds. Thanks for the info.

Dakor, if you plan on using a VLD bullet I would go with the Cauterucio's. They are proven winners with High BC's.
I'm not knocking Richard Graves or his bullets, I'm just saying that if I was spending the $$$ it costs for an elk hunt I don't need to experiment.

The Barnes TSX or Accubonds if they shoot well in your rifle would be my first choice for elk out to 600. Barnes are deadly killers but I could never get them to shoot. I never tried the TSX bullets but I hear guys who hated barnes accuracy say they shoot real good.

You did say in an earlier post that you are getting 3250 with the 160 accubond and 1/2" groups @100 yards. I think you would be very foolish to change this recipe! The BC is .531 that is more than fine for a 600 yard shot.

Just think about it, you spend your hard earned $$$ for an elk hunt you have a great big game bullet shooting 1/2" and you're going to switch??? If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Remember elk are one or the hardest animals to drop.

John M.

Well your post suprises me a little. To say using a Wildcat Bullet would be an experiment in bullet performance is a little baffling to me.

I have shot the Wildcat Bullets along with the TSX, Accubond, Partition and most of the other premium bullets on the market.

On average the Wildcat bullets will shoot at least as accurately as the most accurate big name bullets but provide performance on game at least as good as the top big name premium bullets.

I am not a fan of the solid copper bullets simply because they are extremely finicky as far as seating depths and pressure are concerned and they are very light for length compared to a jacketed lead bullet.

Also I have found that either a rifle likes them or hates them, there is little middle ground. I will never recommend an X bullet for use in one of my Allen Magnum rounds, they are just to finicky to load for and an unexperienced loader can get into trouble quick with an X bullet.

The Accubonds are great bullets, no arguement here, but they are still in conventional bullet weights with conventional B.C. and S.D. values.

The most unique aspect of Wildcat Bullets is you talk with Richard Graves and tell him your goals, then he builds "your" bullets for your needs. YOu want a high B.C. bullet with thin jacket for full expansion on light game he builds you that bullet.

If you want a high B.C. bullet with a stout heavy jacket for heavy game with a bonded core, he is more then willing to build that for you.

You want a ULD nose profile with a flat base and bolded core on a heavy jacket to hunt elk or other heavy game at extreme range, no problem.

It is not one size fits all. Because of that huge benefit to his customers, there are not 1,000,000 bullets of each weight and style sitting on the shelves ready to ship. They are basically made to order just as your custom rifles are.

I may sound a little bias about Wildcat Bullets because they are building the bullets for my Allen Magnum rounds but the reason I am using Wildcat Bullets is for the following reasons:

1. The owner is a fair and honest business man who includes pride in his work, this is something rare these days. He is also as invested in your hunt being a success as you are.

2. The bullet options are such that Wildcat Bullets offer so much more to the customer for such a huge variaty of needs that it almost boggles the mind.

3. They flat out shoot and perform on game.

4. They take my Allen Magnum rounds to ballistic and on game performance levels that would not be available without the use of these bullets.

Now I am not saying that Wildcat Bullets will shoot the tightest groups every time out of every rifle but I will say they are top quality in every way as is Wildcat Bullets as a company.

To say they are an experiment in bullet selection is nothing but an uneducated comment on your part. For long range hunting, comparing a .530 B.C. bullet to a +.700 B.C. bullet is not exactly a good comparision. Do a simple ballistics comparision and see how they compare.

Are they spendier then the major name bullets, yes, but there is a reason for this. Custom means built for your needs, call Nolser up and ask them to build a .700 B.C. big game bullet and see how willing they are to deal with you.

Kirby Allen(50)

Dakor,

The 7mm STW is plenty for elk with the 180 gr ULD FB Wildcat bullets with the heavy jackets.

I would imagine you will get in the 3000 fps range pretty comfortably with this weight bullet.

One bit of advice with the heavy jacketed Wildcat Bullets. If you start your load development and groups are not amazing early on in load development when the velocities are down a bit, DO NOT STOP TESTING.

Make sure you work the load development up to a full pressure charge as these heavy jacketed Wildcat Bullets seem to shoot the best the harder youcan drive them.

Richard told me this was because they need the high pressure to bump up the base of the bullet and I fully agree so give them a good work out at top pressures and I suspect you will be very happy with the Wildcat Bullets.

And despite what some say, Elk die pretty easy with a properly placed bullet.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the info Kirby I appercaite the tip. I talked with Richard again and he said the new thick jackets he recieved are a lot thicker then he thought and they would work for any game animal even stuff that might bite back. Richard also told me that he ordered some forming dies for .375 bullets and I am talking with him to see if I can get a good Long Range bullet going for my 375 H&H. As for the 160 Accubonds they do shoot well but after shooting a doe last week I do not know if they are tough enough for Elk but that will be a new post.

Fiftydriver, I have spoke to richard graves in the past when he was first getting started. He struck me as an honest guy who is determined to produce an outstanding bullet. I am confident that his bullets will perform well. I was simply saying that there hasn't been enough testing from enough people. I personally like a broader consensus.

As far as barnes go, I said I would never use them again after my wyoming hunt. They dropped the animals in their tracks, but I still felt they were too erratic for use at extended ranges. I do hear a lot of good things about the triple shocks from folks who didn't like barnes. I haven't tried them yet and do not plan on it.

I hope richard's bullets are every he expects them to be. I know Bob Cauterucio's are, but Bob is an older man and only makes what he makes. If Richard produces accurate high BC bonded core bullets count me in. I would want to see some results on elk size game before I tried them on an expensive hunt.

Happy New Year!
Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.