7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Got a Deer this evening for opening day, I had to put my STW up as the scope 6.5x20LR Leupold does not have an illuminated reticle, not long after a doe came by and got her w/ my 7mm SAUM, it has a Leupold 4.5x14LR Illuminated reticle and DRT.
All off my deck

Stuffisgood, first and foremost, Welcome to the Brotherhood!!! You are in good company here, and info is always flying around on load data, and useful tips and experiences.
It sounds like to me you are well equipped in the gun and scope department, and reloading supplies as well. I was shooting the 168 Berger for a while, but have switched to the Barnes TTSX, TSX, and LRX. The H1000 is a great powder, and your primer selection is perfect. If the 1000 dosen't do the trick, try RL 25, and the same primer you are using. A few of us here have turned to the 25' and have had really good luck with it. It seems as though the speed is better, and more consistent, and pressures are lower.
Your load OAL is going to be in the 3.630 area, as the Winchester box is a little shorter than the the Remys, but believe me, it is no handicap. I to have a Winchester. Mine is a Custom Sharpshooter, and shoots like a dream. Mine will shoot 160 Grand Slams into a knot with 78.0 grains of 25, @ 3.630 all day long. But my load for that gun is 82.0- RL 25-140 partition, with a 215 GM primer. It shoots less than an inch at 200 yards.
You are going to fall in love with this bullet after you figure out what it wants to be fed. I have been shooting this round for about 16 years, and it still gives me goosebumps. But deer don't like it worth a ****!!!!
The Berger info is a good starting point, however it may be a little conservative. I'm thinking if you start around 78-79 grains, that will get you there, and watch for pressure signs, and of course your targets. A chrono is a huge help if you have one. If you don't, get one!! Otherwise you are shooting in the dark. Keep in touch. There are lots of good folks here to help you out a long the way. Nice score!!!!

Thanks for all of the advice! I went to do some reloading this morning and what I thought was a full pack of Federal 215's turned out to be less than 10 primers... I called around this afternoon and I couldn't find any locally. I would assume not have to order any due to the hazard fee. Anyone use something other than the Federals?

Here are a couple pictures of my STW. I hope she shoots good too :D
DSC03384.jpg

DSC03386.jpg

DSC03387.jpg

Thanks for all of the advice! I went to do some reloading this morning and what I thought was a full pack of Federal 215's turned out to be less than 10 primers... I called around this afternoon and I couldn't find any locally. I would assume not have to order any due to the hazard fee. Anyone use something other than the Federals?

Here are a couple pictures of my STW. I hope she shoots good too :D
DSC03384.jpg

DSC03386.jpg

DSC03387.jpg

Quite a pretty rifle and some handsome figure in that stock.

I am using CCI 250 primers, I don't have access to other brands as readilly as CCI. They have always worked for me.

Dan

Here's my MO buck from this year, 11 points, dressed about 205. Wasn't a very long shot, 150 yards, but I'll take it. The second pic shows my results with the 160 gr Accubond. I've had similar results with them no matter if the shot was 30 yards or 500, major devastation and dead within 20 yards. Which is good, because I have only had a couple leave 2 holes. Oh yeah, rifle is a Sako 75 in 7mm STW of course.

Attachments

• 2012Deer3s.jpg
    2012Deer3s.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2012Deer7s.jpg
    2012Deer7s.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 13
Congrats on the very nice buck! Are you saying that you rarely get exit wounds with the accubonds? I am still using partitions and have never recovered one from a deer. I thought the accubond performance was supposed to be the same?

Personally I haven't used many of the AB's in anything other than the 110 in .257. That said the picture shows about exactly the results I have gotten with them.

My daughter has shot more deer with them than I have, but I have shot more hogs with them than she has. Our load has them running right at 3200fps from the muzzle. On the hogs, they do a real number even if no bone is hit, but they will not put one down reliably enough for me and I have told her not to use them on them unless she can put it right through their ear. The rifle is easily capable but the distance and conditions sometimes don't cooperate with that type of precision. I don't mind loosing a boar on occasion, but if it is good sized sow, I want it right where it is when I drop the hammer.

I have both some 154 and 160'ish grain Hornady bonded cores which I am looking to pay with a bit, either right at the end of deer season or just after it, on the hogs. I am hopeful they will preform a bit better than the AB's with regard to the explosive nature. I have seen with the SST in some calibers, react better than the BT's with this in mind, but haven't bumped up to anything with this weight and velocity capability just yet. I am hopeful however they do well.

Been some nice bucks killed since I have had a chance to get on this thread. Congrats to all. I am really appreciating the photos of the bullets performance as selecting the right bullet for this beast has turned into a real nightmare. Bergers are - - - - imho unless your shooting something big and slow. I didnt buy a STW for slow. I was looking at the Accubonds and will try the new Accubond LR's when they get released. Right now though I am thinking of going back to the good ol 140gr TSX not TTSX.

My experience with the Accubonds makes me think they should have named them AccuboMBs. I have gotten a couple of exits, but only on very close shots that didn't hit heavy bone. The others have been more like this buck, there was a hole in the ribs on the opposite side, but no exit. I just found pieces of the jacket under the hide. I can't really complain too much, I have not lost a single deer hit them them, and none has gone over 25 yards either. Dead is dead, but I guess I read too many magazines growing up talking about exit wounds and perfect mushrooms.

Jason

I definitely agree with the comment "dead is dead". However my experience with Accubonds on elk is that they make it through the near side rib cage and then totally disintegrate leaving no exit wound. These are the most consistently accurate bullet that I've shot. Wild game is too important to my diet to loose a front quarter because my bullet blew up.

I have had very good luck with the new Barnes TTSX on moose and elk in both .338 caliber and .30 caliber. This is on shots from 30 yards to over 400 yards. All kills have been pass throughs and all bullets
have expanded leaving at least a twice the caliber exit wound.

I purchased some 168 gr. 7mm Barnes LRX bullets for my STW but so far I have not found any load data.
I reluctantly used 160 gr. Accubonds this season with the same explosive performance, DRT but lots of wasted meat.