7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Nice Shootin Bro .....Glad to see your Dad is still at it

Gamehawker, glad you got some meat hanging from the pole. Tell your dad that I love his hat and sweater, Awesome!!!
I knew you were going to smoke something in VA. That place is eat up with deer. And nice shot on the doe. That's a decent body size on that buck as well. Every body says the deer are small in MD, and VA. Well let them keep right on thinking that. Like my other brother said, glad you got to spend some time with dad, that is priceless, and worth more than the biggest buck in the woods!!! Keep up the good work.
I will be on my way to MD Thursday nite!!! Can't wait. Happy Thanksgiving buddy.

Lee and Bob,

My Dad is quite the hunter. My guess is that he has killed over 500 deer so far in his life. I had a stroke (during an open heart surgery) almost 11 years ago and I was only able to shoot a rifle again a year and a half ago. My Dad was awfully pleased when I radioed him at his treestand yesterday morning and told him that I got a 6 point buck. He wasn't worried that he got a deer yet and wanted me to get one. And he wanted to see if I could shoot a doe in the neck at 230 yards. I'm glad he was there to see it.

I had an incredible time hunting and spending time with my Dad these past couple of days and I will always cherish it.

And Bob I totally agree with you saying "I got to spend some time with my Dad, that is priceless, and worth more than the biggest buck in the woods!!!"

Someone got an incredible deal on a Winchester Model 70 Sharpshooter 7mm STW Stainless Steel Rifle.

Winchester Model 70 7mm STW Rifle Stainless Steel : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

I was looking real hard at it and resisted buying it!

If that is the final price, that **** sure is a deal. The stock on mine is different. Mine is a McMillan. I think that one is a Bell Carlson. Awesome rifle though. Mine is a tack driver, and shoots about anything you put into it.HHMMMMM!!!!!!

I was contemplating a 7mm build and in researching the options read about the 7mm STW. That is how I stumbled onto this thread. And what a thread - over 1000 posts since march! Incredible.

In my hopes to learn all that I could from this tread (which has been a lot) I set out to read all the posts. I made it a 1/3 of the way.

If you will indulge me I would like to ask some specific questions and what I am thinking. The purpose is a long range rifle for steel and when the situation arises game. I am thinking 168 or 180 gr Berger VLD. I am still considering barrel contour and brake, but these can wait a bit. I should add that I handload all that I shoot, but I am by no means an expert. I have access to a 500 yard range for development. Other times I have access to long range +1000 yards.

Option A: A lower cost budget Savage build. I have some experience with this route and like doing it. The big stumbling block is finding a suitable stock replacement for the large Savage action AND an internal magazine that can accommodate the crazy long cartridges. I have access to a new in box barrel, 26", 9.5" twist, muzzle OD of 0.810". Any Savage guys on this thread?

Option B: Using a Rem 700 action that I can repurpose. This would come off my go to hunting rifle, so I'm really not sure I would like to do this. I would still need to consider stock and long enough magazine. (I don't have a gunsmith lined up for this.)

Option C: Using a barrel nut custom Shilen action (probably nearly identical to the Stiller Tac 300 action). This a Rem 700 clone (or close to it), though the receiver takes Savage threaded barrels. Same questions of magazine length apply. This option is a hybrid of A and B, because it is a barrel nut system that I can do the work on, but with greater flexibility towards Rem 700 stocks, etc. This is perhaps the most expensive option, which is something of a consideration. I would want the build perfect if I went this way.

In all cases I would like to bolt the action onto an aluminum bedding block. Though this may complicate the question of cartridge length. Has anyone done this? Say, to a Manners new mini-chassis? Or a Whidden V-block? Or A Bobby Hart stock?

Questions: Just how long of a cartridge should I be considering here? Between 3.6 and 3.7" More than 3.7"

What are the options to handling the long cartridges? Blind magazines, BDL type?, Detachable magazine?

I realize that I have posted many questions, but I think I am narrowing down on my options. I hope.

Thanks for any help and wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving.

- Jason

Thanks Bobs -

The budget depends on the value for the buck. Yes, I would consider semi-custom build, with a cost of something like between $2500-$3000 for components and labor. I haven't had a semi-custom rifle built before. Does that sound about right? This is an extension of option B, but with me not really doing any of the work.

Do you have someone in mind?

What kind of bullets are you shooting? What kind of cartridge COAL do you have?

I am open to several types of builds, the one I choose will depend on what I learn about options for stocks and magazine options.

Thanks Bobs -

The budget depends on the value for the buck. Yes, I would consider semi-custom build, with a cost of something like between $2500-$3000 for components and labor. I haven't had a semi-custom rifle built before. Does that sound about right? This is an extension of option B, but with me not really doing any of the work.

Do you have someone in mind?

What kind of bullets are you shooting? What kind of cartridge COAL do you have?

I am open to several types of builds, the one I choose will depend on what I learn about options for stocks and magazine options.

Jason, first of all, welcome to the " Brotherhood". Also, you may be on the right track with the Savage option. They are truly tough to beat in the versatility department. And the barrel options nowadays is awesome.
I used to shoot a few Savage rifles, and used to also be a member of Savage Shooters - Home. There you will find the nuts and bolts of how to, and also WHO to build your build, should you go the Savage route. As far as value for the buck, that can't be beat if you do go that route.
You asked a few questions in your earlier post on case OAL. In a remy action, your max is going to be in the 3.688 area, in a Winchester action, it will be at around 3.630. I am not sure what the OAL would be in a Savage. I used to know, but have forgot.
The STW is a truly awesome cartridge, and once you find what it wants to eat, it will give you goosebumps when you see the groups, and when you shoot a game animal, it is like lightning struck it!!!! Pretty much everyone here will tell you the same.
I personally have a few completely stock rifles, a semi custom, a full custom, and a factory custom shop rifle. They always amaze, and aren't really hard to get to shoot . You will not be disappointed .

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL! AND A TURKEY COMA TONITE!!!!:D

On my way to the deer woods tonite guys, and can't wait. Good luck to all if your season hasn't started yet. :) :cool: GOBBLE GOBBLE !

Jason - what is your budget? and would you consider a semi custom rifle on a Rem 700 action?

I built on a remington 700 action and love it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 20

On my way to the deer woods tonite guys, and can't wait. Good luck to all if your season hasn't started yet. :) :cool: GOBBLE GOBBLE !

Bob,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU TOO! :)

I hope and wish you Good Luck on your deer hunting in Maryland that is about ready to begin! gun)

I can't wait to see your posts and pictures on the results of your successful deer slaying! :D

7stw -
Thanks for the welcome. I am excited build a 7stw - it should be more popular. The Savage can be fed from the 338 LM CIP mag (3.75") so I'm sure it is good to go. I really like this option, except for the limited options for stocks. I just confirmed that this can be done for Rem 700 (CDI Precision), too.

Since my first post, Option D is now looking like the way to go. Option D is to turn my Rem 700 action into a ... some of you might want to turn away ... a barrel nut rifle. The action will be accurized and I will have two barrels (and two bolts). A 270, which is what I normally hunt with and a 7 mm STW. I like this option because I have been meaning to accurize and rebarrel my 270, I'm confortable with the barrel-nut idea (I do this with Savages already), and I will have more options for stocks, etc.

Please tell me no one is loading longer than 3.75" cartridges. I am thinking about the 180 gr Bergers, specifically.

James - Your rifle looks great. I really like the style. I might end up going with the Rem option, after all.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

I may get another chance Saturday on deer as it is my last weekend here in N.D.. I'll be bringing my 300 win and possibly the stw but the stw does need more work IMO before I really trust it in the field.