7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Everyone, have a good Thanksgiving and eat some good food. My daughter is having fun watching the parade, as she is only 2.9 years old. My 8 month old son isn't into it yet.

Bob, have fun hunting with your son, hope you have a good season and get them bloody.

Happy turkey day to everyone.

It is already a good day for me. I went out hunting this morning and set up in an old milk barn. I was watching a large group of does and thought I better get set up to shoot that direction. About five minutes after getting adjusted all of the does scattered. I looked through the binos and saw a lone deer standing under a walnut tree. After further examination I was able to put a decent rack on the buck. I spent quit a while trying to get a range in the fog and finally got a reading off the trees about 70 yds behind the buck. I dialed my rifle for 750 yds settled in and squeezed off the shot. When the scope settled back I was able to watch the buck smack the ground and wiggle a couple times. Rack up one more for the trusty stw.:D:D:D

photobucket-26536-1353600399077.jpg

It is already a good day for me. I went out hunting this morning and set up in an old milk barn. I was watching a large group of does and thought I better get set up to shoot that direction. About five minutes after getting adjusted all of the does scattered. I looked through the binos and saw a lone deer standing under a walnut tree. After further examination I was able to put a decent rack on the buck. I spent quit a while trying to get a range in the fog and finally got a reading off the trees about 70 yds behind the buck. I dialed my rifle for 750 yds settled in and squeezed off the shot. When the scope settled back I was able to watch the buck smack the ground and wiggle a couple times. Rack up one more for the trusty stw.:D:D:D

Awesome shooting and a really nice buck! Congrats!

Dean KUDOS, on the shot, and a beautiful buck to boot. That's what I call SMOKE!!! And who says Thanksgiving day is just for Turkeys?? That's a nice poke out there buddy.
I am leaving here in just about an hour, and headed for Maryland. I can't wait! You can't put a deck of cards in the back of my pickup right now, with all the gear, including my sons gear, and two tree stands, but I'll sure as hell find room for a few whitetails next week!!!! My belly is full, and my gas tank is too. Good job, nice shot, nice buck! A very happy Thanksgiving for sure.!!

Nice shooting Dean ....and thats an awesome buck

Jason - I started out with a Sako 995 (which I am in the process of selling) and wound up with a semi custom on a rem 700 action from Redhawk Rifles in Grand Junction CO. Cost would be within your budget. I am SUPER happy with it. If you want more details email me at [email protected]

Thanks Bobs -

The budget depends on the value for the buck. Yes, I would consider semi-custom build, with a cost of something like between $2500-$3000 for components and labor. I haven't had a semi-custom rifle built before. Does that sound about right? This is an extension of option B, but with me not really doing any of the work.

Do you have someone in mind?

What kind of bullets are you shooting? What kind of cartridge COAL do you have?

I am open to several types of builds, the one I choose will depend on what I learn about options for stocks and magazine options.

Jason - I started out with a Sako 995 (which I am in the process of selling) and wound up with a semi custom on a rem 700 action from Redhawk Rifles in Grand Junction CO. Cost would be within your budget. I am SUPER happy with it. If you want more details email me at [email protected]

Jason,

Redhawk Rifles is selling a REM 700 SS ALASKAN 7mm STW 26" TI CLONE 1/2 MOA with a CUSTOM DOUGLAS MATCH BARREL BLUEPRINT EXT BOX MAG right now on GunBroker. I think this would be an incredible semi-custom rifle. It is already shooting 1/2 MOA with factory ammo. Also, has a 1 in 9 twist for heavy bullets and the rifle only weights 6.9 pounds. Plus the rifle has a Wyatt's internal extended magazine box to handle cartridges up to 3.825" in overall length to allow reloading of Berger bullets. For $2,095 plus $30 for shipping it is even below your budget of $2,500-$3,000. Then you could get a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 scope and still be within your budget of $3,000. I think you would be extremely pleased with that rifle/scope set-up for a lifetime.

Here's the link:

REM 700 SS ALASKAN 7mm STW 26" TI CLONE 1/2 MOA : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

The rifle I got from Redhawk is the same spec as the one now listed on gunbroker.com except mine does not have the Wyatts box. One of the main reasons I decided to go with it was the light weight as I am first & foremost a hunter and I like to walk a lot. I put a Leupold VXIII 4.5X14 on it in Talley ultralight 1 piece ring/bases to keep the weight as low as possible. It now weighs 8.2 lbs ready to hunt. As soon as I got it I had an opportunity to go shooting but did not have time to make up any handloads so I took 2 boxes of factory ammo. 160 Nosler AB & 140 Rem corelokt. Both shot ragged 1 hole (3 shot) groups at 100 yds. I was astounded. Have not had a chance to get it out to the range since (busy hunting), but I can't wait.

Well, I just returned from my annual white-tail hunt on our property on Manitoulin Island, Ontario. I decided to carry my STW this year as I have yet to shoot a deer with it, and I wanted to test the 145gr Barnes LRX out on deer. I did shoot a deer using the same bullet in my 280 a couple of weeks ago, it worked flawlessly. It was however a neck shot, so collateral damage wasn't really a worry.

Our property layout doesn't really give any chance for a really long shot, it is all bush with the exception of shooting lanes. There is a few that offer 350-400 yard shots but that is max. We hunted for 2 and a half days for big bucks then switched to meat hunters as we were only staying for 3 days. A 2.5 year old buck presented me an opportunity at a roughly 100 yards. He was behind a downed tree, the only shot he offered was through a very small opening in the branches which would be a heart shot. So I took it.
Well it didn't drop him in his tracks, he managed to keep on his feet for about 30 yards where he piled up. The blood trail was great, very easy to follow.
IMG_0294.jpg

When I field dress him, the bullet went straight through the heart, and pretty well blew the top clean off it. The lungs were completely destroyed. I didn't get photos of that, but here is a few from when I skinned it.
IMG_0302.jpg

This is the exit side. The bullet blew a 2" hole clear through the chest cavity and through the bottom of the shoulder shown there. I was really impressed with the lack of meat damage. There was a lot of bloodshot under the hide, but really not much at all in the meat.
IMG_0308.jpg

This is the entrance side. There was a small pencil hole into the meat of the entrance shoulder, before it reached the ribs, it making a 2" hole.

At 100 yards the impact velocity was up in the 3200 fps range, I was fearing much worse collateral meat damage. The LRX worked perfectly in my opinion.

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Can someone tell me estimated barrel life for the stw? I hear it eats barrels for breakfast:)
The rifle is a sako 75 with original barrel.