7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I'm in the process of getting a bow, a psc I believe, kinda lookin forward to playing with it in the back yard when I'm bored. Like going long and fast and short and sweet. Archery could bring more people back to the hunting world. Were a dying breed or better said, one that is being driven to extinction from the fast food chains and Big Brother.

Nice article, I read most anything Lane writes, he's a real maverick, the stw concept may be the biggest neck down technique the brass makers forgot about. It goes to show just how much can be done with what is already available to us. The 8mm rem mag case has a great deal of powder capacity. yet able to handle the pressure. I kinda wonder why brass makers don't just make the case without the belt. Anyone know that. I suppose I don't really understand why a case has a belt?

I'm in the process of getting a bow, a psc I believe, kinda lookin forward to playing with it in the back yard when I'm bored. Like going long and fast and short and sweet. Archery could bring more people back to the hunting world. Were a dying breed or better said, one that is being driven to extinction from the fast food chains and Big Brother.

Nice article, I read most anything Lane writes, he's a real maverick, the stw concept may be the biggest neck down technique the brass makers forgot about. It goes to show just how much can be done with what is already available to us. The 8mm rem mag case has a great deal of powder capacity. yet able to handle the pressure. I kinda wonder why brass makers don't just make the case without the belt. Anyone know that. I suppose I don't really understand why a case has a belt?

I shoot a PSE lh bow if I get a chance. They are a hoot and will get you to 60- 100 yards if you work at it enough. I don't work at it enough.

As far as the belt, it is a hold-over type relic from the 375 h@h's predicessor, the 375 veloplex, if memory serves me. In any case, they designed the brass and used it for the 375 and 300 h@h. U.S. interests simply didn't bother to change what already worked when they modded the casing for their calibers. And don't forget the oldest domestic 30 cal mag that's still used is actually an improved round; the 300 wby is an improved 300 h@h and h@h ammo will still work fine in a roy 60 years later. Same for the 375 roy and 375 h@h (not the 378 though).

Baldhunter, thanks for the link. Can't remember if I have read that article before.

It does confirm my comment about the early Rem. factory load being faster than the Rem. catalog numbers; don't think I have seen that in any other articles.

Jim

Roadhunter - does that scope have a side focus paralax adjustment knob?

Yes Bobs, the scope is a 30mm with side focus paralex adjustment. I have three of them on different rifles and love them for the money.

I also noticed my typos on my original post, (it's a Shrewd break, Cerekote finish, O.A.L. is 3.895"

RH

These charts are from Shooting Times Feb. 1996.The rifle used was a Browning A-Bolt with a 24" barrel.

7STWLOADS014.jpg

The bullet used for this test chart was a Sierra 140gr.

7STWLOADS012.jpg
Thanks! I just bought a T/C TCR-83 and a 7mm mag barrel for it.The 23" barrel is close enough to this data it gives me a place to start developement.I'll have the it rechambered and use Lanes specks for the throat and now I won't have to desturb my 300 RUM.I missed an action on a rechambered TCR-83 barrel that sold for around $160.If anyone knows anyone who is a fan of these old double set trigger europian style guns and has an extra 7mm barrel to trade for the stock 30-06 barrel(no welded monoblock!Just pins.)I'd like to keep this tack driver 7mm mag as is.

Here is an article Layne Simpson did for Rifle Shooter

The 7mm STW Story - RifleShooter

Well, there you have it!! When I read that story many years ago, I instantly became hooked. That was the beginning of all the madness for me. I have that story in the original magazine form, and also, I have it on a thumb nail on my wifes I-Pad. I read it once in while, and it still gives me goosebumps. The center rifle in the picture that shows three rifle, is the exact rifle I bought this past spring.( Winchester Custom Sharpshooter). Those other two are awesome. Great article. It's one of those that you hang onto for future reads.

EDIT. That isn't the original article that I read years ago after all. The one I read was long before the 7 RUM. The one I have is just shortly after it became a " legitimate " round. This on is similar though. The one I have is from Shooting Times magazine.

Last edited:
I got interested in the 7stw when the data came out with rem chambering it that put energy at 300 win levels with a lot better trajectory. I already knew the 300 win was a hammer, and now I shoot both. I still love my 300win, as it can launch a 165 hornady at 3280 fps with a book dose of rl22 and will put ten in an inch at 100 as fast as you can pull the trigger. I've killed nearly 20 deer with my browning 300 since I've owned it.
My father has actually done a lot more hunting with his stw and killed a slew of stuff with it, all using rl22 and a 140 sierra. I've got a bit of catching up to do now that I have a lh rifle that doesn't weigh a ton. I still liked the sendero though, even though it needed a rope so you could drag it behind you.
I used my sendero to put others to shame at the bench. Many a shooter has packed up to lick his wounds after he saw what the stw was shooting like. I didn't try, it just shot very well no matter the condition. Three stacked sunshades on the scope covering most of the barrel from mirage didn't hurt, either....

Last edited:
Below is a link to another article from Shooting Times written last year celebrating the 20 year Birthday of the 7mm STW:

7mm Shooting Times Westerner Celebrates 20th Birthday

Gamehawker, thanks a bunch for that article. I did not have that one, but the magazine in the picture is the original one that I was talking about in the above thread. Just like Rick Jamison, Layne is also very scientific in his methodology when he is developing a load, and also holds no punches when he comments about it either.nice article, and again, thanks for forwarding it.

etisll40 - If you are going to try out some bows I highly recommend trying out a Bowtech Insanity. I bowhunt also and like my STW my Insanity shoots flat and hits hard!! Hopefully have some elk pics to prove it after my elk hunt in erarly September.gun)

Hi guys,Thanks for the thread
Mi gun is:
-Rem.700-7STW
-Hart 24"#5 Fluted, 1/12 twist + break
-Stock McMillan+bipod
-Scope S&B 4-16x50 Varmint
-Trigger Jewell (2 pound)
-pet load 140 AB,80.5 gr.MRP,215LMR,0.02 jump
-+Leica 1600CRF+Kestrel 2500

No pounch paper,only field trial with clean cold barrel or hunt.

Question: what do you think for slow twist vs high twist to Pierce the wind.

Thanks for the replies.gnas

GNAS, your twist rate is higher than I have read for most 7 stw barrels, is that the way you ordered it? Are you only shooting 140's and under? How's that S&B scope?