7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

FIRE306, Welcome aboard, and welcome to the addiction to the 7 STW. You are in good company here. We have some long shooters, and longtime shooters of this round.questions and comments are always welcome, and lots of folks here willing to help out if need be. Dont be afraid to ask.
As far as your powder choices that you mentioned, I would only be a bit nervous of the H4350 loads. That powder is bit fast, and your load density is low. As my " partner in crime" stated, 22, 25' and H1000 are better suited. Anyway, enjoy, and again, welcome aboard.gun)

FIRE306, Welcome aboard, and welcome to the addiction to the 7 STW. You are in good company here. We have some long shooters, and longtime shooters of this round.questions and comments are always welcome, and lots of folks here willing to help out if need be. Dont be afraid to ask.
As far as your powder choices that you mentioned, I would only be a bit nervous of the H4350 loads. That powder is bit fast, and your load density is low. As my " partner in crime" stated, 22, 25' and H1000 are better suited. Anyway, enjoy, and again, welcome aboard.gun)

I am doubtful I will stick with the 4350 load, it was the result of the faulty readings on the chrony that I started experimenting with loads a bit "out of the box". I have some retumbo and H1000 stuff loaded up now, hopefully I will get a chance to try them out on Monday. I have RL 22 and 25, but I am trying to stick to the Hodgdon Extreme powders for their temperature stability. I intend to use this rifle moose hunting, and there can be huge temp variances in moose season here in Ontario. It can go from below freezing to 30C (90F) overnight.
This is a hunting gun, but as with all my rifles, I like to build/find a load that shoots ragged hole groups. It gives you great confidence in your hunting rigs, when you know they shoot like match rifles.

I am doubtful I will stick with the 4350 load, it was the result of the faulty readings on the chrony that I started experimenting with loads a bit "out of the box". I have some retumbo and H1000 stuff loaded up now, hopefully I will get a chance to try them out on Monday. I have RL 22 and 25, but I am trying to stick to the Hodgdon Extreme powders for their temperature stability. I intend to use this rifle moose hunting, and there can be huge temp variances in moose season here in Ontario. It can go from below freezing to 30C (90F) overnight.
This is a hunting gun, but as with all my rifles, I like to build/find a load that shoots ragged hole groups. It gives you great confidence in your hunting rigs, when you know they shoot like match rifles.
Good call on the Retumbo and H1000 for what your doing with it and where your at,Like I said both are great,but I lean towards the H1000

Important note to follow, may be the perfect bullet for the STW, meaning the perfect caliber with the best bullet. I read it here. I READ THIS HERE TODAY.

I am at the SCI show and am standing next to Bob Beck from EOL as I write this post. We just received the design from Bryan Litz for the new Berger 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting bullet.

It has an estimated averaged G1 BC of .794 and a G7 BC of .406. For those who understand such things this bullet has a G7 form factor of .850. For those who don't know what that means it means that this bullet is the slickest (in terms of velocity retention) on the planet.

Bryan has relayed that this bullet at an estimated 1.637" long will need at least a 1:8.5" twist to be stabilized. Rumors of this bullet (started by your's truly) started several people asking the question of what twist will be required. This is the reason for me starting this thread. So those who are interested in trying this bullet can start working on getting barrels. By the time you'd be able to get one we should have this bullet available.

Regards,
Eric

I guess the key to this will be the twist rate in the barrel. Should give us plenty of time to watch how it develops while saving for another barrel. We need those anyway as we have to shoot to stay capable for hunting anyway. Nothing wrong with having 2 barrels for your STW anyway. There not that hard to change. Get the rest of your gun the way you want it. Keep your 7STW.

I'm going to finish off my factory 700 with a new barrel and blueprinted action in a cpl months. How will an 8.5 affect a lighter bullet, say in the 140 gr Barnes LRX range?

Wapiti. I don't know, maybe post question in that thread I got this from. I'm wondering too. I want to be able to shoot various loads, 140 and 150 grain are awesome for most hunting. If I can't shoot them it's better for me to just get another barrel, reamed and head spaced, with the lower twist rate, maybe just to have. The 9 is basically a do all. That's probably the answer.

I went out yesterday to see if I could finalize a load for hunting this year. Based on what I have seen the last few times, it appears this factory pencil barrel likes to have 12-14 shots thru it and it settles down, or, it's a strange coincidence that the last four out of every 16-20 shot day seem to always be the best groups. I'm going to run a dry patch thru it and do nothing else, then match this load and see if it repeats. If it does, it's going hunting. I normally clean real well after each day of shooting.

Attachments

• 2012-08-05.jpg
    2012-08-05.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I know its each to his own,and some rifles like certain powder and a particular bullet better than others.Between my son and I we have only three 7stw's The first is a custom shop run from remington in 98 I think.The one I shoot now is the Boone & Crockett Edition 7rm I had re-chambered to the STW.The one my son shoots is a custom trued rem action HS Precision stock and a 29" Pac-Nor barrel.The original one is the only one without a muzzle brake.We get the best performance with IMR 7828ssc,used rl22,rl25,h-1000,vv165,vv170,aa8700when it was available.I found the rl22 and 25 to be temp sensitive.The 8700 was a very very accurate loading but lost some velocity.JMO but the IMR 7828ssc is the best powder for the 7 STW ............

Good question Sendero72,we hunt over bean fields with ours.The only paper punching we do is to set,or check the zero of the scope,thats usually at 200yds.Then MPBR is 325 we adjust from there as to how far the deer is.Some of the paper punchers may be able to answer it for you............

Great news everyone, just got my build into shooting condition
Now just have to get some loads made to test her and then she's off to get coated