7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Just curious... Have any of you guys played around with the 120 TTSX in the STW?

What kind of velocities are you getting and what has on game performance been like?

Well guys, After having a " issue" with some federal brass this past weekend, I decided to scrap it, and ran into to some Remington 8 mm Mag ammo, for a pretty cheap price. Long story short, I split two of them, while resizing. This was ammo that was made in the late nineties. What a truly impressive round . I dumped the powder, and burned it off. I'm pretty sure it is / was 7828. The gun shop has two more boxes, that I think I am going to pick up. While I was pulling these bullets, I truly wondered why this bullet didn't catch on. I have read about its inherent accuracy, and killing power. Big Bears beware!!!!
Anyhow, this all stemmed from having a piece of brass rupture in the chamber. It did not separate, but it did let go just above the belt. I had been neck sizing, but then, full length resized at the last loading. ( it was starting to get tight). I am not a fan of Federal brass in this rifle, or this caliber in general. It seems to be TOO soft. Primer pockets really soft. Brass life was not good. Maybe it was just that box. It was factory ammo, that I fired,fire formed, and reloaded as usual. The factory load seemed to be hot, due to primers REALLY flat when fired. Maybe I should have pulled the bullets, when I first noticed that.
The piece of brass that failed , was my first ever. I have NEVER had a split, rupture, or blown pocket. It did not shoot gases out of the receiver, it all went forward. I could tell that because of the dents in the FRONT shoulder area. Subsequent rounds after that fired perfectly well, and accurate too, I might add. But that truly scared the $&@/ out of me. I guess the old saying goes, there is a first time for everything! And hopefully the last too!!!! Take care to all.

Well guys, After having a " issue" with some federal brass this past weekend, I decided to scrap it, and ran into to some Remington 8 mm Mag ammo, for a pretty cheap price. Long story short, I split two of them, while resizing. This was ammo that was made in the late nineties. What a truly impressive round . I dumped the powder, and burned it off. I'm pretty sure it is / was 7828. The gun shop has two more boxes, that I think I am going to pick up. While I was pulling these bullets, I truly wondered why this bullet didn't catch on. I have read about its inherent accuracy, and killing power. Big Bears beware!!!!
Anyhow, this all stemmed from having a piece of brass rupture in the chamber. It did not separate, but it did let go just above the belt. I had been neck sizing, but then, full length resized at the last loading. ( it was starting to get tight). I am not a fan of Federal brass in this rifle, or this caliber in general. It seems to be TOO soft. Primer pockets really soft. Brass life was not good. Maybe it was just that box. It was factory ammo, that I fired,fire formed, and reloaded as usual. The factory load seemed to be hot, due to primers REALLY flat when fired. Maybe I should have pulled the bullets, when I first noticed that.
The piece of brass that failed , was my first ever. I have NEVER had a split, rupture, or blown pocket. It did not shoot gases out of the receiver, it all went forward. I could tell that because of the dents in the FRONT shoulder area. Subsequent rounds after that fired perfectly well, and accurate too, I might add. But that truly scared the $&@/ out of me. I guess the old saying goes, there is a first time for everything! And hopefully the last too!!!! Take care to all.
Been there and done that........I still have the T-Shirt:D

Just curious... Have any of you guys played around with the 120 TTSX in the STW?

What kind of velocities are you getting and what has on game performance been like?

Dude, that thing would absolutely scream. I have never shot them in a STW, but I know someone who shoots them in a seven Mag. ( deer lightening). Little or no recoil to mention. As far as in a STW, WOW, smokin!!!!

Dude, that thing would absolutely scream. I have never shot them in a STW, but I know someone who shoots them in a seven Mag. ( deer lightening). Little or no recoil to mention. As far as in a STW, WOW, smokin!!!!

Looking over some of the Barnes reloading data, it looks like 3700 fps should be attainable if not being able to approach 3800 fps.

I have shot several deer with my .300 Win Mag using the 130 gr TTSX at alittle over 3500 fps and it really hammers the deer. That is what got me thinking of the 120 TTSX in the STW. Can't drive em too fast!

3830+- a few with the TTSX 120's with the same charge of powder my 130 GS Customs were just a tad faster.But they are bore riders and you do gain fps with less pressure.............. If I knew how to post a video of the shots thru the chrony I would.As I have been all but called a liar on this one.........

Is there any particular reason to choose the TTSX over the TSX. I feel like trying one of them soon.

With the TTSX bullets they are supposed to expand faster due to the tip and the BCs are also better.

Plus the TTSXs just look cooler with the Blue Tip. Haha

Looking over some of the Barnes reloading data, it looks like 3700 fps should be attainable if not being able to approach 3800 fps.

I have shot several deer with my .300 Win Mag using the 130 gr TTSX at alittle over 3500 fps and it really hammers the deer. That is what got me thinking of the 120 TTSX in the STW. Can't drive em too fast!
in real life 3600-3700 is doing rather well with a 120 in the 7stw. I ran 100 sierra 120's through my old one with 7828. I liked the 140's with rl22, 7828, or rl25 a whole bunch more, the load was more uniform and generally shot better with any of the three.

in real life 3600-3700 is doing rather well with a 120 in the 7stw. I ran 100 sierra 120's through my old one with 7828. I liked the 140's with rl22, 7828, or rl25 a whole bunch more, the load was more uniform and generally shot better with any of the three.
I,ll second Lefty on that and as far as that goes "They Say" that the 168gr is the optimum bullet for the STW....Speed is cool but a 160gr nosler partition is devastating no matter how fast its going

Well guys this will serve as my virgin post to LRH and the stw crew as well, but i've got one on the way tomorrow from Red Hawk Rifles. :D I reside in TN and really haven't had the need for such a large round until i drew both a mule deer & antelope tag for WY this year.

The gun is a basic 700 frame 26" 1:9.25 twist put in a B&C stock with just a little tlc (trigger / floatjob) and sent to me. I'm looking to put a 4-16 vortex viper hs on it, would that be a good choice?

Also do you guys have any load reciepes you would rec or want to share? Keep in mind i'm leaning more towards something that will buck the high crosswinds i may face out there 150gr+. Thanks in advance and GOD BLESS. J R

Last edited:
I shoot the 120 TTSX in my STW for everything up to the size of Mule Deer. The load is 82.0 grains of IMR 4831 Federal 215 primer and Speer brass overall lenght of 3.60'' with an average chronographed MV average right at 3790 fps.
The old model 70 stainless was purchased new in 1994 as a 7mag and rechambered before I ever fired a shot. The throat is showing considerable wear but it has seen lots of rounds . It still shoots very well so I'll leave it alone. I've killed numerous coyotes, beavers, whitetail, several large mule deer and a couple of black bears with the 120 ttsx in my STW.

Recent Posts