7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Thanks 7STW, I see most are using IMR 7828 which I had understood as Temp
sensitive ? And I see RE-22 and 25 which I also understood as barrel burners. So has anyone used Retumbo with success and has anyone used Superperformance or is this too fast. It really meters well and was kind of hoping but just may be to fast for this case.

sensitive ? And I see RE-22 and 25 which I also understood as barrel burners. So has anyone used Retumbo with success and has anyone used Superperformance or is this too fast. It really meters well and was kind of hoping but just may be to fast for this case.
I've had good barrel life with rl25. I tried other stuff for 4-500 rounds then went to 140's with rl25 for the last 1000 rounds with my sendero, and it was still shooting .4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards, albeit with a rather shallow origin when I traded it. I dang near wish I'd kept that rifle, but that would have meant no lefty 7stw. You can't have every toy in the world I guess.

Last edited:
The Superfomance Is gonna be a little to fast I do believe and I have seen some good shooting loads with Retumbo And H-1000

I have always had MY best luck with RL22, and 7828. I have been using RL25 of recent, and have been impressed so far. I have dabbled with H1000 occasionally also. I did try Retumbo last winter, but my ES, and SD were to widespread, and velocity wasn't really where I wanted to be. H1000 is a good choice to try. It does have the temp non - sensitivity thing going for it. As far as the Superformance, that stuff is a little to fast, even with light bullets. Seeing the temps are what they are, at this point I would probably opt for the H- 1000. In my notes, however, I found that the h1000 works better with the heavier bullets, than the lighter ones. Just my own observation.

The biggest problem I've seen with h1000 is you often hit the wall pressure wise before you get good speed out of it in the 7stw. With a larger bore and heavier bullets, it can be impressive, but it is not really geared toward delivering high speed. I like it a lot with 190's in the 300win(dang I miss my rem lh 300win that shot them well), but I couldn't even get 3300 fps with a 140 with it in the 7stw.
I've been stuck on rl25 for quite a while in the stw. rl22 is alright, but it gets warm pressures before you run out of case capacity. I want rl33 so I can step up another notch without crowding the dang stw's pressure top end. I've worked with rl50 a bit, but it really is to bulky for the 7stw. It(rl50) does a fair job of pitching the 171 Barnes, but I went with rl25 because I don't need to order it.

Well, I got out with the stw today and put some of the 171 barnes matchburners down range again with rl25. The things were doing about an inch at 100yd, not horrible, but not what they did weeks ago either. Then I noticed something weird; one just dove out 4 inches to the right and two inches low, then the next two fell back into the group. Am I having bullet jacket issues?? I've never seen this with hunting bullets. They shoot .3" at 100 for 3 when it's cool out. It's not an aiming thing as I'm using a elite 4200 32x scope and good proven bags.

Hey, I think I have asked ths before but Im gonna do it again ......Has anyone shot the Millet Long Range Series scope's? .......I dont know why but But Im really wanting to try one I think? ..... I really like the mil mil set up and have read some good reviews about them, 7STW say's he knows someone that has one and really likes it ...........I dont know Im a Leupold man but I have several other less expesive scopes and and one really cheap scope that is really good,I know you get what you pay for so Im already secnd guessing myself.........Anyway just thought I'd ask

Hey, I think I have asked ths before but Im gonna do it again ......Has anyone shot the Millet Long Range Series scope's? .......I dont know why but But Im really wanting to try one I think? ..... I really like the mil mil set up and have read some good reviews about them, 7STW say's he knows someone that has one and really likes it ...........I dont know Im a Leupold man but I have several other less expesive scopes and and one really cheap scope that is really good,I know you get what you pay for so Im already secnd guessing myself.........Anyway just thought I'd ask

Bean, I actually know two people that own and, shoot with them. Both are the Buck Gold series. I think they are 8.5-25 x 56. No complaints from either. One is on a 338 Lapua, and one is on a 7 mag. Natchez, carries them, but they are usually out of stock. Put yourself on the stand by list, they will contact you when they are in stock, if they are out when you order. I'd go for it. I almost bought one least summer my self.

I don't have the Long Range Scope but do have three of the Millett 30mm tube scopes. Besides being heavy (as the big scopes tend to be) they seem to be OK in good light.

I have a 6-25 (or so) x56mm on two rifles and they have been dependable. When comparing their glass to Leupold or Nikon, in failing light, the Milletts aren't as good as the others; certainly won't compare to the European scopes.

Well, I got out with the stw today and put some of the 171 barnes matchburners down range again with rl25. The things were doing about an inch at 100yd, not horrible, but not what they did weeks ago either. Then I noticed something weird; one just dove out 4 inches to the right and two inches low, then the next two fell back into the group. Am I having bullet jacket issues?? I've never seen this with hunting bullets. They shoot .3" at 100 for 3 when it's cool out. It's not an aiming thing as I'm using a elite 4200 32x scope and good proven bags.
Anyone notice the issue I described with match bullets; one diving out of the group out of the blue every half-dozen shots????
I'd like to correct this, or I'll have to scrap the load, as I'm not hunting this thing hoping that it won't be the next shot that is errant. Any ideas??

I don't have the Long Range Scope but do have three of the Millett 30mm tube scopes. Besides being heavy (as the big scopes tend to be) they seem to be OK in good light.

I have a 6-25 (or so) x56mm on two rifles and they have been dependable. When comparing their glass to Leupold or Nikon, in failing light, the Milletts aren't as good as the others; certainly won't compare to the European scopes.
Thanks for the info Jim

Anyone notice the issue I described with match bullets; one diving out of the group out of the blue every half-dozen shots????
I'd like to correct this, or I'll have to scrap the load, as I'm not hunting this thing hoping that it won't be the next shot that is errant. Any ideas??
Lefty, was it just a one time thing or has it done it again? I have had that happen to me and it was an error in my powder measuring, I have since corrected that problem,Im not saying thats whats happend to you but thats what I would lean towards if it was me

Lefty, was it just a one time thing or has it done it again? I have had that happen to me and it was an error in my powder measuring, I have since corrected that problem,Im not saying thats whats happend to you but thats what I would lean towards if it was me
I have had it happen a couple of times when it's warm out( different days), with both new and once fired brass. These charges were tossed then weighed to 75.0 grain in clean, uniform rem brass with 215's. loaded to 3.685". They are about .1" from the lands but that's it for mag length. They shot little bug hole groups when it was a bit cooler out, say 70 or so, on a couple of days though.
I'm wondering if the jackets aren't a bit thin like some of the bergers, but I haven't played that game so I don't know for sure.

I have had it happen a couple of times when it's warm out( different days), with both new and once fired brass. These charges were tossed then weighed to 75.0 grain in clean, uniform rem brass with 215's. loaded to 3.685". They are about .1" from the lands but that's it for mag length. They shot little bug hole groups when it was a bit cooler out, say 70 or so, on a couple of days though.
I'm wondering if the jackets aren't a bit thin like some of the bergers, but I haven't played that game so I don't know for sure.
Lefty, With what your saying Im gonna have to say its the Reloader Powder curse,Now dont get me wrong I really like the RL powders but the heat effects them so much that I am gonna change the loads that I am using them in to something else altogether, What Im getting at is my Laredo shoots .358 groups when its below 80 degees.....anything above that and it just goes south,The hotter it is the worse it gets and i have a varmit round that I shoot RL22 in and it does the same thing yours is doing in the heat ........Back your powder off a half a grain or so and shoot a series and see what it does, If I was a betting man I'd say thats whats going on