7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hey guys, as a few of you know, I am building another STW. I went to my gun shop today, to pay some more toward the donor rifle. My balance is less then $100 bucks now. Anyway, I asked the guy in the gunsmithing area about bottom metal for a long action BDL type. He pulls out this silver/ grey bottom set up, that came off of a 40x, in 6.5-284. He put on a custom magazine, and the bottom metal was the take off. I asked him what did he want for it, he said $25.00. I said SOLD. It is mint, no scratches, GREAT price. This one is different from any type I have seen before. It is similar to a savages center feed magazine. The follower plate is flat, and the top edges rolled inward to trap the round from popping out. It is presently set for the diameter of the 6.5 -284, which is fatter then the stw. It works well when I put a 300 ultra mag case into it. I think I can use the follower plate and spring from the ADL set up that the donor gun has. Just put the spring into the floor plate, and leave the box attached to the receiver. I'll figure out something, but at least I have some pieces to work with.
I know of some guys that have paid WAY more than what I paid for the bottom metal. That's one more thing off the list, and closer to being done. I also ordered three sets of Parrish pillars from Brownells. Two sets are for the two 700 LSS's that I have, and the thirds for the stock that I have decided on. Initially I am going to use one of the HS stocks that I have from the sendero, but in the end, I am going to get a Bobby Hart stock from Stockys. I decided to get the " Tawny Brown" color. I will pillar bed and glass bed, ( JB Weld) the lug and two inches forward. This thing is going to be sweet. ( now that I have thought about how I want it to be). Sorry about the long read, just getting excited now. Take care all!!!!

Hey guys, as a few of you know, I am building another STW. I went to my gun shop today, to pay some more toward the donor rifle. My balance is less then $100 bucks now. Anyway, I asked the guy in the gunsmithing area about bottom metal for a long action BDL type. He pulls out this silver/ grey bottom set up, that came off of a 40x, in 6.5-284. He put on a custom magazine, and the bottom metal was the take off. I asked him what did he want for it, he said $25.00. I said SOLD. It is mint, no scratches, GREAT price. This one is different from any type I have seen before. It is similar to a savages center feed magazine. The follower plate is flat, and the top edges rolled inward to trap the round from popping out. It is presently set for the diameter of the 6.5 -284, which is fatter then the stw. It works well when I put a 300 ultra mag case into it. I think I can use the follower plate and spring from the ADL set up that the donor gun has. Just put the spring into the floor plate, and leave the box attached to the receiver. I'll figure out something, but at least I have some pieces to work with.
I know of some guys that have paid WAY more than what I paid for the bottom metal. That's one more thing off the list, and closer to being done. I also ordered three sets of Parrish pillars from Brownells. Two sets are for the two 700 LSS's that I have, and the thirds for the stock that I have decided on. Initially I am going to use one of the HS stocks that I have from the sendero, but in the end, I am going to get a Bobby Hart stock from Stockys. I decided to get the " Tawny Brown" color. I will pillar bed and glass bed, ( JB Weld) the lug and two inches forward. This thing is going to be sweet. ( now that I have thought about how I want it to be). Sorry about the long read, just getting excited now. Take care all!!!!

You really lucked out on that bottom metal.

It sounds like it is going to be an awesome rifle! :)

I'm really jealous of your gunsmithing savie. How did you learn to do this stuff? I'd like to start learning. At least the simple stuff.

Keep us posted about how you are doing it too, maybe some pics if you have them.

7stw, Good call on the Bobby Hart stock.....Which model did you get? As for the bottom metal.....Dude you scored big,Cant wait to see it when its done

I'm with Ed, I would love to know what you have forgotten. Keep posting and educating us. If I could, I would hang out at my smith's shop and soak it in. I will definitely be sure to ask you questions in the future and can't wait to see your build when it is done and how it shoots:D
FE

It shot just under an inch at 100yds. I have no plans on using Sierras any more, nor do I want to buy any more IMR7828 if I don't have to.

Dan, ive had good luck wit 7828. In my 700 with a 24" barrel it produced the best velocity and accuracy with the 162s.

I havent had the special turret cut yet because everytime i read this forum, i want to try something new! Ive just used it with the minute lines.

Butter bean, I have not bought the stock yet, but I have definitely decided that the one that the one that I want is the Bobby Hart " LRT". this one does not come with the block, but I am going to pillar bed it,and glass the lug area. The barrel will float obviously. I just like the feel of wood. I have so many rifles in synthetic, that are nice, and stable, but this is platform that I can make JUST as stable, and still be great looking. Go to Stockys website and look it up. It can be had for less than $200. The one with the bedding block is quite more.( but worth it I'm sure). The company that makes those stocks is the same company that made the laminates for Remington when they had the varmint laminated series. Very solid, well built. All hard wood. Some guys use birch and maple, these are mostly oak and walnut. The resin is really what makes it so heavy, and solid.
Yeah, that bottom metal IS a good score. I am going to fool around with it, and see if I can get it to work with the stw cartridge. It is a little wide now, but I think I can roll the outer edges inward to capture the cartridge until the bolt pushes it forward. I will keep you all posted, and somehow or another, I will figure out how to do some kind of pictures. My daughters a whiz when it comes to that sort a stuff. Not me! Don't want a be either,!!! Ha HA! Take care to all!

I tried a cpl more loads. I suck, my loads suck, the gun sucks, or maybe all three.
Off a bag this time. 2 shot ends, 2 ends per position. Barrel never got past luke warm.
Looking back at my targets I believe the gun I sent back because of the massive copper fouling was far and away a better shooter than this one.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 14
Well I went to the rifle range yesterday to see how my two Senderos would do. I remounted the scope in the first Sendero (I got this from Montana) because I moved the vortex bubble level from inside the rings to outside the rings so I had to sight in both of them. I took my Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter with me to help. I set-up the chrony on the tripod and was shooting at the 50 yard target first. I took two shots with the new Sendero (the one from California-I bought it on tis website "Mint condition") and put the Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter on the end of the barrel to help the reticles to line it up) You could hardly see it through the scope because it was very sunny. Well I got too much in a hurry because I forgot to remove theZero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter from the end of the barrel and took another shot. Well after the shot I knew immediately screwed up because the Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter was disintegrated and the bullet hit my chrono and destroyed the front sensor. Well I was really mad at myself but I thought "what the hell" I am here so I kept on shooting and sighted the Senderos. I have already talked to Shooting Chrony and I will send the Chrony back to the them next week to get it repaired. I will not replace the Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter because I did not like it very well anyways.

I would HIGHLY NOT recommend anybody getting Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter!

I finally got both sighted in at 100 yards and had 4 bullets left for each of the Senderos to see what groupings I was getting.

The first target picture is the "Montana Sendero" with four 140 Accubond, 82 grain H1000, COL 3.675 and that is the result of the 4 shot group.

The second target is with the "California Mint Sendero" with four 162 AMAX, 76 grain H1000, COL 3.675 and that was the result of the 4 shot group. The wind was gusting pretty good (10-15 mph) from my left side to my right side when I shot this grouping so I think it affected this grouping.

Since the Chrony was damaged I could not get any readings for velocity but I am pretty pleased with both groupings and rifles.

I am going to take them up to a gunsmith close to York, Pennsylvania in a couple of weeks to have jewell triggers on both and have the Montana Sendero skim bedded. The California "Mint" Sendero already has been skim bedded and action blueprinted.

Attachments

• Sendero 7mm STW (Montana)_140 AC_82 H1000_COL 3-675_ 4 shot group.jpg
    Sendero 7mm STW (Montana)_140 AC_82 H1000_COL 3-675_ 4 shot group.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Sendero 7mm STW (Calif)_162 AMAX_76 H1000_COL 3-675_ 4 shot group.jpg
    Sendero 7mm STW (Calif)_162 AMAX_76 H1000_COL 3-675_ 4 shot group.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Her's a few pictures of my twin Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STWs.

The back Sendero 7mm STW is the one I bought on this website from California "Mint"

The front Sendero 7mm STW is the one I bought from an estate sale from Bozeman, Montana

Attachments

• Twin Senderos 7mm STW_1.jpg
    Twin Senderos 7mm STW_1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Twin Senderos 7mm STW_2.jpg
    Twin Senderos 7mm STW_2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Twin Senderos 7mm STW_3.jpg
    Twin Senderos 7mm STW_3.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 18
Gamehawker, those are some FINE looking Hot rods, and some **** nice targets. Nothing wrong with either one. That 140 targEt is smokin' sick accurate. Those vortex scopes look Killeen on those rigs. Those two babies are diamonds in the not so rough. You aredefinetly on your way, and you haven't got far to go if any. Try RL 22 with those a maxes, and I'll bet they will tighten right up.
Very nice stuff and I happy for ya. It is nice when a plan comes together, and my friend, they have really came together for you! Take care and enjoy. Awesome, that's all I can say.gun)

P/ S, I see those EGW bases there too. I love them., and sorry about the chrono. That sucks, and ICANN imagine you were some upset when that happened. ( I would not have been able to shoot as well as you did, if that had happened to me)

Gamehawker, those are some FINE looking Hot rods, and some **** nice targets. Nothing wrong with either one. That 140 targEt is smokin' sick accurate. Those vortex scopes look Killeen on those rigs. Those two babies are diamonds in the not so rough. You aredefinetly on your way, and you haven't got far to go if any. Try RL 22 with those a maxes, and I'll bet they will tighten right up.
Very nice stuff and I happy for ya. It is nice when a plan comes together, and my friend, they have really came together for you! Take care and enjoy. Awesome, that's all I can say.gun)

P/ S, I see those EGW bases there too. I love them., and sorry about the chrono. That sucks, and ICANN imagine you were some upset when that happened. ( I would not have been able to shoot as well as you did, if that had happened to me)

Well I was pretty upset and I am surprised I was able to shoot as well as I did too. And to top it off where the Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter was on the end of the barrel it messed up the outside crown of the barrel on the Sendero too. When I am at the gunsmith I am going to ask him to fix it. Hopefully he will be able to repair it or recrown it.

Last edited: