7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I would have to disagree. All the magnification in the world doesn't make up for super clear resolution and light gathering.

Had the VXII 6-18x40 for years and loved it till I picked up my first VXII 3.5-10x50. I've been stuck on large objectives and great glass since over any other factor.

Give me a choice between a great 10x with a 50mm obj over more power and a smaller obj and not equal quality of glass and coatings and I'll take the former every time.

I've got kills out past 1,000yds on bobcats and coyotes with my IOR Tactical 4-14x50mm and with 3 different Leupold's in the 4.514x50mm VXIII and Tactical models and while more would be nice on smaller critters they are more than adequate.

One none of us have mentioned yet either as a great alternative is the Zeiss Conquest Series which I dearly love.

I've got 2 Conquests, and they are awesome scopes! Got a 3-12x56 30mm and 6.5-20x50. They are great scopes regardless of price, but especially for the money.

I've got 2 Conquests, and they are awesome scopes! Got a 3-12x56 30mm and 6.5-20x50. They are great scopes regardless of price, but especially for the money.
I'm jealous, I've really wanted to try one of the 3-12x56's but I just don't have a rifle that "needs" one right now. Steiner makes one very similar that is amazing in low light and I'm betting your's is too considering how much better the 44's are than just about anything in a 50mm in the same class.

So...........

Who is going to be first to start a new thread in the dedicated sub-forum for 7mm STW enthusiasts?

New 7mm STW forum HERE.

I can't wait to see how many gazillion new threads you crazy guys create over the balance of this year.

Any guesses?

By the way, if you search for "7mm STW" in google this thread comes up in Google as the number 4 position on page one of results for ALL 7mm STW pages on the entire internet.

There are about 40 inbound links from other sites to this thread! Amazing.

I don't currently shoot a 7 STW but many of you know I shoot the 7 Dakota which is nearly a ballistic twin to the STW.

7STW-links.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for this Len!!! It's an honor to have our own section now!

Len, it won't let me start a new thread...Says I don't have permission to access that part of the forum.

I'm jealous, I've really wanted to try one of the 3-12x56's but I just don't have a rifle that "needs" one right now. Steiner makes one very similar that is amazing in low light and I'm betting your's is too considering how much better the 44's are than just about anything in a 50mm in the same class.
It is an awesome low-light scope. But I have 2 issues with it. 1, it's big, heavy, and bulky. And 2, the crosshairs are also big, heavy, and bulky. LOL I could deal with the size and weight of the scope, but the crosshairs are pretty dang thick. If they were thinner like the size of a my 6.5-20x50's Z-Plex reticle, then it would be alot better. I might even send it to Zeiss just for fun to see if they could put in a Z1000 or Mil-Dot reticle, and maybe some adjustable target turrets like on my 6.5-20x50. That would really juice up the scope with a Mil-Dot and exposed target turrets.

Len, still says I don't have permission...

Same with me when I click on "New Thread".

Here's what it actually says:

vBulletin Message
gamehawker, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home

Same with me when I click on "New Thread".

Here's what it actually says:

vBulletin Message
gamehawker, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home
Yeah, that's the same one (minus username) that I get...

Done

Now, in the future please contact me in another way.

I am going to unsubscribe from this awesome thread because you guys are crazy busy and I don't want to get 32,567 "new post" notification emails in my inbox. :)