7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

You are correct about the STW being a "V" action. The 75's were built in 5 action lengths, I, III, SM, IV and V. "I" being 222, 223, "II"was 260, 308 lengths cartridges, "SM" was the 270 and 300 WSM, "IV" was the 30-06 length cartridges, and "V" was the magnums or long action stuff.
The newer model 85 series Sako's they now call the action lengths, XS, S, SM, M and L. Not sure why they changed, Sako has used the I, II, IV, V method for years.
The m995 though, from what I understand is that they are all the same action length, although they were built in a normal m995 model and a magnum m995 model. The part I'm not sure of is whether or not the stocks are the same for both the magnum and regular m995's. I think the only difference is basically the bolt, and more specifically the bolt face is larger for the magnum chamberings.

If someone could clarify this for sure, I would appreciate the info.

I just sold my Sako 75, in STW. It was a great rifle, and yes the magazine length allows 3.700" OAL. I only sold the 75, because I have acquired this m995 that I spoke of earlier, that I am going to customize. The factory m995 magazine allows 3.730" OAL, and when I get the Whiskey 3 chassis, it used a AI CIP magazine, and from what I have read it allows 3.850" OAL.

Fire306, thanks for replying back. I was relatively sure about about the 75's, but not so sure on the other ones. At least I wasnt totally mis informed.
That new one of yours is going to be a beast!!

What are the prefered powders. i have a 26'' barrel, i'm thinking h-1000 to start? Gonna load 168 lrx and 168 berger's. This may be a dumb question but at what point do you lose horse power, is there a way to tell the optimum expansion of the powder vs barrel length?

Last edited:
What are the prefered powders. i have a 26'' barrel, i'm thinking h-1000 to start? Gonna load 168 lrx and 168 berger's. This may be a dumb question but at what point do you lose horse power, is there a way to tell the optimum expansion of the powder vs barrel lenght?
H-1000 is never a bad choice to start with.

It is a very slow powder so you won't get an optimal burn in the 26" barrel but you should still get adequate velocity.

The best advice is to always start with a small quantity (1lbs cans) till you fine the powder that gives you the best combination of velocity and accuracy, and then when you do buy in bulk from the same lot number.

With everything going on today the latter is even more important than it used to be because lord knows what kind of supply there will be later.

RL 22 and RL 25 seem to be the other two most preferred powders with this caliber.

Waiting on what I hope is a great deal on a Sako 75 stainless STW. Talked with owner who said 20 shots down the tube and is throwing in a few boxes of shells plus a box of brass that was shot out of gun. I have a Winchester Model 70 that I load up with Winchester WXR powder. Going to work on some of the R-22 or R-25 for the Sako with a 120 grain bullet to start. Really like reading this thread. Have learned a great deal about the STW and it's nice to see the popularity of this round. P.S. this Sako STW is for my son who is only 12. No he will not start out shooting it this year but when he is older I want this to be his go to gun for the type hunting we get to do. Rick

Waiting on what I hope is a great deal on a Sako 75 stainless STW. Talked with owner who said 20 shots down the tube and is throwing in a few boxes of shells plus a box of brass that was shot out of gun. I have a Winchester Model 70 that I load up with Winchester WXR powder. Going to work on some of the R-22 or R-25 for the Sako with a 120 grain bullet to start. Really like reading this thread. Have learned a great deal about the STW and it's nice to see the popularity of this round. P.S. this Sako STW is for my son who is only 12. No he will not start out shooting it this year but when he is older I want this to be his go to gun for the type hunting we get to do. Rick

Want to be my Dad? LOL
Your son and you will love that rifle. They do hit you in the shoulder pretty good, particularly when shooting from a bench. You son will definitely want to work his tolerance up to shooting it.
Great rifle.

Rickyb, congrats on the new STW, and to the one you have. I have been a Remmy man, for the better part of my shooting life, but I have a couple of awesome M70's in my cabinet now, including a Custom Sharpshooter. You will like the Sako that you are getting. The Sako action is strong action, and well built. The trigger in mine was very smooth, and was adjustable to a nice weight. It sounds like the one you are getting is like the one that I had. Welcome to the Brotherhood' , and questions and comments are welcome as well. lightbulb

H-1000 is never a bad choice to start with.

It is a very slow powder so you won't get an optimal burn in the 26" barrel but you should still get adequate velocity.

The best advice is to always start with a small quantity (1lbs cans) till you fine the powder that gives you the best combination of velocity and accuracy, and then when you do buy in bulk from the same lot number.

With everything going on today the latter is even more important than it used to be because lord knows what kind of supply there will be later.

RL 22 and RL 25 seem to be the other two most preferred powders with this caliber.

+1, what he said! especially the BULK part!!!!!

You might want to check snipershide site as there are a lot of sako guys there. Also, call europtic. They delt in sako's and had the trg 260 when they were available. They probably have suggestions. I'd post on snipershide though first.

Wapitibob, don't give up on it! It is talking to you, but you have to translate it. IMHO, the RL25 is too slow for the 140 bullet. I have by far had far more luck with RL22,or 7828 with 140-145-150 bullets. And oh yeah, barrels do get warm quick with 22, especially this time of year. If I had to seltle on one powder, it would probably be RL22. I have shot all bullet weights with it, but it really shines with the bullet weight you are shooting now. And as was said by another, 7828 is a great choice too. You could be onto some thing with the lead sled thing! It does change the harmonics, versus when the gun is shouldered, or bagged. Save the RL 25 for the heavy weights would be my recommendation. I would like to recommend the 140 TSX. My Sako absoleutely loves those things. My #1 sendero STW loves 140 CT bullets. FWIW, my all time favorite 140 load is, 79.3-RL22-140 CT, BT, TSX. Federal 215, @ 3.670 for Remingtons, and 3.701 for Sako. You can duplicate that load with 7828. The latter, is a tad slower, but it has worked for me. Good luck, and feel free to ask for advice.

Tagging this for later

Do any of you know where I can get a Sako M995 stock for a 7STW?gun)

Good luck finding one for your m995. As I understand, McMillian isn't making them anymore. That other site, that was previously mentioned "Stocky's" doesn't even show an option to pick the m995.
The problem with the m995 is the bottom metal is an integral part of the stock. So for someone to manufacture a stock for it, they also have to built the bottom metal. I believe McMillan used to do this but no longer offer the service.

I am building a custom off off a m995 action, I ordered a Kinetic Research Whiskey 3 Chassis for mine. That really isn't an option if you are building a hunting rifle. Finding a used one online, through snipershide, sakocollectors, etc. might be your best option. Factory originals are hard to find as well.

You are correct McMillian does not make them any more. The people who made the metal part don't make that any more either. This is a shooter I hate to junk it. But I can probally buy another rifle for what it will cost to fix this one unless I find a factory take off.