7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

7stw. I wasn't planning on setting the bullet on the lands, I was just checking to see what coal would be with bullet on the lands. I'm new to this reloading stuff and have no one here at home to teach me so I come to you guys for help. I'm going to load some today at max oal 3.6?? and see if they will cycle in my gun. Then I'm going to load up a few with different RL25 loads and see if I can get my velocity right at 3400 safely. Then load up a few with the charge of choice and start playing with seating depths and find the most accurate group. Does this sound like the right plan to follow ?

Ogle buck, you are on the right track, and my thoughts are that you are easily going to be able to get your goal. To be honest, ( senior moment), I forgot if you have a Remington, or Winchester. The Remington will yield about .038 longer then the Winchester. The Remington action will let you go to about 3.688 +-. whereas, the Winchester will allow a max length of about 3.630. I have both actions, and it typically dosen't matter, as max box length loads in both, shoot great. Actually, the Winchester actually even likes a little shorter.
Your approach is spot on, and you are going to do fine. Take care, and keep us posted on your progress. lightbulb

Stupid people, geeze I hate this panic attack crap.

I was all set up to start getting things together for a good load workup with the STW, and got caught with my pants down and didn't get any of the powders I REALLY wanted to try out.

I guess I will go with that I can scrounge up in the closet. I think I have some 1000 and some 7828, and if I am REALLY lucky some 22 and 25. I'm not holding my breath on the latter though I seem to remember an empty bottle of 22 after loading the daughter some hunting rounds for her 25-06.

Wish me luck........

Stupid people, geeze I hate this panic attack crap.

I was all set up to start getting things together for a good load workup with the STW, and got caught with my pants down and didn't get any of the powders I REALLY wanted to try out.

I guess I will go with that I can scrounge up in the closet. I think I have some 1000 and some 7828, and if I am REALLY lucky some 22 and 25. I'm not holding my breath on the latter though I seem to remember an empty bottle of 22 after loading the daughter some hunting rounds for her 25-06.

Wish me luck........

41mag,
I think we ALL got caught with our pants down. And depending on where you live, some places are worse then others. I was told just yesterday of a decent size gunshop, that has turned into empty shelves, and racks. EVERYthing is gone. And sadly, I don't think we are even at the bottom yet. Keepin our fingers crossed!!!!!!

I had not thought of pillar bedding the factory stock and had failed once at reinforcing the forearm, but i like that idea. I love a sleeper, might have to start that project sooner than later! I have it assembled,and I like the fit. Can't wait for my dies to get here. once i figure out posting pictures I'll upload one.

41mag,
I think we ALL got caught with our pants down. And depending on where you live, some places are worse then others. I was told just yesterday of a decent size gunshop, that has turned into empty shelves, and racks. EVERYthing is gone. And sadly, I don't think we are even at the bottom yet. Keepin our fingers crossed!!!!!!
I've been keeping a good bit on hand ever since we got the current looney in chief. He caused two panics already, I'm betting on at least one more before we show him the door.

I have a sako M995 7stw It shoots great!! Or it did until my stock broke. I have found a Sako M995 300 win mag stock I can buy. Does anyone know if the 7stw action will fit the 300 mag stock?

I have a sako M995 7stw It shoots great!! Or it did until my stock broke. I have found a Sako M995 300 win mag stock I can buy. Does anyone know if the 7stw action will fit the 300 mag stock?

If the stock for the 300 is for a V action, you should be ok. Sako has like, 5 action lengths. The V ,( 5) being the longest one. I know that's how the 75's are.

Thanks! I really love this rifle it shoots well with different bulets an does not change much like other rifles which either like the load or not. I have a load worked up that shoots good. I want to get it back in service.:)

Thanks! I really love this rifle it shoots well with different bulets an does not change much like other rifles which either like the load or not. I have a load worked up that shoots good. I want to get it back in service.:)

I also have a Sako M995 in 7stw (that I love but am trying to sell). What is your pet load and how did the stock break?

I load 85 grains Retumbo behind a 139 grain hornady SPBT. It groups nice little groups out of my M995. These stocks have a weak area in the pistol grip area. It broke easy and I had a guy repair it. It worked fine as he reinforced it with to plates. However I did not have it far enough back in my safe and the bottom rest on the door hit the stock just right when I close the door and it broke in the same area. Make sure you check this area for any cracks.

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think Sako uses the multiple action lengths in the m995's. They may have magnum and regular, but they may use the same stocks and action length as well.

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think Sako uses the multiple action lengths in the m995's. They may have magnum and regular, but they may use the same stocks and action length as well.

Fire306, you are in fact probably right, as I am referring to the Sako 75. And I could be totally wrong about the numbers of action sizes in that series s well. I was told by someone awhile back that Sako had a few different size actions in the 75 series. My Sako 75 was a " V" action, and I am only assuming that meant 5.
To be honest, I actually miss that rifle as it was a good shooter, once I found what it liked. I do know one thing, that 75 allowed the longest OAL that I know of in a STW, and still fit in the box. I think I had some thar were 3.700 OAL. And, I loved the box magazine it had as well.
Again, pardon my assumption that all the series have different size actions. Take care!

Fire306, you are in fact probably right, as I am referring to the Sako 75. And I could be totally wrong about the numbers of action sizes in that series s well. I was told by someone awhile back that Sako had a few different size actions in the 75 series. My Sako 75 was a " V" action, and I am only assuming that meant 5.
To be honest, I actually miss that rifle as it was a good shooter, once I found what it liked. I do know one thing, that 75 allowed the longest OAL that I know of in a STW, and still fit in the box. I think I had some thar were 3.700 OAL. And, I loved the box magazine it had as well.
Again, pardon my assumption that all the series have different size actions. Take care!

You are correct about the STW being a "V" action. The 75's were built in 5 action lengths, I, III, SM, IV and V. "I" being 222, 223, "II"was 260, 308 lengths cartridges, "SM" was the 270 and 300 WSM, "IV" was the 30-06 length cartridges, and "V" was the magnums or long action stuff.
The newer model 85 series Sako's they now call the action lengths, XS, S, SM, M and L. Not sure why they changed, Sako has used the I, II, IV, V method for years.
The m995 though, from what I understand is that they are all the same action length, although they were built in a normal m995 model and a magnum m995 model. The part I'm not sure of is whether or not the stocks are the same for both the magnum and regular m995's. I think the only difference is basically the bolt, and more specifically the bolt face is larger for the magnum chamberings.

If someone could clarify this for sure, I would appreciate the info.

I just sold my Sako 75, in STW. It was a great rifle, and yes the magazine length allows 3.700" OAL. I only sold the 75, because I have acquired this m995 that I spoke of earlier, that I am going to customize. The factory m995 magazine allows 3.730" OAL, and when I get the Whiskey 3 chassis, it used a AI CIP magazine, and from what I have read it allows 3.850" OAL.