7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Rick, I have that same exact rifle, and it truly a treasure. I was in the process of building a custom STW this past spring, and this Custom Sharpshhooter became available. I made a few sacrifices, and now I own it.
Mine will shoot almost anything I put through it. It loves 160 Speer Grand Slams, but it shoots 140 partitions like a dream. My load data is 82.0-RL25-140 partition @ 3.630 OAL, with a 215 Federal Gold Medal primer. My velocity runs around 3370 ish, and is very accurate. You mentioned that yours has a HS Precision stock. Mine has a bedded McMillan stock, that fits it like a glove. All else is the same, Schneider stainless, blueprinted action, etc. My barrel cleans very easy, and hardly fouls. I shoot two shot groups, let it cool, fire two more. Otherwise, after the second shot, the barrel gets pretty warm, and the third shot is out, but not enough to miss a deer. She will print two shots at a half inch at 200 yards al day if I do my part.
Your second question about the TSX is most decidedly a yes from me anyway, and a few other " brothers" here as well. My sharpshooter also shot that bullet also with the same formula as above, using the 140 TSX. My bullet of choice is the Barns LRX in 145 grain. Nice rifle there my friend, and " Welcome to The Brotherhood". :)lightbulb

Bob.

Hi Bob, thankyou for the info, glad to hear all good things about it. I purchased it at a local gun store brand new and have yet to fire it! It came with a HS Precesion shot target, load data and pics of target. I will try to post a picture of it on here. I cant wait to try some of these loads as I want to start handloading next year! Thanks again. Rick

Do you think RL-22, 4831sc, or 4350 would be a better choice for 150 TTSX in a short barrel?
of those only rl22 is truly great in the 7stw. H4831 can be made to work with lighter bullets, but it is better for fire forming, etc.. 4350 is simply quite fast for this round. My pops has shot rl22 and 140's for 10+ years in his 7stw and it has been very lethal to 600+ yards.

Do you think RL-22, 4831sc, or 4350 would be a better choice for 150 TTSX in a short barrel?
Rl22 is really great and really sensetive and I mean really sensitive to outside Temps 4831 and 4350 wont be enough with the short tube (or with a long tube for that matter)Like I said the H-1000 is one of my all time favorites for this cal with RL25 running neck and neck with it IMO the H-1000 is less prone to temp changes but The 25 hasnt shown any signs of instabilatiy either so far and I shouldnt say "wont work" because both the 4831 and 4830 will work ....they just wont give you the numbers you will be looking for

H1000 is my std. powder for the STW. The 140's are the lightest bullet I have been able to get dependable accuracy with.

Jim

Jsthntn, I don't know what powder is going to be your " best " choice, as most of the above mentioned powder from the " brothers" is still going to be too slow in the barrel length that you have. Using a 22 inch barrel, it is difficult to get a 280 to burn all the 4350, and 140-150 grain bullets. What you have is a fairly overbore cartridge, and nor enough barrel to burn all the powder in. Obviously a faster powder is in order, but here is the caveat. Even with 4350, and a stout load, it all isn't going to burn in the barrel, and you are going to have a huge air space above the powder charge which sets up a scenario called the " secondary explosion effect" this is when the air above the powder charge actually gets ignited, and skyrockets chamber pressures. Usually, you can get a STW to shoot fairly well with a 24 inch barrel, and not sacrifice too much speed. But a 22 inch barrel is a whole other story, and a new set of rules. Yeah, probably H4350 would probably be your best and only option, but the muzzle blast is still going to be ferocious. You probably will not be able to get the usual velocities that are customary for a STW either. Good luck in your search, but approach your loads VERY cautiously.

My neighbor says he uses 73.7 grains of 4350 in both his stw's with great groups. I checked Barnes website and 73.0 grains of imr 4350 was their most accurate powder for the 150's. I wouldn't think 74 grains would be that small of a charge in relation to case size to cause detonation.

My neighbor says he uses 73.7 grains of 4350 in both his stw's with great groups. I checked Barnes website and 73.0 grains of imr 4350 was their most accurate powder for the 150's. I wouldn't think 74 grains would be that small of a charge in relation to case size to cause detonation.
this case(the 7stw) will hold 95 grains of ball or 86-90 grains(depending on kernel size) of stick powder with no trouble-- more if you work at it. I like rl25 better as others have said, but I've seen rl22 in action and it'll do very well with the right load. I simply don't burn much H, so I probably do give them short thrift at times, but when I try the two side by side, rl has usually won the battle.

Ok so here's tha game plan, well sort of anyway.

Since getting back on LRH and reading this entire thread first to last post, I have garnered up some motivation to put a load together for mine. So far I have simply been head over heals happy shooting the Federal factory 150gr Nosler Solid Base loads I got for a song.

That said I also have the standard 7 RM in a Sendero as well. Then there is the Ruger 77 in the Varmint rig chambered in .280 Rem. I was going to AI the .280 until I found out they only put 2K of them together. Sort of took the winds out of my sail for that one. I'm thinking of giving it to a nephew for Christmas anyway so it is out.

Back to the other 7's. For the standard RM I am thinking of using the 139gr SPBT from Hornady, and then using the 162gr version for the STW. I have used the 162 in the standard with great accuracy and taken several deer and plenty of hos with them. It's a decent bullet for the ranges I will most likely be shooting.

As for cases, well I have plenty of Rem, Win, and Fed on hand so just picking which one is the most accurate will be the test.

Primers will more than likely be the Fed GM's, but I have a good selection to choose from so I am sure I will paly with a couple at least.

For powders, I am looking at giving H-1000 a ride as well as possibly trying out some RL-25. I have plenty of both to the effect that IF I did find a load I could probably use up the remainder of the barrel with either, and still have some.

The kicker in all of this is that I also have a decent supply of the 154gr Hornady Interbonds which have really been pulling hard on me to try out. With the factory loads I think they are running in the mid 3200fps range, and I am hoping that I might be able to ease the 154's up there as well. Just have to tinker with it and see. I haven't seen many put up anything on them. I have seen a couple of Nosler AB's mentioned, but nothing from Hornady in their bonded bullets. Anyone given them a try?

So what say you all on which might be the best route to go? Remember I still have the smaller 7 RM to deal with once I get the bigger one up and running. Like I said, I think it will do VERY well with the 139's once I move up in weight with the STW. It will be after the first of the year before I can dive off into this head first so I have time to get organized at least before I get around to it.

I think you are going to be safe with that load, but the point I was really trying to make is that she is going to be Howitzer loud, and only seven mag fast, maybe! That four inches of barrel loss is quite a handicap. Is your neighbors barrel the same length as yours? Any velocity readings?
I didn't say it earlier, but Welcome to the Brotherhood. Hope things work out for you.

Ok so here's tha game plan, well sort of anyway.

Since getting back on LRH and reading this entire thread first to last post, I have garnered up some motivation to put a load together for mine. So far I have simply been head over heals happy shooting the Federal factory 150gr Nosler Solid Base loads I got for a song.

That said I also have the standard 7 RM in a Sendero as well. Then there is the Ruger 77 in the Varmint rig chambered in .280 Rem. I was going to AI the .280 until I found out they only put 2K of them together. Sort of took the winds out of my sail for that one. I'm thinking of giving it to a nephew for Christmas anyway so it is out.

Back to the other 7's. For the standard RM I am thinking of using the 139gr SPBT from Hornady, and then using the 162gr version for the STW. I have used the 162 in the standard with great accuracy and taken several deer and plenty of hos with them. It's a decent bullet for the ranges I will most likely be shooting.

As for cases, well I have plenty of Rem, Win, and Fed on hand so just picking which one is the most accurate will be the test.

Primers will more than likely be the Fed GM's, but I have a good selection to choose from so I am sure I will paly with a couple at least.

For powders, I am looking at giving H-1000 a ride as well as possibly trying out some RL-25. I have plenty of both to the effect that IF I did find a load I could probably use up the remainder of the barrel with either, and still have some.

The kicker in all of this is that I also have a decent supply of the 154gr Hornady Interbonds which have really been pulling hard on me to try out. With the factory loads I think they are running in the mid 3200fps range, and I am hoping that I might be able to ease the 154's up there as well. Just have to tinker with it and see. I haven't seen many put up anything on them. I have seen a couple of Nosler AB's mentioned, but nothing from Hornady in their bonded bullets. Anyone given them a try?

So what say you all on which might be the best route to go? Remember I still have the smaller 7 RM to deal with once I get the bigger one up and running. Like I said, I think it will do VERY well with the 139's once I move up in weight with the STW. It will be after the first of the year before I can dive off into this head first so I have time to get organized at least before I get around to it.

41mag,
You have some good ideas, and sounds like you just did a awful lot of reading if you read the whole thread. WOW.
I will comment on the 154 Interbonds. I have some 154 spire point flat bases, and they shoot well in any 7 bore I have. I don't know if the Interbonds you have are flat or boat tail. It dosen't matter. I think it is a great weight, and if you gun likes to digest them, your hunting is over. The 139 is also a great bullet, in which I experimented with in my Sako 75, and that gun loved them, and they were fast. I think they would be deer lightning!!!!
The H1000 works very well, is the right burn rate, and is not temp sensitive , as it is one of the " extreme" powders Hodgdon has.
Seems like to me that you have a good game plan. I'm doing a little planning myself. It involves something in seven millimeter diameter, and is a long action. It envolves a Winchester action, and either a Lilja barrel, or a Kreiger barrel. Time will tell. Plannining is fun. Plan your work, work your plan, and enjoy!!!!!

I ruined a batch of irreplaceable Winchester 7STW brass by turning the necks so that I could use a bushing die.I only turned the brass enough to totally clean up the neck. Unless you have a tight necked chamber I do not advise using an undersized bushing, all I accomplished was developing inconsistent neck tension resulting in very poor accuracy. If you aren't going to turn the necks why not just use a neck sizing die?

Has anyone had any experience reloading their 7mm STW with a Redding Competition Bushing Neck Die Set?

Thanks!
I use the redding competition bushing neck die with my 7mm STW, I went for a tighter spec neck on my reamer and turned acouple of thou off my brass then set the bushing up for approx 2 thou neck tension.
I think you will find that Benchrest shooters are the leaders when it comes down to running minimal neck tension.
Had trouble with variable neck thickness with my latest batch of Remington brass which resulted in a 40 - 50% neck turn.

Regards Steve.