7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

has anyone tried the vv-570 with 168 or 180 vld's. I have some so i was going to try just thinking someone on here has to have already done that.

No, I have been fortunate to have a few better ones already mounted.

Bobs, nice animal, and it's tough to beat, if not impossible to beat the performance of a Partition. Some guns have a tough time getting them to shoot, but if you do get to shoot, your search is over. One of my STW's shoot them like a dream, and I looked no more. I tried to break it in this past season, but it wasn't in the cards, but I broke in one of them anyway. Nice shot, beautiful animal. Gotta love the DRT too!!!!

I shot a doe tonight at 100-120 yards with 160 accubonds, I thought I missed but I found patches of hair where I shot her. I called my buddy and we started to track it. We immediately found pink chunks of blood I knew it was a good hit in the lungs. She ran and ran leaving very little blood and we finally found her. Perfect shot and I flipped her over and there was a baseball size exit wound and a chunk of her lung was clogging up the hole and hindered a major blood trail. Deer has a major will to live. I found it unbelievable that a massive hole like that and how far she ran (atleast 75yds) it felt like longer because of the thick cover. Thank the good lord I found her. Have y'all had a perfect shot on an animal before and very little blood before?

James, yeah, I had a similar experience about 3 years ago, to which I have no good explanation for. Opening morning, I had a decent five pointer come running across the field, from behind me at about 235 yards. I whistled, he stopped, I aimed and fired. He dropped as if hit, but got up and ran into the woods about 60 yards, and disappeared. Well long story short, we found him, after dis believing I missed. The " autopsy" revealed that the deer had no reason to get up and run, because he had no plumbing that worked anymore. Both lungs were jello, and the heart was severely damaged. One inch plus exit to boot. That deer is in a dead run when I stopped him, and was full of adrenaline, and that is the only answer I have that makes sense. The bullet was a 165, Accubond coming from a 300 ultra, at about 3380 +-. They truly do have a will that we will never understand, as to how they can cover ground like they do, even if the plumbing is gone, and the fluids are drained out too. But as long as I can walk and shoot, I'll still be in the woods every fall.

has anyone tried the vv-570 with 168 or 180 vld's. I have some so i was going to try just thinking someone on here has to have already done that.

Gerry, I have not tried the 570, but I have used n170 . These two powders are related, but the 570 is said to be a high energy powder. I was enjoying great accuracy with the n170, but only had a short supply of it, and I am told that that Vihtavouri has dis continued it. The 570 has taken it's place. Using the 180 bullet, I think it would be perfect. VV'sload data is very conservative, but if you want some good data, talk to some of the techs at Sinclair. Those guys are very helpful, and have steered me down the right road a few times. Most of those guys are bench rest shooters, and a few are hunters as well. Good luck with the powder choice. If that don't work for you, try the RL 25. I have had very good success with that powder.take care, and Happy Holidays.

Update : Killed a 7 point Whitetail this morning. 220yds. DRT dropped like a sack of rocks. I shot this deer with a 180 VLD behind the shoulder and found the bullet fragments just under the hide in the top of his neck. Internial damage was like a bomb went off. Not exactly my choice of results. I will be glad when I get my LRX's loaded up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 12
Update : Killed a 7 point Whitetail this morning. 220yds. DRT dropped like a sack of rocks. I shot this deer with a 180 VLD behind the shoulder and found the bullet fragments just under the hide in the top of his neck. Internial damage was like a bomb went off. Not exactly my choice of results. I will be glad when I get my LRX's loaded up.

Oglebuck, nice deer, and a nice shot too, and I'm glad that you were able to recover your game. And for what you just stated, that is why I switched to the Barnes bullet. I will and must admit, that the Berger bullet is/ was one of the most accurate I had shot up to that point, but was horribly dis appointed in terminal results. Bottom line, is IMHO, you can't hyperdrive the Berger bullet. But I do know this, you can send a LRX out on a mission at 3440, and still shoot clean through an animal at about 300 yards.
I am tickled with the way mine shoots, and I just ordered two boxes of the 168 LRX, that I want to try in my sons 7 mag, and my 700P as well. My custom gun I built in the spring shots them like varmint rifle accuracy, and the ES, and SD are very low. You won't be disappointed, I'm sure. Nice buck there buddy. It beats having a tag sandwich!!!!!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BOYS...might be beter off not listing loads from
the old days with aa8700 the primers got the worst of those " figuring loads out" days... setled on 81 gr of re 25 behind swift scirocco 150 gn @3350
have built 3 sepertate stw rifles all for hunting started in 1993-94 ish
got bitten by laynes shooting time article from 1989...held back for awhile
LAYNE ALWAYS PROMOTES 26" TUBES i prefer 24" for hunting
have a 24" stainless from a 257 wby that will soon become a 257 stw
with all the blast in a 24" barrel .... i say let it burn
this case is not for everyone but i like it

the old days with aa8700 the primers got the worst of those " figuring loads out" days... setled on 81 gr of re 25 behind swift scirocco 150 gn @3350
I love the7mm Stw but I built a 257stw and the results were not that great

Lefty, I think your going to be happy with that load. Good bullet, great powder, and velocity to boot.
I tried that AA8700 a long time ago. I never could get it to shoot right, and it is hard to lite too. Velocities all over the place too. I really love the RL25. that stuff is as near to perfect for this case as anything else I've used. I was a die hard RL 22 fan for a long time, and finally gave the 25 a try, and I've never looked back. The 22 runs good in my sons 7 mag, and my 300 win mag. And yeah, I'd say you probably will get a little " muzzle flash" with a 24 inch barrel in either caliber mentioned. Maybe try a little faster burn rate to off set the shorter barrel. 7828 ?. Just a thought. Take care.

Mine is a Winchester Custom shop rilfe know as the classic sharpshooter II. Specs are HS Precision stock blue printed model 70 action with a 26' Schneider barrel. Sent to me with the rifle was a 5 shot group target that printed under .5 inches at 100 yards with 150g Sierra GK, 76g of RL22 with a 3.86 OAL, chrony read around 3,150 fps or so. Has any one had any good results with barnes tsx? If so any load recommendations? I purchased a few boxes of Winchester Supreme 140 CT silver tips at a fear price and am concerned with them blowing up on deer sized game. Any suggestions?

These pics do not belong here as neither of these bucks were killed with my STW but this is hands down the best thread on this entire site so I thought it was only fitting to put them here. The first pic is my Alberta Whitetail shot on Remembrance day here in Canada (Nov. 11) and the second pic is my Saskatchewan Whitetail shot Nov. 29th on the last day of my hunt. Enjoy and I promise next year only STW harvests!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Sask Buck.jpg
    Sask Buck.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 16
These pics do not belong here as neither of these bucks were killed with my STW but this is hands down the best thread on this entire site so I thought it was only fitting to put them here. The first pic is my Alberta Whitetail shot on Remembrance day here in Canada (Nov. 11) and the second pic is my Saskatchewan Whitetail shot Nov. 29th on the last day of my hunt. Enjoy and I promise next year only STW harvests!!
Who cares Brother ......Nice Deer

Sako, I will ditto my brother," Butterbeans" statement. Who f^*>€€! ing cares what they were shot with. That first one is a brute. Alberta is one of my bucket list locations that I want to hunt before I take a dirt nap. I would need to take a garden hose to myself after taking one of those. Awesome dude. So we will forgive you for not making the harvest with a STW, but don't do it again:D Enjoy the memories, and have a wonderful holiday season!!!!!

Recent Posts