7mm Rem Mag load for Elk size game at 700 yards.

Never said that bullet placement isn't vital. That's exactly why I choose heavier, higher BC bullets for my long range rifles (7RM, 300WM and Edge). Although faster and lighter may shoot "flatter", I think it's easy to add a few clicks on elevation for a rifle shooting a heavier, higher BC bullet. Where I shoot, it's the wind that will cause you headaches. I was shooting the other day in some conditions where the wind was blowing from 6 o'clock one second and then 3 o'clock the next and gusting form 10 to 18 mph. A heavier, higher BC bullet will dope wind better then a lighter, faster bullet. My experience is that the heavy bullet may need 1MOA more elevation but will be 3-4 MOA less adjustment in the same wind at 1000yds. I used to be in the lighter, faster camp and got pretty good out to 600 yds. But beyond that, I just couldn't be consistent with gusting winds. The OP for this thread was asking for 7RM loads for Elk out to 700 yds. I don't consider that distance to be too extreme and would have no issue shooting an elk with my 7RM and a 168 Berger. I've shot elk close to that range with my 300WM and 180 Accubonds so I know it can be done. It's just easier with a heavy, high BC bullet IMHO. No matter what bullet or load one chooses to shoot, there is no substitute for practice. Go out and shoot a lot in the conditions you're going to be hunting in.

Never said that bullet placement isn't vital. That's exactly why I choose heavier, higher BC bullets for my long range rifles (7RM, 300WM and Edge). Although faster and lighter may shoot "flatter", I think it's easy to add a few clicks on elevation for a rifle shooting a heavier, higher BC bullet. Where I shoot, it's the wind that will cause you headaches. I was shooting the other day in some conditions where the wind was blowing from 6 o'clock one second and then 3 o'clock the next and gusting form 10 to 18 mph. A heavier, higher BC bullet will dope wind better then a lighter, faster bullet. My experience is that the heavy bullet may need 1MOA more elevation but will be 3-4 MOA less adjustment in the same wind at 1000yds. I used to be in the lighter, faster camp and got pretty good out to 600 yds. But beyond that, I just couldn't be consistent with gusting winds. The OP for this thread was asking for 7RM loads for Elk out to 700 yds. I don't consider that distance to be too extreme and would have no issue shooting an elk with my 7RM and a 168 Berger. I've shot elk close to that range with my 300WM and 180 Accubonds so I know it can be done. It's just easier with a heavy, high BC bullet IMHO. No matter what bullet or load one chooses to shoot, there is no substitute for practice. Go out and shoot a lot in the conditions you're going to be hunting in.

I couldn't agree more. Pdogs are great for this, if you can hit a pdog at a given distance anything from speed goats to moose is easy pickings at the same range.

Not sure what you mean about comparing apples to apples. I have a .260 a 7mm RM and a 300 WM and 338 Edge. You talk about similar bullet weights. Let's compare similar BC. I shoot a 180grn Hybrid in my 7mm with a G7BC of .345 and I shoot a 215grn. Hybrid out of my 300 with a BC of .356, slight advantage to the 300. But, I can also shoot the 215grn Berger over 100fps faster out of my 300 then the 180grn Berger in the 7mm. Higher BC and higher velocity. Now which one would you choose??

Just went and checked my load notes, I guess it's only 95 fps faster. Still an advantage.

I really do not take hand loading into account just because I do not reload myself. I was comparing the the HSM with the berger VLD's. My whole point was was the if you take the same grain 30cal vs a 7mm the 7mm will always have a better BC with no exception of my knowledge. I am not here to argue with anybody but the over the counter 7mm rounds (which I know I am the only guy on this sight probably not hand loading) have better BC than the 30cal's.

Yawn... This topic again? Same ol' same ol. It goes this way every time. "You can't kill elk with a 7 mag, you HAVE TO HAVE A 300!" What bull crap.

Yawn... This topic again? Same ol' same ol. It goes this way every time. "You can't kill elk with a 7 mag, you HAVE TO HAVE A 300!" What bull crap.

Sorry to disappoint but as mentioned earlier I just shot a 410 point Bull Elk in New Zealand last week with a 7mm Rem Mag.

Nothing wrong with the 7mm ; did the job perfectly.

Last edited:
totally agree witht he bullet placement on about any shot. i was curious as to if you would target a different spot on one of theese aimals depending on distance. seeing that some of theese bullets are recomended for 200-300 yards out for proper exspansion. what if you see that monster at 50 yards? do you shoot and hope that the bullet doesnt pass right through them or dissentigrate before it penetrates? i read a couple of stories about massive wounds but not killing the animal.
i knwo this is for elk sized game but would the 180 bergers be good for everything out west? i have some 160 noslers now but wanted to get my hands on some bergers to test the accuracy aswell when i get the setup finnished.

I shoot deer in Australia with my 338-378 Wby (300 grain SMK at 2830 fps) and also with my 338 SnipeTac (300 grain SMK at 3250 fps)

Have taken Red deer and Elk/Wapiti and Red/Elk hybrids at 560 / 762 / and recently at 850 yards and closer at 200 yards.

At all of those ranges the animals were obliterated and literally dropped dead on the spot. They did not take one step as they died on the spot.

In fact the recovered bullet from the 850 yard shot started off at 300 grains and ended up at 39 grains, yes 39 grains and it flattened the Red/Elk hybrid at 850 yards.

All shots were shoulder shots, broke the shoulder and created massive trauma in that region.
Meat damage was enormous.

Hope this helps to put things into some perspective.

I really do not take hand loading into account just because I do not reload myself. I was comparing the the HSM with the berger VLD's. My whole point was was the if you take the same grain 30cal vs a 7mm the 7mm will always have a better BC with no exception of my knowledge. I am not here to argue with anybody but the over the counter 7mm rounds (which I know I am the only guy on this sight probably not hand loading) have better BC than the 30cal's.

I guess I missed the part about only comparing over the counter loads. I had my 7RM built five years ago because of the 180 Berger and it was better then what I could get for my 300WM. In fact my 300 hadn't been shot since the 7mm was completed. But with the 215 Berger coming out, I decided to dust it off and give them a try. What I found was that I could shoot a heavier, higher BC bullet faster. Makes my job easier. I'm actually thinking about going back to shooting the 168 Berger in the 7RM because I can shoot it quite a bit faster then the 180 and I get the same accuracy. I wouldn't hesitate to use this combo on elk either. Heck, I used my 270 and 130 grain bullets for years and killed elk.

Now, one more thing. I only look at both my 7RM and 300 WM as 700-800 yd. rifles. Notice I said rifles and not cartridges. Both of my riles are sub 8lb. packages. The cartridges are capable of far more, and I've used the 7RM to kill game to over 900 yds. But, and it's a huge "But", neither the 7mm or 300 are as easy to shoot at true long range as my 13lb. Edge.

The 7RM is a great round and fully capable of taking elk out to true long range distances. Find a good load and then go practice, practice, practice. Then when you're done doing that, practice some more.

When I was a wee little boy at 16 years of age, I wanted to buy my own gun.

I am shooting the same 7mm I bought in 1984. I am putting 5 inch group at 1000 yards. I think that is rather amazing for an off the shelf hunting rifle. My wood stock broke so I put a synthetic stock on, its not pillar bedded or glass bedded yet. I plan to do it soon. Sorry I went on and on.

You were born in '76? Lucky you, you're just a kid! Nice .5 MOA shooting.

I first shot a 7mmRM in '68 (my older brother's), but have not had a chance to go elk hunting even once yet, but it's definitely on my bucket list. Now almost 50 years later I am loading for my own 7RM. Barnes TTSX and LRX. But I'm wondering if the 145 LRX going out at 3150+ is enough for these famously tough creatures at 500 - 600 yards. Do we need more weight when we have a bullet that stays together and is going proportionately faster?

LoL, I jumped on this thread because I met a guy from Colo yesterday who was saying a 270 win was very marginal for elk, and that he only shoots them with his 300 Wby because they're so tough. Then I see people on the 6.5 Grendel site showing pics of an elk they shot at under 200 yards with one of those. Holy smokes, what an extreme spread! Anyway, I've been planning on using my 270 or more likely 7RM for elk. I shoot mostly TTSX because at speed they have never failed me.

So guys, if I want to go to 600 with a 7mm TTSX, should I be looking at heavier than a 145gr LRX @3150fps for shooting through tough spots like shoulders? I think longer shots would be better with a heavier VLD or something else that expands at lower velocities.

LoL, I jumped on this thread because I met a guy from Colo yesterday who was saying a 270 win was very marginal for elk, and that he only shoots them with his 300 Wby because they're so tough. Then I see people on the 6.5 Grendel site showing pics of an elk they shot at under 200 yards with one of those. Holy smokes, what an extreme spread! Anyway, I've been planning on using my 270 or more likely 7RM for elk. I shoot mostly TTSX because at speed they have never failed me.

So guys, if I want to go to 600 with a 7mm TTSX, should I be looking at heavier than a 145gr LRX @3150fps for shooting through tough spots like shoulders? I think longer shots would be better with a heavier VLD or something else that expands at lower velocities.

Don't tell the 25 or so bulls that I shot with my 6.5 that they aren't dead yet. I hate chasin'em at my age!:D

Don't tell the 25 or so bulls that I shot with my 6.5 that they aren't dead yet. I hate chasin'em at my age!:D

Grendel? Creedmoor? 260 X? I do know someone who took a bull with a 260 Nosler. As we have seen, many would argue that's a pretty skinny bullet for a big bad elk. I mean if they think the 7 is marginal, then...:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.